Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686967 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2310 on: April 21, 2016, 08:19:32 am »

Remember that you also probably have to build your huge laser on the Moon, because on Earth the atmospheric diffraction would be too much, and in orbit it would keep deorbiting itself because it actually generates thrust, and you would have to provide it with engines to compensate.

Wouldn't the thrust be minute? The reason those tiny craft accelerate so much is that their weigh would be on the order of a gram. A huge-ass laser wouldn't bulge much from the same energy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:18 am »

So how do you prevent such a craft from overheating? Wouldn't the vast majority of energy be converted into heat, even with reflective surfaces?

I mean, there is a reason they use lasers to shoot down shit out of the air now.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:26 am »

Well, presumably you're aiming at the sail, not the craft. Not sure past that however.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:11 am »

So how do you prevent such a craft from overheating? Wouldn't the vast majority of energy be converted into heat, even with reflective surfaces?

I mean, there is a reason they use lasers to shoot down shit out of the air now.

AFAIK, just by using special sci-fi hyperreflective surfaces.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:52 am »

Can they use the same stuff to prevent missiles from being shot down?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 21, 2016, 08:32:54 am »

Remember that you also probably have to build your huge laser on the Moon, because on Earth the atmospheric diffraction would be too much, and in orbit it would keep deorbiting itself because it actually generates thrust, and you would have to provide it with engines to compensate.

Wouldn't the thrust be minute? The reason those tiny craft accelerate so much is that their weigh would be on the order of a gram. A huge-ass laser wouldn't bulge much from the same energy.
True, I guess. It would still have to have engines to correct itself every once in a while.

Can they use the same stuff to prevent missiles from being shot down?
With lasers, sure.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:20 am »

Wouldn't it also become more difficult to keep the beam from umm I don't know the proper word, spreading as the sails get farther away? Because don't lasers umm expand over a distance? Or is that just for weak ones like what you can buy at grocery stores (laser pointers)?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 21, 2016, 08:45:23 am »

Attenuation/attenuate.

No, that requires an atmosphere.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:06 am »

Plus, so long as you give it enough initial momentum, you don't need a continuous beam.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:56 am »

Yeah, I think the plan is to accelerate them to 0.2c over a few minutes between here and Mars, and then let them coast to Alpha centauru

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:21 am »

Attenuation/attenuate.

No, that requires an atmosphere.

But don't you have to fire the lasers from a surface station/base? Or are they setting up a satelite/deep space rig to do that?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 21, 2016, 09:19:37 am »

The plan is to fire from earth, yes. So they're probably working on the attenuation problem at the same time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 21, 2016, 10:52:51 pm »

I would have know the answer to that question a year ago but I have forgotten

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:19 pm »

I don't know that it has a special name. I think you'd just call it the structural region or the regulatory region or whatever's applicable, or by the specific name of the region/subunit if it has one, but maybe someone else knows better.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 22, 2016, 01:24:04 am »

What's the name of the part of an enzyme that's NOT the active site?

The part that basically gives the enzyme structure?

Well, the active site can also give it structure. I don't think there is a specific name for "all the enzyme except that tiny part that does the reaction". Usually you're interested in referring to a smaller part.

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 637