demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 68307 times)

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

274. Undead Orca, Whales, and Sharks are very, very, very deadly. Like stupidly deadly. More deadly than any undead Mule, Donkey, or Muskox. Undead Orcas are more than a match for iron clad dwarves. My military ended up like a battered can of tomato sauce--dented with red goo oozing out.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »

Orcas are NOT pleasant animals to be around IRL. They're called "killer whales" for a damn reason. Biggest predator in their branch of the tree of life, and nobody fucks with them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »

Ya. At first I was excited. My military had been killing off smaller fish that were crawling up on land and I was getting huge returns on butchering. Oh wow! An orca! I bet I could get enough meat for an entire year!

There were no survivors.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 11, 2012, 02:34:39 pm »

Don't put the damn tombs on the same floor as your bedrooms, dining rooms, statue rooms, pastures, and offices.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:44 pm »

276.  Poorly placed dragon pillboxes bring a whole new meaning to the term "friendly fire"

277.  Legendary Dodger is a liability when fighting on an elevated platform.  Plan accordingly.
277a.  This can be used to hold seasonal Master Goblin base-jumping competitions. 

278. For protecting against theft, Brinks Home Security has nothing on a pack of Giant War Lions pastured at your stockpile entrance. 

279.  Necromancers can be very Fun, but a constantly-reanimating piece of Cat Skin is an excellent marksdwarf training tool.
279a.  If you build this, make sure it's isolated from your fort, nowhere near a refuse pile, and equipped with a magma-dumping panic button.

280.  If you try to irrigate an underground area with water from a lake or river, use a bridge instead of floodgates to control flow.  Otherwise a carp WILL jam it open.  No exceptions. 

281.  Eating a lavish dish of yak tripe with a side of whip wine in a legendary dining room, then going to sleep on a masterwork bed in a legendary barracks may be enough to make Urist McLegenddwarf forget all about bashing his undead wife's rotting head in with a hammer after she came to life and killed his pet kitten, but Armok help you if he then gets caught in the rain when he wakes up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:13:04 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

282. Don't try and use various drawbridges to "atom smash" the goblins that your elite military dwarves are engaged in melee combat with.  The timing doesn't work so well.

283. Include in fortress design some way to kill merchants that leave after refusing to trade.

284. Don't try to use drawbridges to catapult merchants who refused to trade, it can be tough to time that too.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:25 pm »

282. Don't try and use various drawbridges to "atom smash" the goblins that your elite military dwarves are engaged in melee combat with.  The timing doesn't work so well.

283. Include in fortress design some way to kill merchants that leave after refusing to trade.

284. Don't try to use drawbridges to catapult merchants who refused to trade, it can be tough to time that too.

283a: Drowning chambers work great. But do not leave any holes at the top. They will escape out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:52 pm »

285.  A Dwarven Atom Smasher used for garbage disposal can turn into a massive projectile weapon if used (im)properly.  Plan accordingly. 

286.  Dwarven Railguns, F.R.O.G.G.E.R. defenses and Auto Shotguns are one jammed cart away from becoming Dwarven Supercolliders. 
286a.  Always remember to have a backup plan in place for stopping these weapons in case said accidental experiments into dwarven physics jam a door/hatch open. 

287.  Dwarven Orbital Defenses are powerful systems that should be treated with respect.  And well-labelled. 
287a.  If using a V.A.M.P.I.R.E. self-contained control system, make sure the operator is happy at all times.  Remember: Complete Armageddon is only a tantrum away. 
287b.  As with all artificial cave-in based defenses, ensure that there is a solid level between the surface and any of your underground facilities.  Blocks from Armok are bunker-busters. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2012, 07:07:07 am »

288. Sometimes the death of a fortress is a very, very good thing.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:51 am »

289 : A locked door will stop a goblin ambush squad, until a goblin master thief picks the lock and opens it.
289a : You won't be able to lock it again before the ambushers are in the middle of your undefended fortress.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »

290. If you try to mod the game, expect to not play the game for a very long time.
290a. Or never again, if you get bored midway.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

291: Human hunters are idiots who think ambushing an ambush predator (A GCS no less) is a good idea and only the virtue of being abnormally big for a human and their leather cap will save their sorry ass from being spider food.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »

292: If you see a hostile migrant appear in a wave of migrants, do not attack it. Loyalty cascades will ensue.

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 100 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »

Oh, I read that as, "You can dye adamantine cloth" and I got excited.
lol.. I wasn't clear enough. Yes, you can dye adamantine strands. The item description will tell you that it has been dyed. "This is a (sic) adamantine strand. It is emerald green with emerald dye." And you can still use it to make adamantine wafers. The bit where I say "wasted unit of dye" was because I was making adamantine wafers, not cloth, so naturally the unit of dye used to dye the adamantine strand was wasted.

I just found this post while trying to figure out why my dwarves refuse to make me more wafers.  I noticed that I'd been accidentally dying my adamantine strands and now I have 12 bundles of adamantine strands 2 tiles away from my magma smelter and yet adamantine wafers is still greyed out as an option.

Any ideas?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:09 pm »

Weave the strands into cloth, then (m)elt them, and recycle the cloth into wafers that way?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25