Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Anyone play "pure" DF?  (Read 26962 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone play "pure" DF?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:23 pm »

But default is so PRETTY. Unless you're colourblind I guess.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »

Hahaha, pansies.
Can't manage a few hundred workers without some fancy smancy machine to do it for you?
I do everything the good old fashioned way!
The only time I play mods is when I make them myself.

It's not fun if it's not hard!
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 05:38:51 pm »

Originally, when I first started on 40d? Yes!

Now? I'm lazy, I like modding work-arounds. :p

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »

i ended my dwarf fortress season 1 because df therapist wouldent work on the fort from a older version D:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »

I mean how the game is just from the Bay 12 download page.

*Raise ma hand*

Although I think in my current main save I gave every single entity cities...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »

I play with dfhack, but only for digv to save time, stonesense for the occasional screenshot for the ascii impaired, and and the occasional reveal or prospect if I'm doing some science.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 04:32:24 pm »

I used to play it with a different Tileset using the Lazy Newb Pack. But that was only to get used to the game's complexity at the time when I was learning. Now I play it purely, leaving everything to default.
My post ends here.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »

Every time I read that someone doesn't like Dwarf Therapist, I'm almost astonished. I respect that each person's opinions about how to play Dwarf Fortress are and should be their own, and at the same time I can't help but wonder if the speaker was misinformed, or was introduced to it on a bad day or something.

Sometimes I catch myself quickly changing the labor designations on a dozen dwarves because of some minor insight about how to temporarily improve productivity and the smoothness of fort operations, and then a minute later changing most of them back to the normal ordering (and others to a new setup), simply because it was so easy to do on the Therapist sheet I barely thought about it. Things like making everyone in the recent migrant wave pick up goblin debris as they walk from the screening zone to the fortress proper, only to turn all their hauling back off again as they're on the way because only 80% of them were needed to clear it... Or switching the non-miners in the starting seven from herb clearing to wood hauling or masonry and back again, just to get all of that settled before the first summer starts. There's also the all-in-one happiness display, and how it makes everything so orderly and easy to read.

Curiously, could people describe reasons they prefer not to use Dwarf Therapist? As long as it doesn't derail the thread, of course. Other than that, I've been changing nothing except the init files in recent versions.

Edit: Also changed the color of "black" to 24/24/24 in colors.txt and set the tileset to the following image, to give everything a nice grid and cut down on harsh contrast:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:27:26 pm by Funburns »

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 05:56:38 pm »

I made a mod that let me play as all races with nobles, but other than that, I have always played vanilla.  I didn't like the way graphical sets couldn't distinguish between periods and dirt.  Also I play on linux.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

I use therapist because frankly I don't see the appeal of spending a lot of time navigating through obtuse menus. I'd rather be building something.

Tedium is never the same thing as difficulty, so that doesn't work either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 06:20:02 pm »

I played straight DF for one fort.  After that it was two pony forts and one using a custom species I put in the game.  I don't use any tools like Therapist though.

I've been kind of meaning to actually get back to playing vanilla, but so far haven't been bothered enough to.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

I changed to the square vanilla tileset, hide engravings, and disallow pet burial. If that disqualifies me since I'm essentially changing options, not modding, then so be it.

Oh, DT cuz I like to see everything at once, and I don't feel like continually updating a spreadsheet with all their skills.

Edit: oh, current game isn't vanilla. I modded a second race of dragons that have to tags to spawn them like wolves. So I'm constantly getting packs of 3-7 adult dragons. More fun that way :p
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:44:09 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »

I don't like Therapist because it sort of clunky and breaks the flow of the game. I've sort of reached the level of micromanagement where every single dwarf is playing to their strengths and don't need their labors to be mixed up so much.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:00 pm »

Curiously, could people describe reasons they prefer not to use Dwarf Therapist? As long as it doesn't derail the thread, of course. Other than that, I've been changing nothing except the init files in recent versions.
Happy to oblige.  I used to play with Therapist, and I used to think it was amazing.  But after a while I noticed that I was spending too much time obsessing about getting my labour setup just peachy perfect, and not any time actually playing the game.  So now I don't bother.  I think it's a great tool, and it taught me a lot about the game, but I don't use it anymore because I don't really need it.

The other reason is that these tools always lag behind the new releases by a few days, and I just HAVE to get that latest code to play with the new toys.  At the end of the day, if you want to play with the latest DF, then you've got to get the hang of Toady's interface.  If you want to fly to the moon, then you need to learn the controls for Apollo - if you wait for Apollo Therapist, then the rocket's going without you!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

daftfad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 08:37:13 pm »

I only play 'pure' DF in those small intervals when a new release comes out and the tools are unavailable. Those are dark times, indeed.

Tools:
dfhack (reveal, digv, tweak migrant, tweak ghost). DF is unbearable w/o reveal. Need to know where those annoying caverns are.
Dwarf Therapist

Modifications:
Remove scourges and whips
Remove aquifers
Make seeds and booze uncookable
Simplify soil types: sand, clay, fire clay, ooze
Simplify gems: (remove a bunch of same-value same-color blahs)
Simplify stones: (remove a bunch of same-value same-color blahs)
World gen things like prevent oceans to keep # of z-levels down. Oh how I despise z-levels. Also increase # of civs to get more wars.

And recently: Add a few more evil ambushing-sieging races. In my case, Deep Dwarves, Dark Elves, and Orcs - which are nearly identical to their normal varieties but are hostile to dwarven civs, and larger and meaner in the case of Orcs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8