Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686961 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4395 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:59 am »

No, they're technically amendments. Much like prohibition, they could be repealed legislatively. I'm wondering if the Bill of Rights has any special protection from normal repeal.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 11, 2018, 10:48:30 am »

No, they're technically amendments. Much like prohibition, they could be repealed legislatively. I'm wondering if the Bill of Rights has any special protection from normal repeal.

Prohibition was repealed by the 21st Amendment, though.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 11, 2018, 10:51:36 am »

Right, my bad. My civics is rusty. So, theoretically, we could pass amendments revoking the Bill of Rights amendments?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:14 am »

Right, my bad. My civics is rusty. So, theoretically, we could pass amendments revoking the Bill of Rights amendments?

Yes, theoretically we could.

As for question 2, per Texas v. White, states cannot legally secede from the Union.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4399 on: July 11, 2018, 10:58:37 am »

Are there accounts describing exactly what mistakes green soldiers make that get them killed? Any time period is fine.
Letting Drake lead them into combat?
Is that a Hammers Slammers reference or a hip hop reference

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:16 am »

Yes, theoretically we could.

As for question 2, per Texas v. White, states cannot legally secede from the Union.

Could a county, though?
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 11, 2018, 11:58:41 am »

I wanna say no. County gov't is subordinate to state gov't.
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: July 12, 2018, 06:08:32 am »

What if it declares itself independent from the state first, then the US? Watch out for those rogue counties I tell ya!
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: July 14, 2018, 03:10:52 pm »

So I've decided to name a pair of sibling kittens Bowl Cat and Holla' at ya' Cat. BC is easy, but I'm unsure whether to go with Yacat (yakkit) or Catya (catchya) with the other. Leaning towards catya, though, as it rolls off the tongue a bit easier. What do y'all think, of the two?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4404 on: July 14, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »

Yack It is way better

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4405 on: July 21, 2018, 06:24:32 pm »

Could mammals adapt to living within an environment with high atmospheric pressure and nitrogen composition? As far as I can tell mammals adapted to deep sea diving avoid nitrogen narcosis by shutting down gas exchange in their lungs and running on oxygen stores, but that's hardly a permanent solution if you intended to say chuck humans on an Earth-like planet with substantially higher atmospheric pressure.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: July 22, 2018, 01:20:39 pm »

Could mammals adapt to living within an environment with high atmospheric pressure and nitrogen composition?

You may find this paper helpful:
http://www.saimm.co.za/Journal/v105n06p387.pdf

I think oxygen toxicity would occur before nitrogen toxicity under very high pressure (like 5 or 6 atmospheres) when breathing normal air, so the higher nitrogen content may actually push the survivable range up.

It would already probably be extremely unpleasant to breath air that dense though, another limiting factor would be strength of the lungs and diaphragm.

Edit:
Well, it may be survivable, but of course everyone would be permanently drunk/high just from breathing, which may or may not be a good thing
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:51:48 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: July 22, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »

Mammals in general can adapt to a staggering array of environments, humans specifically have done a pretty good job just as a single species, such as adjusting to very high altitudes (and thus lower pressure/oxygen), living in zero gravity (albeit for comparatively short periods), and even happily living with roughly 80 times the healthy limit of background radiation.

So, really, I think the question is more "where is the line drawn between tolerable and intolerable environments". Like, mammals are already known to live in close to -50 degree Celsius environments, but I don't think it's fundamentally possible for anything that could be dubbed a "mammal" to live in -200 degrees.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: July 25, 2018, 08:34:34 pm »

Hypermammals!

Question. At what point would a living organism be considered dead if it possesses no CNS? Such as starfish. But without the weird decentralized CNS thing.
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: July 25, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »

The point where the cells stop doing cell things I guess
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 637