Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449758 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #495 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:13 am »

I uninstalled EU IV and went back to EU III for now. Paradox games are like fine wines....they need to age a while before they're really good.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 19, 2013, 10:43:27 am »

I don't think I could go back to EU3. It just feels so clumsy :/

I have experienced any of the stuff other people talk about though. So that helps.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:40 am »

Does anyone know how I can use the papal controller powers?

I wanna do an Aztec crusade before the game ends.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 19, 2013, 11:20:36 am »

I believe the ability to call crusades end with the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648. That was the case in EU3 and while I haven't really paid attention to catholic politics in EU4 (because protestantism is overpowered) I believe it's the same case. It also appears that you no longer get a free CB against crusade targets like EU3, likely to give the north africans a (small) chance at survival.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:22:23 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:44 am »

My only issue so far is that asking a beaten superpower to release his already integrated vassals outside of the casus belli is way too easy. It allows you to win not only what you desire, but break down your enemy in small bite size countries that you can assimilate easily. They should really have a higher peace cost than what they are at currently.
Does anyone know how I can use the papal controller powers?

I wanna do an Aztec crusade before the game ends.

As far as I know you have to vote in enough Cardinals, but for some reason I get a pathetic number of vote as Wallachia even though I got a huge territory as a christian nation. Maybe it has to do with the smaller relative population density, but Poland get a lot of vote and they are not that big.

I imagine managing to do so as the Aztec would be bordering on the impossible.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2013, 11:26:58 am »

As far as I know you have to vote in enough Cardinals, but for some reason I get a pathetic number of vote as Wallachia even though I got a huge territory as a christian nation. Maybe it has to do with the smaller relative population density, but Poland get a lot of vote and they are not that big.

I imagine managing to do so as the Aztec would be bordering on the impossible.
Tell that to my array of Cathedrals giving me 100 papal influence every year.

I control every future cardinal except for one, which is contolled by France.

EDIT: Correction, 140 papal influence per year. 8 cathedrals just finished construction.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:26 am »

Couldn't you just add the missionary to your national traditions?

Adding a missionary to my starting idea crashes the game when I click on the Ideas panel. Anything else works fine and I can add them to other national ideas no problem. It was pretty weird.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

The thing I hate about coalitions is you can't vassalize. I wanna vass someone but the leader of the coalition is the one who it targets and they are always like 350% warscore. And unlike Vicky2 you can't even cheat with yesman and shit because its hardcoded that an individual action can't go over warscore even if I can load a group of actions to 100000000million with cheats a 101% vassalize won't work. Not that I want to vassalize the coalition leader anyways.

In any case I got bored of Ireland so I started a game with a heavily buffed custom Ceylon. First goal is to take over India. Basically a new tech group I added with some powerful custom national ideas and a powerful new religion and new culture. I would never play a powerful Euro nation, or even Ireland with these buffs but for Ceylon is reasonable considering my goals and its fun to make alt history changes. I actually have a lot of trouble even with buffs due to money issues and the fact that all of India is a web of alliances. Only the powerful explorers and conquistadors I added because Ceylon had no fucking vision and I needed a way to break terra incognita allowed me to even take an indian OPM due to them being allied with the most powerful southern indian nation. And none of the other choices are any better.
You can actually TAG XXX to change to them and accept any peace.

No, its not that they don't accept it. Yesman handles that. Its that the option is greyed out on anything over 100 warscore. You can't add it to the peace.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:43 am »

The thing I hate about coalitions is you can't vassalize. I wanna vass someone but the leader of the coalition is the one who it targets and they are always like 350% warscore. And unlike Vicky2 you can't even cheat with yesman and shit because its hardcoded that an individual action can't go over warscore even if I can load a group of actions to 100000000million with cheats a 101% vassalize won't work. Not that I want to vassalize the coalition leader anyways.

In any case I got bored of Ireland so I started a game with a heavily buffed custom Ceylon. First goal is to take over India. Basically a new tech group I added with some powerful custom national ideas and a powerful new religion and new culture. I would never play a powerful Euro nation, or even Ireland with these buffs but for Ceylon is reasonable considering my goals and its fun to make alt history changes. I actually have a lot of trouble even with buffs due to money issues and the fact that all of India is a web of alliances. Only the powerful explorers and conquistadors I added because Ceylon had no fucking vision and I needed a way to break terra incognita allowed me to even take an indian OPM due to them being allied with the most powerful southern indian nation. And none of the other choices are any better.
You can actually TAG XXX to change to them and accept any peace.

No, its not that they don't accept it. Yesman handles that. Its that the option is greyed out on anything over 100 warscore. You can't add it to the peace.
Ah, yeah, that's silly. I had a case where I crippled Russia in a war, and they had Kazan as their vassals. It cost more than 100 warscore to cancel the vassalage, even worse.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:07 am »

I believe the ability to call crusades end with the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648. That was the case in EU3 and while I haven't really paid attention to catholic politics in EU4 (because protestantism is overpowered) I believe it's the same case.
Dawwww.

I will just go sacrifice the Pope then. The cardinals shouldn't mind, considering that they are all loyal to me.

(The Aztecs keep "Religious Sacrifices")

EDIT: Da Pope is now an Aztec vassal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:58:40 am by cerapa »

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:53 pm »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you want more papal influence, send a diplomat to Rome at the start of the game. Their opinion of you matters. It seems like you really need to jump on the papal influence stuff early or you'll get left behind.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »

Here is the first hotfix to adress some of the most serious issues reported.

We have planned to push out a second hotfix, mostly with multiplayer focus, either later this week or very early next week depending on when we can test it enough to guarantee we nothing new is broken. Thanks for buying the game and thank your for your patience.

Also, this will not break your ironman saves.

Patch notes 1.1.1
------------------------
- Lots of localisation fixes (including the localised tutorials)
- Fixed some more broken localisations
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution (merged 8252)
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution
^ Aren't these the same thing?
- Peasants' War more likely to end the longer it has been going on
- Peasants' War will not happen again for at least 10 years
- Fixed issue with black areas on TI (bad/old graphics cards)
- Optimized mission and revolt risk alerts
- Religious rebels can no longer flip the Papacy's capital province
- Religious heathens breaking your country results in large prestige loss
- Religious rebels breaking the Papacy results in a stability loss
- Normal borderfriction now only applies if its the home territory bordering each other.

Let's see.. Looks like Paradox fixed one event chain and broken textures..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 19, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

I think the RNG hates me. I added some special conquistadors and explorers to my super ceylon cause it has no map vision and it killed them all off, 2 of each kind, in only 30 years.

And that really hurts because they had powerful sieging and combat skills that allowed Ceylon to take on Bahamanis with only a few territories and low manpower. And they stomped rebels. My naturally made generals are weirdly powerful but still not as good as the 2 conquistadors with all 7s. Plus I can't get conquistadors again until my next idea set so I can't expand my map knowledge.

Hopefully my empire doesn't fall apart now that rebels are more of a problem. And I was planning on warring Bengal after my current set of cores is done which I probably can't do now due to coalitions and now much less powerful military.

Ah well. I'll roleplay it as a sort of founding myth. And now my nation slowly falls down from its pinnacle to be only slightly superior to its neighbors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »

So, I tried modding the game.  I figured out how to make some new stuff, but after a while, I noticed that nothing I did actually effected what showed up in game.  I did a really easy, obvious change to test it (making western tech group have a huge penalty) and nothing happened.  As it turns out, the game knows my mod is there, but doesn't seem to actually run it.

Anyone know a basic guide to how to make a mod?  I tried downloading a mod and copying the format they used (with the .mod text file and such), but as I said before it didn't work, and Google is just turning up EU3 modding guides and EU4 previews.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »

I think the RNG hates me. I added some special conquistadors and explorers to my super ceylon cause it has no map vision and it killed them all off, 2 of each kind, in only 30 years.

And that really hurts because they had powerful sieging and combat skills that allowed Ceylon to take on Bahamanis with only a few territories and low manpower. And they stomped rebels. My naturally made generals are weirdly powerful but still not as good as the 2 conquistadors with all 7s. Plus I can't get conquistadors again until my next idea set so I can't expand my map knowledge.

Hopefully my empire doesn't fall apart now that rebels are more of a problem. And I was planning on warring Bengal after my current set of cores is done which I probably can't do now due to coalitions and now much less powerful military.

Ah well. I'll roleplay it as a sort of founding myth. And now my nation slowly falls down from its pinnacle to be only slightly superior to its neighbors.

I dunno, I think 30 years is a pretty good amount of time to get out of war leaders, I mean these guys are probably in their 30s at the earliest when you recruit them, and 60 is definatly at the age where they'd start dying, especially since just simply retiring isn't modeled at all, even though I can't imagine someone at the age of say, 60, still exploring the American Interior.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 216