Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451652 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1215 on: May 30, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »

That, or it just doesn't take the size of your empire into account anymore, so world conquest is a thing again. You just have to deal with ethnic uprisings or find a way to placate your new subjects. Which seems legit to me.

Naw, it does. In the defines. I just change the number to '0' because its a stupid, stupid 'feature'.

How do you do this, I'm to scared to try after I broke AoD.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 30, 2014, 12:22:09 pm »

Well, looks like the patch either removed that "feature" or chanegd the formula then. Cause my massive Mongolian Empire is suddenly nomming up European provinces (even ones I didn't have a claim on) in under 2 years. Now, the kicker is that I can't change the culture anymore until nationalism expires (which is a lot longer than the old "core+religion+culture" wait time).

In essence, they've made it possible to go Napoleon on the world's ass without going into super overextension, but the tradeoff is that you have a far longer horizon of potential unrest. Again, seems legit to me.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »

Well, looks like the patch either removed that "feature" or chanegd the formula then. Cause my massive Mongolian Empire is suddenly nomming up European provinces (even ones I didn't have a claim on) in under 2 years. Now, the kicker is that I can't change the culture anymore until nationalism expires (which is a lot longer than the old "core+religion+culture" wait time).

Defines.lua in current version
CORE_TIME_SIZE_MODIFIER = 0.04,   -- % longer per province owned.
MONTHS_TO_CORE_MAXIMUM = 240,
MONTHS_TO_CORE = 36,   

Defines.lua in previous version
CORE_TIME_SIZE_MODIFIER = 0.04,   -- % longer per province owned.
MONTHS_TO_CORE_MAXIMUM = 240,
MONTHS_TO_CORE = 36,      

Seems to be the same, somehow, actually. I've noticed the time on useless provinces is lower, for what it's worth. And I wasn't aware there was a maximum time number.

@stabby, go to EU4folder->common->defines.lua and search for core_time and change the number to 0.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:31:28 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 30, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »

For those who dislike 1.6 for rebels and AE, a hotfix has recently been released that at least partially addresses those problems.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?778921-1.6.1-Hotfix-RELEASED-Feedback-here
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 31, 2014, 11:35:19 am »

Seems like the hotfix nerfed AE a little too much. Playing as Ragusa I've now united the Balkans, almost conquered all of Italy, almost all of the Tunisian trading node and have pushed through egypt into the west coast of Africa. Unfortunately eastern tech (god knows why Ragusa is eastern) can't build trade companies so I'm going to have to intentionally gimp myself for a couple decades. I don't particularly like this at all with France breathing down my neck (although I did manage to balkanise them a little).

I'm now wondering whether I should pick up exploration or expansion as my next idea. I would really like to colonise africa and some of the east indies before the other colonisers turn up but I would also love that CB on asians. I'm worried the slow spread of discoveries and only a single colonist won't be enough to carve out a big enough colonial empire before the real colonisers turn up. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:37:09 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:56 pm »

I'm now wondering whether I should pick up exploration or expansion as my next idea. I would really like to colonise africa and some of the east indies before the other colonisers turn up but I would also love that CB on asians. I'm worried the slow spread of discoveries and only a single colonist won't be enough to carve out a big enough colonial empire before the real colonisers turn up.

Expansion allows you to pick up a nice policy that give -15% coring cost (I forgot what the other required group is though).
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 31, 2014, 12:57:19 pm »

Expansion allows you to pick up a nice policy that give -15% coring cost (I forgot what the other required group is though).
Looked it up and apparently it's administration. Don't really have a good excuse not to go for expansion over exploration, I would rather have the coring cost than missing out some of the colonial race.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 31, 2014, 01:27:14 pm »

Because regardless of fictional fantasy novels, mercenary forces of any reasonable size were always integrated directly into the military forces of any realm. The military administration of that realm, including their supply lines, food, stationing areas/barracks and armourers were all used by historical mercenaries.

So yeah. Force limit.
What fantasy novels are you reading that feature mercenaries?  I've read quite a few and can't think of a single one where they had any notable relevance.  The best I got is a Fire Emblem game.  And a threat in a Discworld novel that was never realized.

The Videssos cycle is all about a mercenary company, and it goes into how they are supplied by the central government for the most part. They take care of their own weapons and armour, but the rest is the central government.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 31, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

Granada's rather mountainous isn't it? There's a lot more to combat than just having superior numbers, and bad terrain can negate a quantity advantage.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 31, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »

generals

tech differences (you start as lower tech than grenada)

rng being a fickle bitch

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 31, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »

25% defense advantage.
I don't know what this means.

Can't really vouch for the tutorials, but if you attack an army in the mountains, it won't really matter if you outnumber them because only a part of your army can attack at once.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 31, 2014, 03:02:31 pm »

did you have a fleet in the province your units were in

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:32 pm »

Only a certain amount of troops can attack ever, though with an army as small as 9 regiments it shouldn't have mattered much. What where generals like? who are you playing? did you have too much cavalry?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:16 pm »

did you have a fleet in the province your units were in
Yes. Doesn't allow you to embark otherwise. I had the fleet, and as soon as I moved it off with the embarked units, they disappeared.
Yeah, they're on the boats. Move the transports back into a port.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 31, 2014, 03:20:09 pm »

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Army#Composition

Good reads, the combat mechanics are actually pretty good.

Morale is essentially stamina, affecting how long a regiment will continue fighting before retreating. Discipline is a straight damage multiplier, combat ability is basically the same but with pips instead. Shock/fire pips interact directly with the die roll and leader bonuses to determine damage done/received in their respective phases. Bad terrain gives you a malus to that calculation in the same way as something like a leadership bonus, and you can see all the things affecting the die roll as well as the regiment positioning when viewing the fight.

The gist of army building is that you want most of your dudes to be infantry with high morale pips (if you're just starting, then latin medieval is better than halberd), with low morale cavalry with high shock pips (chevauchée). Regardless of army size, in my experience there's no real reason to have more or less than 4 cavalry regiments (for Europeans, other tech groups may use more or less cavalry). When you get cannons, they'll enhance your infantry's ability to stay alive and beat down the other guy's infantry hugely (but are expensive and slow, and very bad on the front line).
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 216