Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452837 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2940 on: May 03, 2017, 02:28:29 pm »

Just wondering if there's any mods out there that don't drastically change game mechanics, but make snowballing more difficult?

As it stands in vanilla, once you get going that's it, you're set because you can just keep consuming your neighbours, and unless you wind up facing a giant coalition there's no risk of your nation falling apart, or facing major revolts or anything.
well if you are willing to take changed mechanics try meiou 2.0 when it comes out in a few weeks. Theirs some streams out from arumba if you want to look at it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: May 03, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »

Just wondering if there's any mods out there that don't drastically change game mechanics, but make snowballing more difficult?

As it stands in vanilla, once you get going that's it, you're set because you can just keep consuming your neighbours, and unless you wind up facing a giant coalition there's no risk of your nation falling apart, or facing major revolts or anything.
well if you are willing to take changed mechanics try meiou 2.0 when it comes out in a few weeks. Theirs some streams out from arumba if you want to look at it.

Common Universalis does this too, through their state administrative capacity system. It makes larger states a more unwieldy, and gives some bonuses to smaller states. It also changes the province map around, and introduces a few other mechanical (mostly economy and colonization-related) changes.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: May 04, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »

Yep, we release right around ParadoxCon.
Your a team member? Hi I'm the flag guy. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2943 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:07 am »

MEIOU Italian city states is filthy good. Taking the Papacy from Avignon to Rome, crushing the Avignon Antipope, annexing the Roman territories, quelling the rebellious Urbinan nobles, advancing up Sienna and then waging war against Naples, Milan, Venice and Genoa all the while trying to stop France from crossing the Alps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2944 on: May 11, 2017, 07:02:03 am »

AI is haxor

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: May 11, 2017, 07:33:49 am »

Is it just me, or is the AI a lot more retarded as of late? Most of my games end up with me imposssibly powerful because the AI doesn't know how to bounce back from a good, hard beating that makes them lose more than a tenth of their provinces.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: May 20, 2017, 07:57:09 pm »

Playing Great Britain. I just conquered Norway and should have Denmark in my hands after the next war with them.

I'm still Catholic, but Norway is still Protestant, and I'm either looking at a slow conversion of Norway to Catholic, peppered with rebels and unrest, or passing the Declaration of Indulgence. Which would you guys recommend?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2947 on: May 21, 2017, 05:16:15 am »

Converting to protestant, but humanistic indulgence Britain also works, and you could also just slowly convert Norway with a military occupation. Conversion of Norway shouldn't be too bad since much of it is low-development anyways

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: May 21, 2017, 12:44:03 pm »

Yeah it turned out to be a non-issue within a few years. I've got okayish heretic tolerance, so once separatism died down revolts were a thing of the past.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2949 on: May 21, 2017, 03:47:33 pm »

In my experience only capitals, Germany and India require some intensive missionary efforts / humanism

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2950 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:23 am »

For the most part muslim provinces are all right, especially when in mountains/deserts that are hard to develop (obvious exception to the ME)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: May 29, 2017, 02:30:12 pm »

You should pick your initial rivals based entirely off of who you want to ally, either good defensive allies that dissuade getting DoW'd or countries that border a common rival and would easily join an offensive war against them. In fragile starts you'll always shoot yourself in the foot by rivaling someone superfluously that didn't aid an immediate diplomatic need (a trickle of power projection is not an immediate diplomatic need).

Things to look for when making allies are the dip rep adviser and everything else that gives dip rep, royal marriages (obviously), and building the army and navy up to or beyond forcelimit. Most difficult starts can also be easily cheesed just by building a merc army and no-CBing a neighbor before they get allies. You should also consider releasing a vassal and making them a march if you can, as the additional forcelimit and allied vassal troops will usually be far more useful than owning the provinces directly.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:35:31 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: May 29, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »

Urban Giraffe's point about rivals was that people are more likely to ally if you share rivals. So picking your rivals wisely helps you get good allies, which was part of your question.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:23 pm »

Yes, Its very fun.

My game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With only minor console shenanigans. way less then usual.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: June 04, 2017, 12:52:03 am »

Just finished my first full grand campaign! England, 1444 to 1821, no DLC. Would post screenshots, but they all screwed up badly for some reason :v

In short:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 216