Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451511 times)

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1561 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:28 pm »

I wish they would introduce some, you know, actual internal management. Warfare isn't the part of the game that needs shoring up.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:11 pm »

The "announcement" is here at 23:30.

It's main focus is apparently going to be about the thirty year war and and the napoleonic era. You know that time period where 99% of games won't reach because the game gets ridiculously boring once you've managed to blob up.

It's apparently going to add more depth to combat and add "customisable armies", whatever that means. There is a strangely thick line in one of the screenshots that almost makes me think of fronts like HoI, doubt we'll see that though.

From the leaked screenshots there's also going to be improvements to Africa and likely the rest of the world as well such as increased tags and provinces. However it seems like that will just make more territory for Europeans to blob into.

Ultimately I'm really disappointed. It may be a bit early to judge and things might start looking up once the dev diaries start rolling in but it just seems like it's completely the wrong expansion we need right now. The game festers while having such a major focus on conquest but so many barriers put in place to do so. Barriers would be fine if there was some other mechanic to keep the game interesting while not at war but that aspect has been completely neglected.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:55 pm »

The "announcement" is here at 23:30.

It's main focus is apparently going to be about the thirty year war and and the napoleonic era. You know that time period where 99% of games won't reach because the game gets ridiculously boring once you've managed to blob up.

It's apparently going to add more depth to combat and add "customisable armies", whatever that means. There is a strangely thick line in one of the screenshots that almost makes me think of fronts like HoI, doubt we'll see that though.

From the leaked screenshots there's also going to be improvements to Africa and likely the rest of the world as well such as increased tags and provinces. However it seems like that will just make more territory for Europeans to blob into.

Ultimately I'm really disappointed. It may be a bit early to judge and things might start looking up once the dev diaries start rolling in but it just seems like it's completely the wrong expansion we need right now. The game festers while having such a major focus on conquest but so many barriers put in place to do so. Barriers would be fine if there was some other mechanic to keep the game interesting while not at war but that aspect has been completely neglected.

Perhaps an expansion based on warfare might add some things to spicen up the non-warfare aspects.

To be honest, EU4 I feel in some ways, is more friendly and inviting then EU3. But I do agree that during peace it does feel kind of... stale. All you really do is prep for the next war, but there's generally very little to do in that regard.

To compare two different, but vaguely similar, series I'd use Total War as an example. While it is doubtfully about conquest and expansion, you at least spend your downtime upgrading and researching towards better stuff. The issue I feel with EU4 is that research takes so much MP you just kinda end up doing it... eventually. And the costs of buildings means until you get fairly large - and even when you do - there isn't much reason to actually be building constantly.

It's a sharp contrast to TW where you should be pretty much building up your settlements every turn until they max out, and in later TWs, always be researching new technology. Admittedly, TW is pretty shallow for everything that isn't warfare though. I sometimes with EU would loosen up and give us more to do rather then wait all the time. The high cost of buildings, combined with generally low income for most small nations, makes me feel like I spend 80% of my time in EU4 just with the speed maxed out, waiting for ducats to amass, so I can click a button, and spend it all in a heartbeat.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:16 am »

Actual announcement thread with real information:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?795532-Eu4-Art-of-War-Announcement-Information&p=17882160#post17882160
Spoiler: for the lazy (click to show/hide)
I might have been a bit hasty with my doom and gloom. All of the new content is looking fantastic. The ability to upgrade ships alone is just great and I might actually have fun playing naval nations now (although a bit telling it's hidden behind a paywall). While I still would have prefered some peacetime mechanics, if they don't fuck up this DLC with ridiculously stupid mechanic changes to "balance multiplayer", then I'm willing to bet it will stand as the best yet.

Cautiously optimistic.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:32:24 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 16, 2014, 03:59:39 pm »

So here's my situation:

• I am Scandanavia
  • One province short of owning the entire Baltic. Russia owns the remainder.
  • Year is 1780 or so
  • I have 250K men or so. 360K manpower.
  • Russia has 230K men or so. 550K manpower.
  • I'm allied to France but they won't accept a call, as it will "destabillize" them
  • Russia is at war with Timurids, who have about 100K troops and manpower

I just need that one province for the achievement. Can this be done? How would I do it. Am at a bit of a loss. Military tech is the same, too.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 16, 2014, 04:40:37 pm »

So here's my situation:

• I am Scandanavia
  • One province short of owning the entire Baltic. Russia owns the remainder.
  • Year is 1780 or so
  • I have 250K men or so. 360K manpower.
  • Russia has 230K men or so. 550K manpower.
  • I'm allied to France but they won't accept a call, as it will "destabillize" them
  • Russia is at war with Timurids, who have about 100K troops and manpower

I just need that one province for the achievement. Can this be done? How would I do it. Am at a bit of a loss. Military tech is the same, too.

Support the largest rebel group, and just swarm.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 16, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »

I suggest watching DDRJake streams to see how real pros deal with large countries. His techniques are godly.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 17, 2014, 12:53:30 am »

I suggest watching DDRJake streams to see how real pros deal with large countries. His techniques are godly.

every single time ddr makes a stream, paradox patches the most offending bits

the religious unity stuff is patched already

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 17, 2014, 01:30:04 am »

There's always little tricks to pick up that can really make the difference. An example would be supporting rebels in vassal territory so they disappear. It's ridiculous how much of a better player I am just after watching a couple streams, even if most of the major exploits get patched quickly.

I only recently rekt'd my roommate as Albania while he was playing Castile and he used to be the one who smacked me around in EU3. At this rate EU4 is going to become barred from multiplayer just like AoE2 due to the skill gap. :(

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 20, 2014, 08:35:22 pm »

Ended up winning a short victorious war. They were distracted by Timurids and rebels, I sieged the target and capital and won a few decisive battles. Peaced out at 12% for a 2% war goal.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:09 pm »

The Art of War stuff looks nice, except for the part where you can abandon cores.  That doesn't make any sense to me, and seems like it would make cores even more weirdly malleable than they were before.

Also doesn't deal with my basic complaints about the game but w/e, little steps.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

I'm sure somebody will exploit the hell outta that core abandoning mechanic. Because there is pretty much no other way to realistically use it.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 216