Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Space Station 13 Remake  (Read 54065 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 Remake
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 08:28:38 am »

Also in low pressure the boiling point of water is lower, so your eyes and mouth would likely freeze.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 08:49:23 am »

Also in low pressure the boiling point of water is lower, so your eyes and mouth would likely freeze.
I'd like to submit that a frostbitten tongue is entirely secondary to boiling blood bursting out of every vein in your body.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

I'd like to submit that a frostbitten tongue is entirely secondary to boiling blood bursting out of every vein in your body.
That wouldn't happen. As it turns out, your blood vessels are mostly capable of holding your blood inside if your body is exposed to vacuum (though you will get some swelling).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:05 am »

That wouldn't happen. As it turns out, your blood vessels are mostly capable of holding your blood inside if your body is exposed to vacuum (though you will get some swelling).
Yup, some blood vessels in the eyes and such might burst, but it wouldn't be very problematic. (Except for the fact that your eyes would freeze over, but anyway)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 09:03:16 am »

Sorry, you're telling me that nitrogen bubbles forming in your blood vessels isn't a big deal? It should be no different from decompression sickness, but more severe. Decompression sickness can be lethal if a bubble blocks blood to the brain or bursts an important vessel and causes internal bleeding. At the very least your mucus membranes would rupture and start gushing blood.

I mean some people get a severe nosebleed from a change of a few hundred feet in altitude...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 09:22:31 am »

Sorry, you're telling me that nitrogen bubbles forming in your blood vessels isn't a big deal? It should be no different from decompression sickness, but more severe. Decompression sickness can be lethal if a bubble blocks blood to the brain or bursts an important vessel and causes internal bleeding. At the very least your mucus membranes would rupture and start gushing blood.

I mean some people get a severe nosebleed from a change of a few hundred feet in altitude...
We all know about decormpression sickness here (See previous page). However, your previous statement is still wrong on several accounts

I'd like to submit that a frostbitten tongue is entirely secondary to boiling* blood bursting** out of every vein in your body.

* Boiling indicates that fluid would have a phase transition. What happens is the forming of Nitrogen bubbels in the veins, not the boiling of the blood itself
** Except for weaker veins, for example in the nose, none of the veins will burst. Blocked bloodflow is a more severe problem. Besides, even if they did, they still would have to go through your hide.

Really, the way you formulated you statement and the post you reacted too indicated that you were reffering to the common misconception that due the near nonexistent pressure in space, your blood would litterally boil, as opposed to the decompression mechanic, as described in the post above and on the previous page.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 09:23:08 am »

My apologies for being imprecise.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »

Can you add jumping and/or looking straight up/down?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 02:08:40 pm »

You may want to add the website to the OP.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Will we be able to have spinning 2001 style space stations?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 05:31:55 pm »

Hrm, i'll have to look more into how pressure affects the body it seems - oh well.

Can you add jumping and/or looking straight up/down?
Sure. It'll be in the next build then.

You may want to add the website to the OP.
Done!

Will we be able to have spinning 2001 style space stations?
Well, no. I'd have to make radical changes for that to work.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »

This is FUCKING AWESOME

Posting to follow.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »

PTW

Is gas pressure going to be affected by gravity, so that leaking gas would cling to the side of your station?
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 09:01:19 am »

PTW

Is gas pressure going to be affected by gravity, so that leaking gas would cling to the side of your station?
The gravitationall field of your station would be pretty neglible, so it won't have much effect. Maybe some nice visuals, but I doubt anything else would apply.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »

PTW

Will there Newtonian physics, asteroid fields, complicated orbital maneuvers and such?
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10