Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238068 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect - Now with 50% more shanking
« Reply #510 on: December 15, 2012, 11:47:52 am »

When you're playing it normally, I think there's plenty to do. When you're playing it in sandbox mode however, it has issues. A lot of the point of the game is wrapped up in getting to a fully functional prison. So once you've done that you've kind of run out of things to do. The game isn't really ready for persistent gameplay right now.

Although being able to modify existing structures now does help your prison grow...as opposed to be before where you basically had to map out exactly what you wanted because it was a PITA to change anything.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 01:53:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »

When you're playing it normally, I think there's plenty to do. When you're playing it in sandbox mode however, it has issues. A lot of the point of the game is wrapped up in getting to a fully functional prison. So once you've done that you've kind of run out of things to do. The game isn't really ready for persistent gameplay right now.

So, is there some kind of end-game in normal mode? If so, what? And do the devs have plans to make persistent gameplay interesting, like random events etc?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:17 pm »

The devs have a lot of plans, mostly centred around campaign mode (which isn't in the alpha yet, but the dev videos have made it clear it's being alpha'd internally).

At this exact moment, you've got two options when creating a prison. You can enable 'continuous intake', which gives you ~8 new prisoners every day until your prison explodes. Without continuous intake, you'll only receive as many prisoners as you have space for, so the game trivially reaches a stable, mostly boring state.

Besides campaign mode, there will also be escape tunnels, gangs, and I'm pretty sure contraband is coming as well, so someday there'll be interesting end-game mechanics once your prison is mostly constructed. At the moment, though, prisons are downright trivial to manage once they've been fully constructed.

My $0.02? It's fun, but I'd hold off on buying it until after a few more patches come down. It's an alpha, intended for developers who like seeing a game progress, and for gamers who want to have influence on the direction/priorities of the game during development. If you're hoping for a finished, enjoyable game, Prison-Architect is not there yet.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 15, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »

My $0.02? It's fun, but I'd hold off on buying it until after a few more patches come down.

I'm assuming the current $30 price tag isn't a reduced alpha price that will shoot up once it advances, right? Either way, I think I'll slap my money down early on, to support them and register one more person who thinks games like this look awesome and should be more numerous.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 15, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »

Its an increased alpha price to keep people out, as far as I've heard.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »

Yeah. It's a bit weird, but even in this state I believe it's definitely worth your money.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:11 pm »

Wait what? So the price will drop once it comes out of alpha?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #517 on: December 15, 2012, 03:21:43 pm »

There's no official word on that.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 15, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

This game is still being developed so lot of core mechanics are fleshed out but totally unbalanched.

In example you need almost one cook each four-five prisoner to maintain them all fed, and costs/revenue still don't make any sense

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #519 on: December 15, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »

I think that is the general consensus.

It's expensive in alpha to discourage the hordes of people buying it then complaining about it not being the best thing evar.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:31 pm »

It's expensive in alpha to discourage the hordes of people buying it then complaining about it not being the best thing evar.

That reasoning falls flat when you consider how much advertising/marketing/PR stuff the devs have been doing.  They're charging as much as they are because they think it is (or will be) worth that much and can get away with doing so.  Which is absolutely fine.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #521 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »

I thought this was their own stated reasoning. If I'm incorrect, I apologise.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 15, 2012, 04:05:02 pm »

This makes a lot of sense. (Not even being sarcastic :P)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »

And we already had good examples of those folks in this thread.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 15, 2012, 05:09:14 pm »

This game is still being developed so lot of core mechanics are fleshed out but totally unbalanched.

In example you need almost one cook each four-five prisoner to maintain them all fed, and costs/revenue still don't make any sense

I haven't tested the new build yet, but if you need money, you can use workshop (basically, it makes that 1 tile = 10$ a day). I used that to double the money you get from prisoners, else, you're nearly stuck once you've used all the starting money.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 107