Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130331 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #270 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:41 am »

And pretty much nothing to see here, either unless you've changed your lower-forum background colour from the default. ;)

Darkling *is* the default, you philistine.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »

The titular simulation from The Matrix would have consumed far more power than the prisoners plugged into it could ever generate. and was unnecessary to begin with, its stated purpose being far more easily achieved with good old-fashioned chains and shackles.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2012, 12:46:06 pm »

The movie Plan 9 From Outer Space is noteworthy here because all the plotholes can actually come together to make a coherent whole.

Hear me out, I've seen this movie a few times because its part of my cycle of Sci-fi, horror, and monster movies that I watch each year around halloween, and this year it dawned on me:
The film makes absolutely perfect sense if you just assume that Eros (the space alien) is massively incompetent and possibly slightly insane. If you assume he's basically a 1950's version of Invader Zim the film makes perfect sense.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #273 on: November 12, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »

The titular simulation from The Matrix would have consumed far more power than the prisoners plugged into it could ever generate.
Unless it used their own brains to process it. Like an endless dream. 2spooky.

And was unnecessary to begin with, its stated purpose being far more easily achieved with good old-fashioned chains and shackles.
Or drugs. Lots of drugs work too. I guess the thing about that is it doesn't allow for hoomies to escape and restart the matrix. The architect was fond of the virtual world. Must be where he kept his stash.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:39 pm »

The titular simulation from The Matrix would have consumed far more power than the prisoners plugged into it could ever generate.
Still breaking the second law of thermodynamics. Humans need food if they want to survive (read, produce heat). At best this dream state thing would go on till eternity, but it can't support the robots without creating energy out of nowhere.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 12, 2012, 01:20:05 pm »

The machines had gone all post-singularity and worked out fusion power by the time they set up the Matrix, if I am recalling the expanded universe correctly.

Anyway, the humans were in the Matrix to protect them, not to use them for power. The machines either had a bad conception of what humans desired or just didn't care. The Architect suggests the former, as he was unable to make a stable Matrix even after multiple iterations.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #276 on: November 12, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »

Still breaking the second law of thermodynamics. Humans need food if they want to survive (read, produce heat). At best this dream state thing would go on till eternity, but it can't support the robots without creating energy out of nowhere.
Food: Soylent green
Energy: Mother nature is far more efficient than machine at releasing chemical potential energy. Keep a supply of peptides and you should have a massive battery of people fit for any dystopian murderbotlord.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »

Food: Soylent green
Energy: Mother nature is far more efficient than machine at releasing chemical potential energy. Keep a supply of peptides and you should have a massive battery of people fit for any dystopian murderbotlord.
I haven't seen any movies, but I do believe that the sun was blocked out, and that as such the whole thing will rapidly run out of energy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »

Yeah, there's little rationale for the whole "humans as batteries" thing. Which is why it wasn't originally in the script.

In Universe, the true explanation (in the expanded materials) is that the machines created the matrix in an attempt to be kind. The power source thing was just bullshit the humans would actually believe, instead of the kindness thing.

(although in the original script, they were using them for /processing/ power - basically as a cheap server farm for creative energies. For all their intelligence, the machines are quite dumb - this is they seem to rely on humans for upgrading the system and improving it when they access the source code)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:18:24 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2012, 03:04:34 pm »

GlyphGryph: Would you mind letting me know where you are getting all this from? Genuinely curious to read it for myself :).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2012, 03:08:06 pm »

The animatrix, at least, hints at quite a bit of it. And the bit about the "power" being the processing kind, not the energy kind, is direct from interviews with the script-writers, if I remember correctly.

But it's pretty obvious if you watch the movies that the machines certainly don't hate the humans, certainly don't want to destroy them, many of them even likely humanity, and they obviously have certain... intellectual gaps that the humans can fill (although machines such the oracle seem to be better at it than most, even her abilities are limited).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2012, 03:08:47 pm »

GlyphGryph: Would you mind letting me know where you are getting all this from? Genuinely curious to read it for myself :).
The same here, I'd like to read this as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »

He took the red pill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2012, 03:13:58 pm »

The "Human beings as batteries" instead of "Human beings as processing units" came about because the creators thought it would go over our heads.

Which given that many people complain that the Archetect was "Too complex" I am halfway there to agreeing.

IT SPOKE PLAIN ENGLISH PEOPLE!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2012, 03:15:08 pm »

If people are too stupid to understand both the original explanation and the simplified version, why bother changing it?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 88