Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686875 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5805 on: May 02, 2020, 12:52:36 pm »

Quite a few low power SBCs out there. RPi is pretty heavy these days.  Tinker is more for a small IOT device build.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: May 03, 2020, 03:57:29 pm »

Why is the Einstein Roulette subtopic in the RTD subtopic in the Forum Games topic showing white when the most recent post was in 2017?

Thread or thread response? There were a few responses recently in the ER novel thread.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: May 03, 2020, 05:17:05 pm »

Why is the Einstein Roulette subtopic in the RTD subtopic in the Forum Games topic showing white when the most recent post was in 2017?

Thread or thread response? There were a few responses recently in the ER novel thread.
the newest posts in all threads were no later than 2017, unless it doesn’t sort by newest posts

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: May 04, 2020, 12:54:12 am »

Is it racist that I feel a little bit kinda proud when I have one of those moments where one sees an actor of an ethnicity different to one's own and you go "oh hey that's so-and-so from that other live-action media" and then have a moment of fear at the thought of having mistaken them for another actor of similar appearance and, more importantly, ethnicity, but then you do the appropriate googling and discover that you were, in fact, right all along and therefore not racist?   

I fear that, perhaps, worrying so much - well, not much, but more than not at all - about such mistakes may be the actual racist thing. I just can't help but replay that one scene from Seinfeld (not to mention the probably countless other comedic films/shows that have made the same joke over the years, including the one I am currently watching) with the "I suppose we all look alike to you, right Costanza?" line in my head whenever such thoughts occur to me - especially if I'm watching whatever-it-is with someone else and voice my recognition aloud.   
Of course, I mistake actors of my own ethnicity/ethnicities all the time and feel dumb enough about that, but at least I don't have the added embarrassment of a Costanza moment thrown in.   

But yeah, as I said, it's kind of a thrill when I think (or say!) "Hey, that's Omar from The Wire!" or "Oooh, it's Gus Fring from Breaking Bad!" or "...Huh, wait, isn't that Zaboo from that weird web series starring the goddess known to mortals as Felicia Day?" and then feel this icy stab of fear as it occurs to me that I may be mistaken and therefore racist, only for a quick check to prove me right! Absolutely right and correct! Ahaha, suck it, nerds! My facial recognition abilities are, while perhaps not perfect, at least extant!
I suppose it helps that at least one of the roles played by the actors aforementioned did, in fact, involve a direct reference to the thing they're more known for. That's gotta be like, the closest I've come to being directly targeted by "fan service".       
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: May 04, 2020, 12:58:22 am »

Yeah, I do the same thing. I like to think the sensitivity (the internal one and checking if you're being a racist) is a good thing, but I'm not sure. At least know you're not the only one who gets a mild panic after voicing recognition of an actor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: May 04, 2020, 02:40:25 am »

Michael Clarke Duncan had a running offer where he'd give $100 to anyone on the street who could correctly recite his full name. I thought that was pretty funny, so naturally I memorized his name for the sake of this poor fuck who kept getting called John Coffey.

Then he died.

Everyone looks alike, some just look more alike than others. And when we meet someone who looks less like us or the people we know, we get hung up on the general differences rather than the specific differences because he specifics result in too much information to process readily.

Once you get used to seeing people with those same general differences though, then you develop a clear enough mental image of those general differences that you can start comparing specific differences to that general image, and that's when you can tell Luke and Owen Wilson apart.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: May 04, 2020, 10:21:57 am »

Anyone got a soldering iron I can borrow?

Don't actually do that. It shouldn't need saying, but don't.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: May 04, 2020, 10:36:11 am »

The comments on that run an impressive gamut of ultracrepidarian snark.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: May 04, 2020, 03:08:46 pm »

The comments on that run an impressive gamut of ultracrepidarian snark.

I like "that's like the main way I figure out wtf my emotions are".

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: May 04, 2020, 07:04:13 pm »

Are soldering irons hot enough to cauterize? Asking for a, uh, friend.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: May 04, 2020, 09:05:16 pm »

Are soldering irons hot enough to cauterize? Asking for a, uh, friend.

You may need to do some splicing and jam some wires into a 210 outlet, but it should be fine.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: May 04, 2020, 09:31:48 pm »

Soldering irons solder, like, metal. Among other things. Yes, they'll cauterize flesh. You have to be pretty careful when using them or you can hurt yourself fairly badly.

You'd probably want something else if you were looking to burn shut a wound, though. Most soldering irons don't have much surface area on the heating element, so doing anything like that with one would be... inefficient.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Paramatter

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSITION:HERMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: May 05, 2020, 03:15:31 am »

Could anyone help me with the name of an old PC game that I remember reading about? I don't remember too much specific about the kind of game it was except there were some kind of management-esque elements to it and the setting involved living inside of a giant hollowed out skeleton and I'm pretty sure the article I read about it in specified it was inspired by Roger Dean's cover art for Relayer.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: May 05, 2020, 08:35:12 am »

Soldering irons solder, like, metal. Among other things. Yes, they'll cauterize flesh. You have to be pretty careful when using them or you can hurt yourself fairly badly.

We're joking about burning through a portion of our brains by jamming a soldering iron through the side. I'm not sure "be pretty careful", or even "be any amount careful at all", fits with that.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 637