Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239005 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »

I never got far, but will it be possible to make a columbian prison or do you have to treat your residents well?

Yes, you can make it a hell hole if you are prepared to manage it that way. You get penalized for dead prisoners/guards, so you will need lots of guards and medical care and nothing else. For that real feel i suggest you put toilets in cells but don't connect them.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:28 pm »

How viable is the dark ages prison - that being, you toss everyone into a brick room, lock the door, and put one booze-sodden guard in a wooden stool with a big brass keyring to make sure none of the bloodsplatter drips through the bars?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

How viable is the dark ages prison - that being, you toss everyone into a brick room, lock the door, and put one booze-sodden guard in a wooden stool with a big brass keyring to make sure none of the bloodsplatter drips through the bars?

Not at all. They will riot and kill each other and then overtake the guard and prison in just about 2-3 days.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2012, 07:28:53 pm »

It's fine if they kill each other.  But is it possible to build a secure enough doorway that they can't kill the guards, then?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2012, 07:38:37 pm »

It's fine if they kill each other.  But is it possible to build a secure enough doorway that they can't kill the guards, then?

From what I can tell there is no penelty in having terrible prisons. So a great trick would be to intentionally try to get prisoners to escape and riot so you can continue making money.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2012, 07:44:15 pm »

My image of a "good prison" is a large open pit, shamelessly designated as cells, with no beds or toilets, or like half as many as needed, nested inside several layers of walls with fresh access to the kitchen and no lights.

Overcrowding will never be an issue, though if it's anything like DF, then one inmate will develop fighting skills and become Highlander.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »

Penalty for dead prisoners? Give me a harsh reprimand and a bonus under the table for letting scum take care of scum :P

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:00 pm »

Penalty for dead prisoners? Give me a harsh reprimand and a bonus under the table for letting scum take care of scum :P

Hmm.. yes. Perhaps you'd be interested in European version of Prison architect instead?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

From what I can tell there is no penelty in having terrible prisons. So a great trick would be to intentionally try to get prisoners to escape and riot so you can continue making money.

It affects your prison's valuation. Which is basically like fortress wealth in DF. Time without incident gives you a bonus, unsolved murders, serious injuries and escapes reduce your valuation. Whether or not your prison valuation has anything to do with anything (one would think your monthly stipend would get a bonus from it or something) is unclear. Maybe it's just a "high score."

You can basically reduce a prisoner's standard of living to a 1x1 tile on a dirt floor with no light, laying unconscious in their own blood and filth, by virtue of you not providing them with shit so they riot continuously and then get thrown in solitary confinement. No showers, no rec room, no yard, no medical treatment, trudging pitifully along dirt and mud paths between barbed wire fences and tall concrete walls ....meanwhile your administrative staff sits in a massively overbuilt administrative complex surrounded by well manicured lawns and their offices are floored with nice hard wood. The warden might have solid marble tile in his office while the rest of the administrative complex is bedecked in mosaic and Florentine pattern tiles. Hell, I don't even know if prisoners need to eat, they just want to.

So yeah, I'd say it's very possible to have a medieval style hell hole. Especially with an unlimited budget to hire new security guards the instant the old ones are KIA, who conveniently appear in the thick of a riot the instant they show up for work. Right now the only real danger, when cheating for money, is your prison getting set on fire. The other clincher is that you can't hire more staff than your daily stipend allows for their salary...so you're effectively capped on guards by prisoners.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:11:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2012, 10:02:30 pm »

It probably affects your Grants quite extensively (which I bet Lawyers decrease that hit while accountants get better grants for you).

But since you can't get grants except the ones right at the start... there is no need to even care about it.

Thus one of the only ways to have a long lasting prison other then turning off new arivals is to find creative ways to get rid of a few prisoners.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

Incidentally, the game earned $100,000 worth of preorders in 72 hours. Which, by Kickstarter standards, is pretty tame. But Introversion is thrilled since it's probably the most money they've ever made outside of an official release.

Novel concept here. Release something... get paid? Not ironic that a developer has "Delay" in his name.Another 6 months and Introversion would have usurped 3dRealms in terms of non productivity.

Glad to see they are finally releasing anything. I've been saving up this pile of rage for a while, so now that I've got it off my chest....The game looks very interesting, but at a high price point. I was really expecting it to be in the $15 range in Alpha, but if it takes $30 alphas for them to finish it so be it, they'll get my money.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:57 pm »

If you get valuation for 'Days without incident', I'm expecting one of those 'X time since last incident' signs to appear in the game eventually :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:58 pm »

Its $30 in the alpha so that only diehard fans get it now and people don't get disillusioned and pissed that the game is entirely unfinished and reduce total future sales (I don't think its that much of a concern really, but that's their logic to some extent).
It will probably be cheaper at release (even if its only $5 cheaper).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »

Its $30 in the alpha so that only diehard fans get it now and people don't get disillusioned and pissed that the game is entirely unfinished and reduce total future sales (I don't think its that much of a concern really, but that's their logic to some extent).
It will probably be cheaper at release (even if its only $5 cheaper).

That actually makes a lot of sense. Alphas are kind of dangerous for established studios to release, so it is very logical to price it at a point to keep out the very vocal casuals.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2012, 12:00:28 am »

Personally, I think they should have had a lower price level as a regular pre-order for when it gets released above the alpha order to make sure everyone knew that, because I can see some people also getting pissed that they had to pay a higher price for the alpha without knowing it would be cheaper on release, but its not really a huge deal.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 107