Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691535 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4425 on: July 28, 2018, 11:08:52 am »

Because they devour the still living, still feeling flesh of plants instead of dead meat?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: July 28, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »

Because they devour the still living, still feeling flesh of plants instead of dead meat?
Exactly!

Did you know plants scream in flavour?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: July 28, 2018, 02:01:50 pm »

No, because if you kill every part of a vegan except the arm, the rest of the vegan can still regrow from that arm, as Trekkin just explained.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: July 28, 2018, 05:00:42 pm »

It is only ethical to consume foods that are designed to be consumed. So, 100% fruit and milk diet.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: July 29, 2018, 04:34:45 am »

It is only ethical to consume foods that are designed to be consumed. So, 100% fruit and milk diet.

We're going to need better toilets.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: July 29, 2018, 07:46:44 pm »

Presumably blowing on a match works because there's enough CO2 / moisture in an exhalation to kill the fire, but if you spray a jet of pure O2 at a small fire such as a candle or match, will it put out the flame?

What if the gas were cooled beforehand?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4431 on: July 29, 2018, 09:23:16 pm »

Presumably blowing on a match works because there's enough CO2 / moisture in an exhalation to kill the fire, but if you spray a jet of pure O2 at a small fire such as a candle or match, will it put out the flame?
I would say no, unless the gust was strong enough to push the fuel and flame away from one another (in reality you'd throw burning fuel around which would probably land on more fuel and make the problem worse). Here's an interesting video related to the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkHB1hV7Hw

The part where they show a fire traveling down a tube against the flow of oxygen coming from it is informative I think.

Not very relevant but interesting, showing what happens when you introduce a source of ignition to different mixtures of fuel (propane) and oxygen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmX-TUQkx4

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: July 29, 2018, 09:40:55 pm »

BRB gengineering fleshtrees.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: July 29, 2018, 09:47:46 pm »

BRB gengineering fleshtrees.
I mean we *are* :P  And I'm super excited for it, mostly for the long-term implications.  I'd love to move past genetically-selected "livestock" into growing actually-efficient artificial meatstuff, minus all the waste AND suffering.
Modern farm animals are pretty abominable, if you think about it, we twisted them into that shape.  It is what it is, but there are theoretically much better options in the near future...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: July 30, 2018, 09:58:55 am »

Why is it a decent number of people (Americans especially, from experience) seem to have difficulty differentiating culture from ethnicity? I've seen so many people that seem to think that if someone was black and adopted as a newborn baby by a white American family, they'd have "black culture" or something.

I think it's a holdover from racist thinking. Not saying it's actually a racist thing people do, but it's a byproduct of the formerly 'normal' racist way of thinking. "They're black, they must be a thug, etc." As if that stuff was something ethnicity predisposed you to. People accidentally fall back into that trap and expect certain ethnicities to gravitate toward their culture, when that is very often not the case. My wife's BFF is a black girl, but she's 'Country' to a T. (Country as in Southern United States type person. Cowboy hats, boots, jeans, flannel shirts, country music, trucks, blah blah blah.)
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: July 30, 2018, 09:59:21 am »

Why is it a decent number of people (Americans especially, from experience) seem to have difficulty differentiating culture from ethnicity? I've seen so many people that seem to think that if someone was black and adopted as a newborn baby by a white American family, they'd have "black culture" or something.

Because of "heritage" pride and long-dormant horribly-mangled ideas about blood lineage.

Also probably because of a long and grand tradition of stereotyping in entertainment media, which involves pinning cultural traits to racial differences.

And because Americans are dumbasses.

Of course, that said, a few weeks ago I met a fellow who introduced himself as being "from Eritrea", and who then later expounded that he was born in Norway and grew up in England. So who the hell knows?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:26 am »

Yeah, ask any White American like me and they'll give you this fucking shite, "I'm 23% German and 17% English, 6% Hopi, 4% Seminole, 15% Dutch, 30% Italian, and 5% Grapefruit."

Like, no. You're a white guy who lives in America. You're American (Which is a self-centered thing to refer to oneself as when there's TWO Americas and like 90 fucking countries in them)
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:41 am »

Yeah, ask any White American like me and they'll give you this fucking shite, "I'm 23% German and 17% English, 6% Hopi, 4% Seminole, 15% Dutch, 30% Italian, and 5% Grapefruit."

Like, no. You're a white guy who lives in America. You're American (Which is a self-centered thing to refer to oneself as when there's TWO Americas and like 90 fucking countries in them)
I've got a shirt that says I'm three fifths Irish.

I like that shirt.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:19 am »

Because of "heritage" pride and long-dormant horribly-mangled ideas about blood lineage.
Yeah this, though cultural heritage is a valid thing even for ethnic neighborhoods.  The culture of New Orleans is unique and interesting.  Or Harlem.  Or even the neighborhood I live in now!  Blood lineage/skin color requirements are disgusting, though.  Anybody should be able to move into an American neighborhood if they're willing to participate in the culture - at least, that's my position.

Also probably because of a long and grand tradition of stereotyping in entertainment media, which involves pinning cultural traits to racial differences.

And because Americans are dumbasses.
My black friends in public middle school didn't like BET either, but apparently there's a market for it...
Maybe because we are, of course, dumbasses ::)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: July 30, 2018, 10:30:29 am »

American isn't a race, that's just a DNA test result that they take way too much out of, and what else should we refer to ourselves as, since we are the United States of America, and the continent also has a United Mexican States, so we can't use United Statesians
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 638