Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686947 times)

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5625 on: March 20, 2020, 07:51:15 am »

It's hard to define whether something can think or not, but... like, a cat or dog or human can (barring neurological affliction) usually think, while most insects can't. And about flies avoiding humans with flyswatters, that doesn't seem to work for me. If I wave it in front of it it goes away only to comeback very soon until I kill it. So I stopped bothering. They inevitably land on me or my food even if I collect the will to ignore the extremely annoying buzzing for whatever reason.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: March 20, 2020, 08:18:15 am »

How do you know insects don’t think?

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: March 20, 2020, 08:19:51 am »

How do you know insects don’t think?
I don't but most of them certainly don't act like they think much if at all. Ants? Maybe. Even then one ant is pretty dumb, they only show intelligence in groups.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:23 am »

Cells in multicellular orgsnisms don’t all do thinking, but when they are together there is emerging complexity. What does an animal have to do in order for you to consider it thinking?

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: March 20, 2020, 08:26:23 am »

Cells in multicellular orgsnisms don’t all do thinking, but when they are together there is emerging complexity. What does an animal have to do in order for you to consider it thinking?
Be able to provably learn and use its newfound knowledge; be able to either show emotion or interpret them, preferably both; have some degree of social organization.

The higher the degree of those traits, the higher an animal's moral weight is, roughly.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:48 am »

Eh, if wikipedia is accurate there's, like, actually a bunch of different aspects to depth perception, several of which don't actually require binocular vision. So you'd still have some sorts of depth perception with one working eye, just not the full suite, so to speak.

Also apparently biocular and binocular are different things, which I don't think I knew. Neat.
i meant to type binocular, I need to look at what I type before sending

I think they both work in this case?

And related to the current thread of conversation: I do remember what it was like to not be in pain constantly, and think I remember what not being mentally unstable was, although that one is less reliable for obvious reasons.

Edit: Why does this just sound like the chillest insult to me?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:59:45 am by Iduno »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: March 20, 2020, 10:23:01 am »

Yeah, my mom has two working eyes and absolutely awful depth perception, so it's more than just the number of the ballin'.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: March 20, 2020, 06:14:56 pm »

So not all people with a working pair of eyes have good depth perception? Huh. I didn't even realize that was a possibility.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: March 20, 2020, 07:27:31 pm »

Some people are just shallow I guess
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: March 20, 2020, 07:52:16 pm »

Be able to provably learn and use its newfound knowledge; be able to either show emotion or interpret them, preferably both; have some degree of social organization.

The higher the degree of those traits, the higher an animal's moral weight is, roughly.
There are solitary animals, di they not think? If I don’t have emotion for like, 3 days, do I not think?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:25 pm »

I believe there's a lot of evidence that learning is seperate from thought. Toss a coin from each hand to the other at the same time. Thinking about that action makes it harder to learn how to do it. Thoughts retroactively claim credit for learning, but in the moment, they have little to add to the process.

Nice.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: March 20, 2020, 09:12:23 pm »

I believe there's a lot of evidence that learning is seperate from thought. Toss a coin from each hand to the other at the same time. Thinking about that action makes it harder to learn how to do it. Thoughts retroactively claim credit for learning, but in the moment, they have little to add to the process.

Nice.
can you mention what you think a thought is? I think of the brain as a biological computer, stimuli being inputs, and thoughts as the outputs, actions being based on thought

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:20 pm »

Thought is cognition/consciousness to me. Typing is a non-thoight action, but coming up with the words is done in thought.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:08 pm »

Thought is cognition/consciousness to me. Typing is a non-thoight action, but coming up with the words is done in thought.
Is there a way one can determine if others think?
Why do some people think killing flies on sight is unethical? They can't really think, and they are intruding on my territory, and I don't want them to disturb me during gaming, coding, or meditation, whatever. So if I see one I grab the flyswatter.
How would TheSteppeWolf know whether flies can think or not? People don’t really have any way of determining whether other humans think, let alone other animals. We just assume other humans can think because the human doing the assuming has thoughts, so other humans must have thoughts too. Why doesn’t this extend to other animals? They exhibit behaviors too, which when humans do them they are considered thinking. I don’t understand how someone can know that insects don’t think

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:14 pm »

Nice.

I can't tell if sincere or sarcastic
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 637