Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490946 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4815 on: February 18, 2017, 07:01:15 am »

Crystalised life (give or take)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: February 18, 2017, 09:37:32 pm »

Technically it's entertainment, but it's educational and awesome, Planet Earth II just started up half an hour or so ago. Had baby marine iguanas running from fucking snakes everywhere which was awesome and dramatic and it's like FUCK, IT'S JUST FUCKING LIZARDS AND SNAKES BRO!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: February 19, 2017, 04:24:45 am »

But have they found any naked magic women inside the crystal that send the scientists on a mission to save the world from evil?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 20, 2017, 03:46:49 am »

But have they found any naked magic women inside the crystal that send the scientists on a mission to save the world from evil?

They found hot, naked creatures, who were not male:

Scientists have extracted long-dormant microbes from inside the famous giant crystals ... The environment is hot (40-60C), humid and acidic. With no light at depth, any lifeform must chemosynthesise to survive.

Which the scientists reanimated in an secret ritual:

they were able also to re-animate these organisms in the lab. ... the Nasa director said that the necessary protocols were followed.

And it's sent them on a cosmic journey:

"The astrobiological link is obvious in that any extremophile system that we're studying allows us to push the envelope of life further on Earth, and we add it to this atlas of possibilities that we can apply to different planetary settings."

Which the bards have started recording in the holy verse:

"It is tear inducingly beautiful down there. I wrote several poems about it actually."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:20:27 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 20, 2017, 04:06:44 pm »

A research team from Stanford University, Groningen University and others have devised an 'artificial synaps', which more closely mimics the human synapses than current computer chips, being able to both store and process information simultaneously, and appears to be more energy efficient than it's biological counterpart.
The breakthrough is expected to make neural networks more effective, and energy efficient.

Neural networks are an essential part of artificial intelligence, and are used for pattern recognition, for example in assessing traffic situation by autonomous cars, and speech recognition.

The problem is, neural networks rely on current computer technology. Even though modern computers excel in processing numbers, they are not as good at pattern recognition, which is where the human brain is still superior.
The best pattern recognition currrently is achieved simulating neural networks with powerful graphical processors. Even though those are getting pretty good at approaching human-like levels of achievement, it comes at a huge energy cost for storing, and processing data.
For this reason, computer scientist have been working on computer chips that are more similar to the human brain.

The design created by the combined research team, which they published yesterday in Nature Materials, is derived from an organic battery.
Their artificial synaps consists of two thin, flexible layers of polymere, with an electrolyte with 3 contact points in between.
By slightly loading, or unloading the electrolyte, the resistance in the lower polymere layer rises or falls.
When the process of loading / unloading is stopped, the layer retains it's resistance, creating a solid memory state.

"The difference with a regular transistor is that a memory value in this synaps isn't limited to one or zero, but can take any value", says lead researched Yoeri van de Burght, who has lead the research in Stanford, and is now teaching at the University of Eindhoven.

With the protoype synaps, the researchers ran a simulation in a virtual neural network. They conclude that what they observed has to be reproducable in practice.
In a follow up research, van den Burght wants to link several dozens of their synaps, to form a small neural network that is capable of simple pattern recognition.

Professor in nano-technology at Twente University, Wilfred van der Wiel, says "it is fascinating, especially since the researchers claim that their system is more energy efficient than it's biological counterpart".
He does add that he thinks it would have been even more convincing if the researchers had waited with publishing until they had tested a neural net in pratice, instead of only a simulation. "But I understand that if they were under pressure (competition) to publish results fast, they chose to do so now"

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/computer-die-functioneert-als-menselijk-brein-mogelijk-stapje-dichterbij~a4464938/

http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmat4870.html?WT.feed_name=subjects_physics
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:09:24 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 20, 2017, 05:23:57 pm »

That's basically the first step in what I want to do with my life. So. Uh. ...

better get workin' here ;-;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 20, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

Look at it this way: by the time you reach an actual research setting, some of the groundwork will be laid out for you! You'll have that much bigger of a giant to stand on!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 21, 2017, 02:14:24 am »

I thought you wanted to make weird stuff in biological setting, not create bio-ispired computers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 21, 2017, 05:00:32 am »

D.A.R.Y.L.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:58 am »

I thought you wanted to make weird stuff in biological setting, not create bio-ispired computers.

I do think he's planning on taking this sort of thing and integrating it into the human body a la transhumanism.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: February 21, 2017, 01:23:48 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the rise of humans who get extra ram and synapses implanted at birth within a few decades. We just need to find the spots in the brain where linking them up integrates them into the brain's neural network most efficiently. Looking at how for example blind people's brains adapt to use their visual cortex for hearing, sensory information or other tasks, I'm sure our brain would work out how to use the extra capacity on it's own, especially when added at an early stage of development.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 21, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »

....Yay?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4827 on: February 21, 2017, 01:52:11 pm »

Mm, I suppose I'll be reviled as a Luddite if I say that that prospect terrifies me. The world is stratified enough as it is without opening up allowing some people to become objectively superior, to say nothing of the possible unexpected consequences.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 21, 2017, 01:56:34 pm »

Dont worry Arx. I'll buy you and assign you non-strenous work. I am a benevolent master.

I'll probably smack you with a stick in the head from time to time though. It's a quirk of mine.

Also, you're ok with mining uranium by hand right?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 21, 2017, 01:57:12 pm »

@Arx:...You have a point.  Though would additional neurons actually help?

@ChairmanPoo:Try color=transparent next time.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 339