Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490978 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2055 on: November 17, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

This is better:

http://www.gizmag.com/avegant-glyph/30233/

Basically why paint in the air or have little screens when you can paint colors directly onto the subject's retina? The retina is the ultimate screen, pixel resolution doesn't get any better than that.

To avoid nausea though you need to ensure the depth information etc is perfectly aligned with both eyes of the user (something the "3D in the air" thing compensates for, but can only ever do 1 color unless they mix gasses and can get different laser frequency to light up each gas). If the information from each eye is sufficiently correlated, there should be no nausea - it's just normal light going onto the retina and your eyes shouldn't tell the difference if it's aligned properly. This would entail scanning the eye, measuring the lens focus points of each eye and adjusting the retina display to match. Current VR systems don't attempt to do that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:53:30 pm by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:26 pm »

Impractical for groups - you'd need a separate device for everyone. This makes it impossible to use in public spaces or in cinemas, but home usage would be hampered too.

Edit: Just saw that it's a headset - why's that so awesome? Little screens work as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 17, 2014, 07:13:47 pm »

It still seems like a neat milestone to me, if not necessarily a huge one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 17, 2014, 07:23:17 pm »

Basically why paint in the air or have little screens when you can paint colors directly onto the subject's retina? The retina is the ultimate screen, pixel resolution doesn't get any better than that.
N...nooo, I think we can actually get better resolution than that. Eyeball is machine, we can (conceptually, if not currently) make something more fine.

It's just. It wouldn't do us much good, personally. Which I guess if you mean better by that metric sure but.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »

I still hope for Matrix-style implants by the time I'm old and wrinkly.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:10 pm »

My issue is, can my Computer eyeball work solo, or do I need the whole other apparatus to plug my eye into? I guess I wouldn't mind streaming my desktop to my eyeball[s?] if it worked seamlessly and didn't kill me. Seems like a pain to install, I'll stick with my surgically implanted color differentiators. Or color to sound converter.. uh whatever that is. Eye technology is weird.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 17, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »

I was going to make a remark about how Tony Hawk hasn't been relevant since the Dreamcast was a viable console....

But, Hoverboards are too awesome.  Truly, Back to the Future was completely right in every way and form. :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 17, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSheVhmcYLA&feature=youtu.be

Hoverboard. Science is real. Fiction exists. Tony Hawk enjoys it.
I dunno. After that last hoverboard reveal video (which was fake, though some apparently thought it was real), I'm suspicious of this one. It does seem to be more realistic though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 17, 2014, 11:31:52 pm »

Maglev trains work using a couple of different systems,” Greg explained. “In China, for instance, they use something called electrodynamic suspension (EDS). And EDS is very expensive, inherently unstable, and it can’t hover. There’s no way to move in all directions—it can only go on a track, and it needs to be tightly measured through electromagnets and sensor technologies. We have figured out a more efficient way of transmitting electromagnetic energy, and we’re able to do this without a track, or supercooling, or superconductors

And they're using it on hoverboards? Bullshit.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: November 17, 2014, 11:48:57 pm »

There was a throw-away line about "Using hoverboards to showcase the technology and what it can do" so maybe it's less "We have this super cool thing, let's build a hoverboard!" and more "We have this super-cool technology, let's build a hoverboard so people know it exists for other applications, since everyone wants a hoverboard."

If it's real, of course. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:19 am »

Yeah that kickstarter is real as hell. I'm looking forward to sheetmetal embedded in our roads for ultralight hovercars to zip around on. I wonder how efficient it actually is.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 18, 2014, 02:39:38 am »

Yeah that kickstarter is real as hell. I'm looking forward to sheetmetal embedded in our roads for ultralight hovercars to zip around on. I wonder how efficient it actually is.
At the current level of technology, my guess is "not even remotely".

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: November 18, 2014, 04:59:36 am »

Personally, I'm turned off by the complete lack of control you have. Watch the guys in the hoverboard in their vid... they have absolutely zero control unless they're touching the ground with their hands. Likewise if you were in a car, you'd be sliding all over the place.

This is old tech repurposed for a gimmick. There are applications for it for moving cargo/buildings like they suggest elsewhere, but it's pretty useless in any sort of vehicle that isn't on rails.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 18, 2014, 01:55:57 pm »

Maglev trains work using a couple of different systems,” Greg explained. “In China, for instance, they use something called electrodynamic suspension (EDS). And EDS is very expensive, inherently unstable, and it can’t hover. There’s no way to move in all directions—it can only go on a track, and it needs to be tightly measured through electromagnets and sensor technologies. We have figured out a more efficient way of transmitting electromagnetic energy, and we’re able to do this without a track, or supercooling, or superconductors

And they're using it on hoverboards? Bullshit.
They really should repurpose that tech for wireless electricity chargers.

That will either bring them millions, or cost them millions due to Apple suing them to hell.
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 18, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »

Screw humans, I'd imagine that computers specifically designed to work with a thing that controls such as they claim their thing to might be able to control them.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 339