Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449731 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2850 on: November 22, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »

In general, doing anything while the game starts up causes it to crash for me.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 22, 2016, 01:56:10 pm »

Yeah, but sometimes that happens when I get a crash in the game. My bad, should have clarified a little more. At any rate EUIV is definitely not very stable when starting up.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 22, 2016, 03:08:37 pm »

France got beaten numerous times...

In my two latest EUIV games, France was severely beaten by neighbors. In my Protestant Milan -> Italy "speedrun", Burgundy got huge and eat a decent chunk of France (Burgundy is quite a beast if it's not beaten/inherited by the event, to be fair). In my Ottomans 1.19 beta test game, France failed to drive England back to their islands, and as a result, lose its western coastal provinces. I was kind enough to befriend France and retrieve their provinces from England (I still angry at them after Morocco incident). 

BTW, Here's my Italy "speedrun" (Warning! Major border gore!). Just scroll down 'til you find Sunbro9901's post (If you registered on Paradox Forums, you can say hi to me in private messages).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 22, 2016, 03:18:44 pm »

3) DO NOT USE CONTROL ALT DELETE WHEN THE GAME IS STARTING. It made my computer get stuck on a black screen. Had to restart it to get it going again.

I use ctrl + shift + esc to directly open up the task manager when I want to kill the process (which is like once every five minutes when testing), and haven't experienced any freezes. alt + F4 may also work, along with ctrl + w. It's a bit funny that the duct tape tier hotfix that introduced the need for the game to restart when going back to the main menu is still around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2854 on: November 23, 2016, 06:28:42 pm »

Was playing EU4 with the M&T mod. First thing I noticed was that with their autonomy system, I had to mod the tax penalty out as the AI simply didn't know how to play with the tax penalty. Upon removing it, the AI began behaving cleverly again (by EU4 standards).

After doing some Knights of Rhodes runs just to calibrate stuff, started off as England. Unlike in normal EU4, the communication times between London and France before you can start building roads everywhere causes severe autonomy issues, thus in order to maximize resources for the war effort all available lands were turned over to Aquitaine or Gascogne for administration. The English won the first few battles, staving off the French and carving a few chunks of France away into Aquitaine, however Paris was not taken. I was waiting for the crucial moment when the English would be able to field longbowmen, as that would rapidly shift the quality of armed forces away from the men at arms of France to the longbowmen of England. All the while this occurred I sought allies but found none, which was an issue as France found suitable allies in both Aragon and Castile, rendering them impervious to English initiated wars even at their weakest. Unable to do much but conquer some independent counts in the France region, England turned its attention towards integrating Scotland and Ireland into a British-isles superstate, anticipating that this would improve chances at securing the French throne (especially as it removed Scotland from the French coalition and added its troops to the English cause).

The next war went incredibly well, the longbowmen inflicting immense casualties on the French. There was just one issue; the English did not have enough resources to afford victory, especially as the Castilians were hammering the English alongside the French, and the Royal Navy was not of such a size that it could take both countries on at the same time. To avoid having to surrender with a Franco-Spanish invasion of Wessex and London, vassalage of Gascogne and some gold was forked over. As the French had lost some land and were hurting manpower wise, they accepted this peace. Gascogne was eventually attacked and its lands incorporated into Aquitaine, all the while the English navy expanded in size and scope, the Scottish and English nations growing closer and Ireland being assimilated by diplomacy, alliance and warfare. Things would go especially well once I secured an alliance with Portugal, Sweden and Naples - with Portugal and Naples providing very powerful counterbalances to the Mediterranean Iberian powers, whilst Sweden kept Norway pacified.

I was rather worried however, in the geographical difficulties faced by my predicament. Portugal and Naples were a fitting counterbalance, however my Aquitaine didn't have strategic depth; I could not surprise attack the French as their Fortresses were behind the hills and mountains surrounding Aquitaine, hill forts and mountains I needed to control to solidify Aquitaine's security as a sure thing. Without a secure Aquitaine, I simply would never be able to keep an army encamped around Paris long enough (as Castile and France would always be able to link up Forces in the time it would take to siege Paris), meaning France would ultimately be victorious.

Things would go horribly wrong when I declared war again, facing much the same problem again. It was simply far easier for the French to siege Aquitaine than it was for the English to siege their hillforts, and so the English were forced to abandon all their Norman cores & their gains in Aquitaine from the first successful quarter. I regathered my forces, amassing a large navy and army, building roads throughout Britain wherever possible and waited for the right time to strike France. The moment arrived when France got drawn into a Castilian-Aragonese war which bled it dry, after which it was struck by a plague. With the French King depleted of manpower and his provinces devastated by plague, that left only the French nobles and Aragon to contend with. The attack which could have secured Aquitaine or even Paris itself was about to commence, when the French gained control of the curia. My King was excommunicated by the Pope, forcing Naples to abandon their alliance with England. The French declared war with the aid of Burgundy and Aragon, my faith in the longbowmen was well-founded, but the superior resources of France was simply an insurmountable thing to beat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This would mark the extent of England's French ambitions. Notice Aquitaine's geographical boundaries of mountains and rivers are all held by French or French allied nobles. I never lost faith in the superior combat ability of the longbowmen even after that, but after more failed wars, I had to contend with the fact that ultimate victory was impossible - I should have just tried sieging Paris generations ago. High chance of failure, yes, but it was the only chance of victory.

I realized then that I had fallen into the exact same overconfidence and beliefs as did the monarchs of the hundred years war and felt rather foolish, for repeating their mistakes and doing things like dying. This would lay the foundations of the future Anglo nation however - as the monarchy sold Calais and began departing from Aquitaine (looting it for all the gold it had before giving the immensely angry nobles independence). Looting Aquitaine and granting it independence was the only wise move I made in the whole hundred years war.
Defending it was impossible, but by granting it independence it caused a war between Castile and France over which power would hold sway, causing both enemies of England to attack each other. In the aftermath of the war Castile lost Galicia, which promptly got diplomatically protected by Portugal, and Aquitaine lost pretty much all of her lands that wasn't protected by mountain forts.

Aquitaine became a city-state with 1 port and 1 fort, a vital English naval base from which to strike Castile and France, that England held on to for far longer than seemed possible. Excommunication in M&T is also far more brutal, lost all stability, got hit by a plague, isolated England diplomatically, killed any possible hope for a reconquest and permanently damaged Anglo-Papal relations. When the French set up their own anti-pope, England supported the Roman pope, then decided to forgo popes altogether and embrace the Calixtine heresy causing 3 generations of religious warfare (that turned into 4 when one King turned out to be a closet Catholic).

My one happy moment was getting revenge on Sweden for betraying our alliance - they got invaded by a Danish-Norwegian alliance. England wrecked Norway and Denmark, and as a result left the war having annexed Iceland. This still left Sweden on her own, and thus Sweden got partitioned between Denmark and Norway anyways. Interestingly, Silesians and England taking the Calixtine heresy seems to have slowed down the reformation considerably

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 24, 2016, 07:07:30 am »

I just started Muscovy -> Russia campaign last night. I formed Russia, but problem is that I'm torn between Expansion and Influence group. If I grab Expansion, I'll be able to colonize Siberia fast enough and get to Japan. If I grab Influence, I'll get a number of good bonuses, which include reduced AE and vassal annexation cost. My goal is to get borders stretching from Poland to Japan and simply have fun. But I think Expansion is the better option here, cuz conquering Japan gives you an achievement.

If you have alternatives to Influence/Expansion, then feel free to suggest different idea group to me.

I'm going with Expansion. Sorry for wasting your time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:11:16 pm by CrocAndBearLover »

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 26, 2016, 12:51:44 am »

I bought most of the major DLCs for EU4 during the current Steam sales. Well I take that back, a few (4 of them, so quite a substantial amount, ONE which was the newest rights of man which isn't even on sale) were gifted to me by a random steam user that I don't even know lol. I didn't ask or beg, or even say I was buying anything. That was a nice gift from a random stranger.

Though I probably won't take too much advantage of EU4 for now. I've played it mostly vanilla for quite a lot of play time. But, I'm really looking forward to the next MEIOU 2.0 patch, which sounds amazing. I hope it turns out good, they've spent a LOT of time with it. But it'll make EU4 so amazing if it turns out good. I assume it will. I haven't messed with MEIOU yet, but it looks like high quality content for a mod.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 26, 2016, 11:41:16 am »

I'm waiting on the update that adds populations to M&T. Definitely prefer that.

Probably prefer it if I could get that as a separate mod, though. M&T seems to complex for me to enjoy. It's not that I don't enjoy complexity (played DF before, after all), but sometimes the complexity just seems unnecessary.

Yeaaah. I really would like some of its features, but with all the others tacked on + a map that will definitely make it horrible to play on my computer, I don't see a reason to do much of anything with it. Plus, it seems like some of its features are complexity for complexity's sake.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 26, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »

I need Doctor Freud... I REALLY do.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 26, 2016, 05:21:37 pm »

Uh, I can't spot any dicks in that pciture. Where the dicks at?

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 27, 2016, 03:08:28 am »

Uh, I can't spot any dicks in that pciture. Where the dicks at?
Maybe it's pronounced 'shag a thai'?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 27, 2016, 03:14:51 am »

Uh, I can't spot any dicks in that picture. Where the dicks at?

Look at Uzbek and then slowly turn head to the east. You will see pretty phallic occupied territory (it has white color).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 29, 2016, 02:15:38 pm »

I'm trying to join my brother's game with an RNW (that we spent literally an hour genning for. The game was generating shitty stuff.), but when I try to join it doesn't even let me connect, it just stays on the screen I was previously on. There's no 'Connecting' popup, literally NOTHING happens. Does anyone have a solution for this OTHER than him restarting his game, because I'd rather that we don't lose this RNW.
Have you restarted your game? What screen are you on? How are you connecting?
Sigtext

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2863 on: November 29, 2016, 02:35:37 pm »

Uh, I can't spot any dicks in that picture. Where the dicks at?

Look at Uzbek and then slowly turn head to the east. You will see pretty phallic occupied territory (it has white color).
You do need Doctor Freud.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: December 02, 2016, 02:00:45 pm »

Man, those timmies are simply immortal. I already gave them two trouncings and they didn't explode.
This has been quite a funny run. TO slapped Poland around early game and if they got the PU over Lith they lost it. Then Hungary became a leading PU partner over Austria, I intervened but needed more than 100% warscore to break it, so I just forced them to liberate Transylvania instead and waited for it to fall apart on its own.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 216