Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686918 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9120 on: May 07, 2023, 08:03:23 am »

I think it’s generational: thirty-second videos, 130-character tweets, etc. have trained young minds in short quips, not more drawn-out conversation involving any kind of commitment.

It also seems that traffic in General is way down lately; some days see like only the top 5 threads updated, where we used to have activity on the whole first page.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: May 07, 2023, 04:19:46 pm »

I assume future growth in the dwarf fortress community is mainly going to be concentrated in the steam forums from now on. It's a shame honestly. That website isn't really suitable for peek community content like BoatMurdered, so I doubt people there will stick around for as long.

This is just another way in which the internet we grew up with is slowly dying.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: May 07, 2023, 05:04:24 pm »

Steam discussions is shite in general.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: May 07, 2023, 09:41:48 pm »

I'm going to disagree, most of his threads, pretty much all of them, are just random nonsense mush. They get like a few random replies then die, I don't see how that's interesting to be honest. Except maybe the first time you see one and try to engage only to find out that there's no point in doing so. But they are pretty much all the same after the first. And to me, they make bay12 harder to browse by pushing actually interesting threads down and harder to immediately notice and access. So, for me, his threads make bay12 less interesting, and whenever we're deep into a spam storm where like half the front page is his bullshit I pretty much stop browsing general discussion for a bit until it blows over.

Pretty much the only thread of his with any actual content (not added by him of course, but other people) is the AI thread, which is still random nonsense mush, but at least hit at a time when interest in AI is at an upswing, and thus people stuck around, ignored what he said, and had an actual conversation. But, for the same reason that it survived, that interest in AI, I'd argue that if he didn't post it we'd probably still have a thread with discussion about AI ongoing in it. Might even be better with a more reasonable first post (although I'll admit I doubt that one matters much if at all :P)

Edit: Also this really doesn't matter, but I'm struggling to get over your use of the word "Sub" Jipehog. I guess it's technically an accurate thing to say, given that this is a "sub"forum. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone say it that way, and I think that most of the time when someone is talking about a "sub" in regards to social media they are talking about a subreddit. Noticeably, this is not me saying you should stop saying sub, I just find it very interesting that you do and it puzzles me a little bit.
Actually, one of my threads got repurposed/derailed into an AI thread.  And there are several AI threads by Scoopy, it's just one that people latched onto due to the desire for discussion more than anything else.

Steam discussions is shite in general.
^
This

I think most DF discussion is on reddit and discord.  There are only like three discords on DF...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: May 07, 2023, 10:36:49 pm »

How do you wipe your bum after pooping?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9125 on: May 07, 2023, 10:54:50 pm »

Lean to my left, right hand comes in with a piece of bog paper.

I never thought about it until now, but I always do it the same way.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: May 07, 2023, 11:15:25 pm »

Where did the "mouse in a maze" experiment originate? It's such a widely recognized symbol of an experiment, but what would it even be testing?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: May 07, 2023, 11:26:23 pm »

mice's ability to solve mazes, clearly!
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: May 07, 2023, 11:33:26 pm »

How much toilet paper do you use?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9129 on: May 08, 2023, 03:16:36 am »

I assume future growth in the dwarf fortress community is mainly going to be concentrated in the steam forums from now on. It's a shame honestly. That website isn't really suitable for peek community content like BoatMurdered, so I doubt people there will stick around for as long.
I had a bad feeling that is what was happening, I was hoping we'd at least see a few new people from that whole steam thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: May 08, 2023, 04:55:22 am »

I had a bad feeling that is what was happening, I was hoping we'd at least see a few new people from that whole steam thing.
Yeah, my old forum went through the exact same thing. Nope. We be dyin'.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: May 08, 2023, 05:24:07 am »

How do you wipe your bum after pooping?

I'm a paper folder, not paper buncher
Love, scriver~

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: May 08, 2023, 07:02:55 am »

Edit: Also this really doesn't matter, but I'm struggling to get over your use of the word "Sub" Jipehog. I guess it's technically an accurate thing to say, given that this is a "sub"forum. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone say it that way, and I think that most of the time when someone is talking about a "sub" in regards to social media they are talking about a subreddit.

I actually don't know what the correct technical name for the offtopic ('Finally...') subsection of the forum, but sub seem like a convenient shorthand for any hierarchy system (forums, message boards, folders, domains, etc), especially now days when new platforms often utilize mish mash of elements often under new names when was the last time you heard the term 'message board' in the mainstream..

I think it’s generational: thirty-second videos, 130-character tweets, etc. have trained young minds in short quips, not more drawn-out conversation involving any kind of commitment.

No need to go all freud. People here are for different reasons e.g. maybe they aren't seeking drawn-out conversation, preferring more light hearted improv and show their chops word play, and or preferring other forum/mediums for that purpose.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: May 08, 2023, 08:06:35 am »

How much toilet paper do you use?
How wet was the shit?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: May 08, 2023, 08:20:55 am »

I actually don't know what the correct technical name for the offtopic ('Finally...') subsection of the forum, but sub seem like a convenient shorthand for any hierarchy system (forums, message boards, folders, domains, etc), especially now days when new platforms often utilize mish mash of elements often under new names when was the last time you heard the term 'message board' in the mainstream..

Interesting, I had never considered the correct technical name for such places, I didn't even know if there was one for stuff on the level of "finally...". Now that you bring it up, I went and checked SMF's manual, it refers to sections on the level of "Finally..." as "Categories". And of course Boards for the level of "General Discussion" or "Creative Projects" or the like, and Child Boards for things like "Roll To Dodge"

I don't know if I've ever heard of people refer to them as categories, although perhaps that is because most people don't tend to talk about categories together anyway. I think most of the time when people talk about such things they say "Upper boards" to refer to the "Dwarf Fortress" category (And announcements) and "Lower boards" to refer to the Finally...+Other Games. Since there tends to be a bit of split in the community between these two sections (although plenty of people that use both of course, and plenty of people that don't use all the same lower boards)

Ultimately doesn't matter of course so long as we're mutually intelligible. :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:25:08 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 637