Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451583 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #570 on: August 23, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does the performance/optimization compare to EU3? Things were a bit choppy on my crappy system... anyone try it on, say, a laptop? I could always wait for performance mods, just wondering if they went overboard on having DA BEST GRAFIX. A 2D strategic mode or the like would be perfect.
EU4 is faster than ck2, but obviously slower than eu3. I do not have the technobabble to say anything more useful than that :P

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 23, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

EU4 is faster than ck2
The opposite is definitely true for me.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

For me it seems to have about the same laginess as CK II (which can be significantly reduced by lowering the resolution).
As for actual running time (per day) it seems to run about as fast, with one exception: instead of calculating taxes (ect) yearly, it does it monthly. This means that there is a pretty significant delay on the first of every month (it lasts 4-5 seconds, but it doesn't give lag, just takes a super long time to process the day).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:47 pm »

Tried the demo (I should've checked for one before posting, derp), definitely waiting for a performance mod. Why they think 3D modeling is even remotely important for games like these is baffling. That said, my computer is pretty garbage, so most people probably don't have a problem with it. It's just that I feel the strategy genre should be one place to go that doesn't have high/barely any requirements, and a 2D mode would've been fantastic and I'd assume not very difficult to add.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 23, 2013, 05:45:14 pm »

Tried the demo (I should've checked for one before posting, derp), definitely waiting for a performance mod. Why they think 3D modeling is even remotely important for games like these is baffling. That said, my computer is pretty garbage, so most people probably don't have a problem with it. It's just that I feel the strategy genre should be one place to go that doesn't have high/barely any requirements, and a 2D mode would've been fantastic and I'd assume not very difficult to add.
I agree. It's partly why I don't play Civ V. Luckily, my laptop handles EUiv fairly well.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 23, 2013, 08:13:56 pm »

The weird thing is that Civ V actually did have a 2D mode (it's a toggle next the minimap, makes everything look more like a boardgame), which is something I didn't expect from firaxis. Then again, EU3 had very weak graphical options, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised that EU4 isn't playable on low end machines.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #576 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:18 pm »

... I could have sworn there was a "Disable 3D Textures" or whatever mode in the options for EUIV. It's probably just for the map and buildings, but that should certainly help.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 23, 2013, 11:41:07 pm »

Does anyone have an original tradenodes.txt? I think I fuxed mine. Game runs too slow due to the routes being overcomplicated. :[
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:57 pm »

Does anyone have an original tradenodes.txt? I think I fuxed mine. Game runs too slow due to the routes being overcomplicated. :[
Here

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 24, 2013, 12:09:30 am »

Here

+1 Internet Heart
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:09 am »

You know that you are never ever ever supposed to edit the base game datafiles right? You are supposed to add content using mods.

I mean, I edit them, but that's because I'm so off the chain and awesome. Regular people should stick to the intended content addition method of mods.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 24, 2013, 10:35:45 am »

I'll assume that's a joke. Being 'awesome' as you are, I figured you'd understand you have to combine mods and do patchwork to get varying types working at such an early juncture in the game's life.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:37:33 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:01 am »

It is howerver much easier to just change a few numbers than set up a mod for it. But yeah, doing it as a mod is safer.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:46 am »

Incidentally, it's because Paradox did very little optimization of their own trade sytem. Making it too complex slows the entire game.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 24, 2013, 12:26:43 pm »

Incidentally, it's because Paradox did very little optimization of their own trade sytem. Making it too complex slows the entire game.

Jeez, who would have thought that the travelling salesman problem would be hard?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 216