Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 687139 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5760 on: April 22, 2020, 07:31:57 am »

They’re also a bit dictatorial.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: April 22, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »

Communists tried to destroy my country's culture though. I don't want that to happen again. :/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1238218176086900737

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:04 am »

Why did early (microcomputer) CPUs have very low TDPs/power dissipations? Like, the original 8088 had a TDP of just 2.5W[1], an AMD 286 running at 16 MHz did 3.15W[2], a 386DX running at 40 MHz ran at 3.03W[3]. And these were absolute maximum they could dissipate. These things ran so cool, that at least to my understanding, manufacturers never bothered with even a heatsink until the 486 era.

My question is, why didn't they just raise the clock speeds, then put a heatsink on top? After all, higher clock speeds meant higher performance, at least on paper. Or was it that the CPUs themselves couldn't run stably at those higher clock speeds anyway, so heat dissipation just wasn't the limiting factor at the time?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: April 24, 2020, 12:29:21 pm »

Why did early (microcomputer) CPUs have very low TDPs/power dissipations? Like, the original 8088 had a TDP of just 2.5W[1], an AMD 286 running at 16 MHz did 3.15W[2], a 386DX running at 40 MHz ran at 3.03W[3]. And these were absolute maximum they could dissipate. These things ran so cool, that at least to my understanding, manufacturers never bothered with even a heatsink until the 486 era.

My question is, why didn't they just raise the clock speeds, then put a heatsink on top? After all, higher clock speeds meant higher performance, at least on paper. Or was it that the CPUs themselves couldn't run stably at those higher clock speeds anyway, so heat dissipation just wasn't the limiting factor at the time?

I think they were running as fast as they could without running into issues. Things are heating up now because the same-sized CPU has a lot more parts with the same surface area to dissipate heat.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: April 24, 2020, 01:46:12 pm »

The other components on the boards back then weren't capable of running any faster. Memory chips back in the early 1980s were very slow.

There's some interesting stuff here, worth watching if you're interested in retro computer hardware, the stuff about clock timing is about 6 minutes in, though the whole video is definitely worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-6Cjzzg8s

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: April 24, 2020, 02:45:54 pm »

The other components on the boards back then weren't capable of running any faster. Memory chips back in the early 1980s were very slow.

Because I was morbidly curious, I just had to look it up. The IBM PC 5150, released in 1981, used 200ns RAM[1], which translates in modern terms (with the caveat that these are single data rate) to 5 MHz. I don't care about the throughput at that point, it's going to be terrible. This improved to 150ns (6.667 MHz) for the IBM PC AT (1984), but your point stands. You weren't kidding when you said RAM was slow.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: April 25, 2020, 04:09:46 pm »

I'm suddenly curious as to what Germans get taught in primary school about WWII.

I mean, it's easy to make the Nazis the bad guys if the Nazis were over there, but...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: April 25, 2020, 05:14:17 pm »

Still bad guys, from what I can recall, though it's been a while since I've seen a german say anything on the subject. Unless I'm forgetting something it's still, like, illegal to publicly display a swastika in germany. There's not exactly a huge amount of sympathy of the regime that got millions killed and got their own country's teeth kicked in in the process.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: April 27, 2020, 05:29:36 am »

Still bad guys, from what I can recall, though it's been a while since I've seen a german say anything on the subject. Unless I'm forgetting something it's still, like, illegal to publicly display a swastika in germany. There's not exactly a huge amount of sympathy of the regime that got millions killed and got their own country's teeth kicked in in the process.
A few years ago, an amusement park ride that looked like a swastika once it was in the air was taken down and rebuilt. It’s still illegal.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: April 27, 2020, 06:14:22 am »

Germany: *bans the sun*
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: April 27, 2020, 06:48:32 am »

swastika=/=sun

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: April 27, 2020, 07:16:32 am »

The swastika is sometimes also called the sun cross -- it depicts a stylised sun.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: April 27, 2020, 07:40:29 am »

Germany: *eyes windmills suspiciously*

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: April 27, 2020, 12:26:10 pm »

Everyone knows that the Sun is actually a hologram by GRU, and that the windmills spread COVID-19, which in turn is emitted from the 5G antennas around.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: April 28, 2020, 02:01:01 am »

Germany: *eyes windmills suspiciously*
This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word "windmill".   
^ I was a "Community" quote virgin before this comment!    
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 637