Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 237

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 388857 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3480 on: October 06, 2022, 04:45:56 pm »

How about

Hey someone else needs to run a founders-type game so I can actually play in it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 06, 2022, 05:21:25 pm »

Can you give me 5 extra hours a day?

I have #ideas for it but need to sort my rather overloaded to do list first.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 07, 2022, 04:37:16 am »

Not entirely true; I can confirm at least that he DID get himself excluded from a FEF over trying to co-opt (read; steal) someone else's application to that game on this very forum, which is what I believe he is partially referring to.
What's this?
That's this. Page 2ff. It's been a few years so I won't blame you for not remembering.

I'm still willing to accept the initial co-opting/stealing as a case of misunderstanding. The discussion that happened afterwards though was the kicker that led to your exclusion from that specific game because you've shown unwillingness to read the game's rulebook by excuse of autism. An extremely weak excuse considering a lot of people here are neurodiverse and manage to read the FEF rules, understand the FEF rules and create a character based on the FEF rules. Plus, back then you wanted things to be done closer to how D&D (presumably 5e) does things, a rulebook that is a lot thicker than FEF's rulebook, which undermined your very own excuse.

GMs can and will assist players to ease into the application process, but it is the unwritten rule that players will do their homework first before the GM is expected by the group to be a mentoring, guiding force upon request (and even then the player is expected to transform said guidance into a tangible result. There's a difference between guiding and babysitting).

As for more topic-relevant things, I've been thinking for a while how to utilize the Fight! 2nd Edition TRPG into a forum game format. I'm a huge sucker for fighting games and I love Fight! for emulating exactly that, but precisely because of that it's very demanding mechanically. The best solution I've came up with so far is running everything in the "Dramatic Combat" subsystem, which basically turns the mechanics from "Street Fighter the Game" to "Street Fighter the OVA/Animation" AKA things are more dynamic and Fire Balls and Dragon Punches are emotional highlights instead of a common tool.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 07, 2022, 07:31:03 am »

In roseheart’s, uh, defense, the “what’s this?” was him trying to state that he had provided evidence of the problem when it was someone else who made the post and he himself made no effort to do so.

That said I personally appreciate knowing the exact context that set all of this up. I went through a few FEFs when I had nothing else to do to try and get actual perspective yesterday but gave up once I got to the precovid times.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3484 on: October 07, 2022, 08:45:16 am »

I'm still willing to accept the initial co-opting/stealing as a case of misunderstanding.
Why would anyone assume malicious intent? How did that become the narrative.

Oh Paper just sent me this gem:
Subject: I mean this in the nicest way possible
You need to get off b12, and probably other forums, and really work on yourself. This is not be saying “leave, run away and never return”. This is me saying b12 clearly isn’t beneficial to your mental state if it takes you three years to come to terms with a situation in which you were the belligerent. I can see why you refused to share the source of your woes - the only person it threw under a bus was you.

Could the community be better? Of course, everything has room for improvement. But your actively toxic mindset with regards to the FG&RP community is entirely misplaced. You’re making statements based solely on your own limited experience and, instead of acknowledging that maybe you’re just seeing things through roseheart-colored glasses, you double down on your stance when people state otherwise. From my own personal experience, I’d say when someone gets to that point in a community they need to remove themselves for a period of time and recalibrate.

You clearly have an issue with a victim complex that you desperately need to address, and I hope you can find the help you pretty obviously need.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3485 on: October 07, 2022, 09:07:29 am »

The discussion that happened afterwards though was the kicker that led to your exclusion from that specific game because you've shown unwillingness to read the game's rulebook by excuse of autism.
It's not a mild diagnosis, I get government assistance for it. I need to reread unfamiliar material many, many times. Otherwise I don't even remember what I just read. (having a summary or simplified model helps. It's like, my mind is too zoomed in on the details, can't see the forest through the trees)

I used to think I could just tell people about it and they'd make compromises to be accommodating. (I got my diagnosis 2-3 years ago, when I been living on the street - or in my van, rather. I was homeless for about 4 years.)

Now days, I don't really bring it up. I just talk about the symptoms: "that's too dense for me to process" "I'm forgetful / easily distracted"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:23:25 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 07, 2022, 09:20:28 am »

What’s the point of posting my message to you here?

I was trying to be mature about it, keep from having this thread bogged down into a roseheart woe is me thread and instead try to maintain its actual purpose. I gave you legitimate advice I myself have taken. But you want to be petty and continue to stoke divion in this community. You can only do that so much before you’re actively blacklisted by people. But you want that, don’t you? To have an excuse to play the victim some more?

You definitely need to do more than just “take a walk”. And really, honestly, seriously do some introspection.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 07, 2022, 09:23:08 am »

The discussion that happened afterwards though was the kicker that led to your exclusion from that specific game because you've shown unwillingness to read the game's rulebook by excuse of autism.
It's not a mild diagnosis, I get government assistance for it. I need to reread unfamiliar material many, many times. Otherwise I don't even remember what I just read.

I used to think I could just tell people about it and they'd make compromises to be accommodating.

Now days, I don't really bring it up. I just talk about the symptoms: "that's too dense for me to process" "I'm forgetful / easily distracted"
That's not even a traditional hallmark of autism though? It might be found in conjunction with autism but it's not part of the diagnostic criteria, so it wouldn't be thought of as "caused by autism" or even "an especially severe case of autism". Other people with even exceptionally severe cases of autism would not necessarily (even more than likely, I think) have that particular experience.

The point is that you are trying to justify as caused by autism, to a group of people that includes many who have autism, possibly even moreso than you do, behavior that is unrelated and which they may not experience themselves.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 07, 2022, 09:37:07 am »

As for more topic-relevant things, I've been thinking for a while how to utilize the Fight! 2nd Edition TRPG into a forum game format. I'm a huge sucker for fighting games and I love Fight! for emulating exactly that, but precisely because of that it's very demanding mechanically. The best solution I've came up with so far is running everything in the "Dramatic Combat" subsystem, which basically turns the mechanics from "Street Fighter the Game" to "Street Fighter the OVA/Animation" AKA things are more dynamic and Fire Balls and Dragon Punches are emotional highlights instead of a common tool.
I think this is a sensible approach. Free-form action is definitely more suited to forum play, rather than blow-by-blow mechanical exchanges. When I've run RPGs here, I tend to chunk together all of a player's general intention into a single resolution and report. The more back and forth there is, the longer action resolution takes and the more likely a game is to fail.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3489 on: October 07, 2022, 09:51:30 am »

Forum games is what excites me. I spring out of bed each morning.

Unless a case can be made for disobedience or bad behavior, excluding sign ups for a game should be listed in the forum guidelines under bullying. Bay 12 FG&RP has a festering pro clique, elitist environment. If you want to play with just your friends, you shouldn't post your game on a public forum.

Fixed that for you. Also, just out of curiosity, could you point me to the offending games? I'm curious to see how it was handled.

This is the largest section on bay 12 (by on average more than 10 times!), only place that comes kinda close is general discussion(other games, a distant third...) ...what the hell are we doing here? lol

Are there any true Forum Game websites? It always seems an offshoot of a videogame or other interest.

That’s cool but you got some links for the last thing you shouted into the room before promptly leaving?

No Paper, I'm not going to call someone out.

Wasn't one of your games, you're fine.

Narrator: There we’re no links.

Why has no one made a pvp FEoF with two threads like an Arms Race?

Again, please provide proof that the issue you’re trying to make a hill to die on even exists.

No.

But I'd be willing to discuss random cases a host volunteered.

It's not impossible, but the main draw of FeF (as far as I can tell) is character driven interaction within an excessively crunchy tactical RPG— PvP would be a bit more difficult to draw out those kinds of interactions, and it's slow enough processing fights on a forum without wrangling two teams.

Not saying it couldn't be done though.
It's been tried before, on another forum, and rather conclusively cratered. Very few FEF players are actually interested in doing PVP, and even if they are, you have to have people willing and able to run two simultaneous games of a very intensive genre consistently, and two sets of players willing and able to play consistently. It's a huge ask.
What was it called?

Of course, roseheart could finally elaborate and prove me wrong. But I doubt it. If the only instance people brought up to support the “people being refused entry into games” is someone who was toxic enough that they got banned for the way they responded then we definitely don’t have the problem this dude is trying to paint.

(How many times did I try to bring up a different topic? How many times did you retread? It would be slanderous if I had given names if I was mistaken, and not the proper outlet if I wasn't. Bringing up my concerns on the general state of such thing is the most fair-minded way to have the discussion)

You not liking the replies to an argument you continued to instigate doesn't me make toxic. Paper, you're the one in my threads. You're the one who calls my games "minimal effort".

I should do better. But I think we both need to.

Characters in this game are all Fighters. There is no “zero-to-hero” progression here; the Fighters start the game as the most powerful martial artists in the setting and are only really challenged by another one of their own.

A Fighter is made up of three Basic Qualities: Strength, Speed, and Stamina. These are rated between -1 and 2, with an average Fighter rated as 0. This small range allows players to realize traditional fighting game archetypes more easily. Fighters are further defined by their Qualities, Weaknesses, Combat Skills, and Narrative Skills.

However, the most important aspect of any Fighter is their move list: the unique Special Moves that define that character’s abilities in combat. Fight! uses a robust effects-based system to enable players to define each Special Move as its own distinctive attack or utility power. If you have seen it in a fighting video game, it can be created in Fight!

While characters start as vastly powerful combatants, they still accumulate Glory through combat and other adventures, allowing them to further advance in Power Level, gaining new moves, Super Moves, and Combat Bonuses to help fine-tune the character’s individual fighting style.

Cool! Looks neat.

I've made gladiator/arena fighter and superhero games, a lot of them were card based. I did that because I felt the need to limit access to exciting/strong abilities.

Good luck sounds pretty cool.

I think this is a sensible approach. Free-form action is definitely more suited to forum play, rather than blow-by-blow mechanical exchanges. When I've run RPGs here, I tend to chunk together all of a player's general intention into a single resolution and report. The more back and forth there is, the longer action resolution takes and the more likely a game is to fail.

I've definitely seen this problem in RTD. I was adding a debuff for how many subactions there were. But it made my head spin. I just said fuck it, and drew a line at one action.

I could let unresolved actions auto complete over the appropriate number of turns, but hosting an 'auto-play' game didn't sound fun for me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 10:22:33 am by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 07, 2022, 10:14:17 am »

Yeah just conveniently leave out the times you said you actually would provide evidence or discuss the issue, or other people asking you to back up your claims. You can reframe the conversation as much as you want but anyone can just go back a couple pages and see you’re full of shit here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 07, 2022, 10:18:17 am »

Yeah just conveniently leave out the times you said you actually would provide evidence or discuss the issue, or other people asking you to back up your claims. You can reframe the conversation as much as you want but anyone can just go back a couple pages and see you’re full of shit here.
There's no purpose to continuing to argue about this. I can understand your frustration, but the best thing for everyone here would be to just stop.
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: October 07, 2022, 10:23:40 am »

There's no purpose to continuing to argue about this. I can understand your frustration, but the best thing for everyone here would be to just stop.
That, I can't agree with.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 07, 2022, 10:31:01 am »

I've definitely seen this problem in RTD. I was adding a debuff for how many subactions there were. But it made my head spin. I just said fuck it, and drew a line at one action.

Roll to Dodge, in general, is a simple and versatile framework - but it doesn't work for a lot of things. Having a mechanically 'crunchy' game with RTD goes against the spirit of the system, and while you can beat it into submission with enough house rules (1d6 is very swingy, for instance, so a better dice system would go a long way) at that point why not just do something custom instead of killing the RTD framework, stuffing it, and nailing it on display?
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3494 on: October 07, 2022, 10:35:16 am »

Yeah just conveniently leave out the times you said you actually would provide evidence
huh

or discuss the issue
Yes, when asked about it.
Awesome With Autism
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 237