Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449755 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2190 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28:40 pm »

I'd say the only time when increasing development is worthwhile is if you're capped on points and facing an ahead of time penalty on the relevant tech. Like culture conversion, it's otherwise a thing to do for funsies, if you want to make the province of Mzab a world metropolis or something.

Privateering allows you to sap the trade power of other nations by adding a cut of the power to a "pirate" nation (where it's basically wasted). I guess the idea is to disrupt someone's trade in a node where you can't otherwise spare a merchant to transfer away, or something. It's almost completely useless for its intended purpose (whatever that is), though it's worthwhile to have a single light ship privateering in a rival's node, since it gives 1 power projection (and a recurring event with an option for better relations over time, which is useful for faster AE reduction).

"Caravan power" is a passive modifier that's applied to inland nodes (nodes without coastal provinces) that basically amplifies the effect provincial trade power has on transferring trade into or out of inland nodes. I guess it's compensation for not being able to protect trade with light ships, though there isn't any player interaction with caravans or anything like that.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:40 pm »

I've got a personal interest in trying to raise one of the native American groups into an economic superpower, and found that the Monarch Points can definitely be used for establishing an economic base (considering all of the provinces, minus a few select ones here and there, are woefully underdeveloped) pre-Westernization. Especially considering your cap is just shy of 3.5k, you won't have much reason to want to use them (unless trying for certain national ideas) prior to reforming the government, which grants a ton of free tech on its own, and subsequent Westernization.

I haven't played much on the European nations, but I'm particularly fond of Castile (I think that stems from playing Europa in Warcraft 3 extensively), and I haven't found many instances where it was better to spend MP on making a single province better, as opposed to increasing technology overall.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 13, 2015, 10:48:10 pm »

It might make sense developing using excess military points as a Western nation but there's not much reason to do so otherwise.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: October 14, 2015, 11:07:45 am »

Privateering allows you to sap the trade power of other nations by adding a cut of the power to a "pirate" nation (where it's basically wasted). I guess the idea is to disrupt someone's trade in a node where you can't otherwise spare a merchant to transfer away, or something. It's almost completely useless for its intended purpose (whatever that is), though it's worthwhile to have a single light ship privateering in a rival's node, since it gives 1 power projection (and a recurring event with an option for better relations over time, which is useful for faster AE reduction).
Privateering also gives you income from the trade you take away (I think its listed as war spoils), but the main benefit is power projection and hurting the trade income of rival nations. I've used it rarely, the best case was as the Ottomans against Venice and I was pretty happy with the effects, since it was a way of getting back the trade Venice was transferring from Constantinople.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:57:03 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2195 on: October 15, 2015, 10:36:11 am »

I suddenly realized I want to play EUIV again. Commonwealth of Three Nations when?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: October 19, 2015, 03:46:24 pm »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: October 19, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »

Goofy exploit involving The Netherlands and Westphalia.
I saw that. Netherphalia is pretty amusing, especially since the AI can take over your country.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 19, 2015, 06:13:55 pm »

That's a very strange and hilarious bug. You used to be able to do infinite tag switching very easily, but they've tightened it up quite a bit. It looks like the decision for Westphalia is the only one that doesn't have tag, culture, or colonial requirements. You can still do some funny stuff like Mzab -> Tripoli -> Morocco -> Andalusia, but the infinite chains have mostly been patched out. I think the only other one left is Sokoto of all things, but that requires an event that only fires past 1770.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 20, 2015, 03:19:34 am »

I'm a little unreasonably excited for the new world changes coming with the Cossacks expansion. One of the neat things they showed off was the High American tech; instead of always getting the usual mostly-harmless natives, the new world can rarely spawn a high american empire, which are basically "badass natives". The one showed off was a continent-dominating nation called the Crimson Empire. Will be neat to see new world nations that could actually survive European colonization attempts. I could see a particularly powerful one kicking them out of the new world entirely!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 20, 2015, 07:19:38 am »

High American is already a tech though, at least in a slightly modded nation designer or converted game. Its th tech level they give the super-aztecs from Sunset Invasion if you bring over a save that used that from ckii, and basically a renamed western.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 20, 2015, 02:12:02 pm »

Shows how much I know! Never have imported a CKII save. Still, would love to see that be generated on its own :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 20, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »

Neither have I. I just like the modified nation designer that lets you pick all sorts of things, like stuff that comes from ckii converter. High American American-culture Norse-followers, for example.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 20, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

So I want to make a custom nation(s) but am running into a problem. I have limitless possibilities. The first nation I made I realized would be in a ridiculously advantageous position. I also realized that I could make a OPM with INSANE ideas to become unstoppable late-game.

So I need some suggestions in interesting ways to make custom nations.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 20, 2015, 07:08:03 pm »

Be zoroastrian.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 216