Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239093 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a28) - New look for Xmas
« Reply #1080 on: December 31, 2014, 01:13:27 pm »

So is it bad that I'm installing the game now, and I want to see what I can achieve with an old medieval prison?  Like, just one big holding cell for 20 guys, and armed guards to keep them suppressed.  Worst approval rating ever, but the most cost effective...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1081 on: December 31, 2014, 01:21:49 pm »

Should be fun. I think holding cells work except for the privacy and sleep thing. I tried putting beds in there but not sure it helped, they didnt seem to use them. There is a mod that looks really cool, its a WWII mod that has you running a Nazi German prison camp, it mods the cells so they dont need walls or doors and makes the just 1 square, so you can basically just make the cell the prisoners bed, then you can have a bunkhouse that works.

In my last prison, i tried a few ways of killing off troubling prisoners like I would in DF, though I havent figured out a reliable way of killing off the bad guys yet. I think maybe you could stick a bunch in a room of solitary cells with no doors, assign then to solitary for 24 hours, then dismantle the main door and brick it up. They will come out of their cells and kill each other. Havent tried it but it might be a brutal and effective way of offing those pesky murderers.
I got nothing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 31, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »

Could you just put them in a room, brick them in, and just... leave them?  Do they die?  Do you still get paid for them?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 31, 2014, 01:52:44 pm »

Uhm, about your cleaning thing, you can set the outdoors to be Staff Only, so prisoners won't go out there.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 31, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »

Set up road gates and don't allow prisoners near the edge/on the road with the prisoner logistics setting.

Beds worked in holding cells, at least in the last version.  They tend to only use em at normal sleeping hours.  Only issue is privacy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 31, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »

You can build a medieval hell hole of a prison. No food, no family visitations, ect...

The problem is as people start dying (and they will die a lot once fights start, which will be always) it counts against your prison management score. If it gets low enough, the prison is taken from. Do REALLY bad, and you end up playing yourself in your own prison. I don't know if there's any way to opt out of that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 31, 2014, 04:24:52 pm »

You can build a medieval hell hole of a prison. No food, no family visitations, ect...

The problem is as people start dying (and they will die a lot once fights start, which will be always) it counts against your prison management score. If it gets low enough, the prison is taken from. Do REALLY bad, and you end up playing yourself in your own prison. I don't know if there's any way to opt out of that.
There is, or was when I last checked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: January 10, 2015, 07:21:34 am »

Possibly relevant to your interests:

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/josh-begley-prison-map/

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 10, 2015, 10:10:41 am »

So... my holding-cell prison worked really well.  Like, REALLY well.  My biggest bottleneck was actually phones, of all things.  I could produce enormous amounts of food for prisoners, and stuff them into large enclosures of just beds, and got actually ridiculously high ratings.  It was more successful than actual prisons I've designed.  It fell apart when a riot broke into the armory, turns out we carry an infinite rack of shotguns, but with this new knowledge I think I could design something VERY stable and productive.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:00 am »

[My prison] was more successful than actual prisons I've designed.  It fell apart when a riot broke into the armory, turns out we carry an infinite rack of shotguns[...]

This seems like the best possible definition of success.  :D
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 10, 2015, 11:18:02 am »

So... my holding-cell prison worked really well.  Like, REALLY well.  My biggest bottleneck was actually phones, of all things.  I could produce enormous amounts of food for prisoners, and stuff them into large enclosures of just beds, and got actually ridiculously high ratings.  It was more successful than actual prisons I've designed.  It fell apart when a riot broke into the armory, turns out we carry an infinite rack of shotguns, but with this new knowledge I think I could design something VERY stable and productive.

...Now i feel like a shmuck for making a meticulously planned out prison using air-locked entrances, double-layered fencing, constant dog patrols across the cell blocks for contraband and tunnels, outer fencing patrols to catch tunnelers, metal detectors at every major intersection, locked down kitchens using staff door airlocks, locked down.. pretty much everywhere. Oh and mandatory yard time so my dog patrols in the yard can sniff you once per day. Oh and random shakedowns whenever i see someone with drugs.

All that work when a giant holding cell with beds could have kept the masses stable  :(

The only problem i had with this prison though was a lack of shower space cuz assigning shower rooms to cell blocks isnt in the game yet.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 10, 2015, 12:46:38 pm »

Holding cells skirt around a lot of the rules.  They don't seem to ever tunnel out of them because it's not their toilet.  And if there's a 'lockdown' punishment, they don't go anywhere and stay in place in handcuffs forever.  The amount of contraband is also drastically lower, as they don't have anywhere to store it.  And, surprisingly, violence is down, as fewer guards can watch over more prisoners in tighter spaces.

I had the most trouble with Privacy, but I found putting phones in individual little booths with a door gave them -just- enough time to be content while they called their families.  Food, sleep, bowel, and bladder were all well within green limits.  Freedom and recreation were tricky, but that's because I didn't plan for the 150+ prisoners.  Food was also a bit of an issue, but I went overkill and did fine.

The main thing is to GO BIG.  Big holding cell, big shower, big kitchen... just enormous rooms.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 10, 2015, 12:49:55 pm »

So big as in medium start, or large start?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 10, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »

I did a small start and packed in like... 180 before it broke, but I still had plenty of unused space.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:39 am »

This is the next thing for them to do really. To actually give us a reason for all the extreme security we can design. I also have made a few prisons with extreme security.

For example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, everything I could think of for holding a mix of medium-maximum security guys.

Unfortunately most of this is still really not necessary. The prisoners just don't really have any intelligence when it comes to organizing break-outs. While we now have more crazy violent prisoners, and pretty much guaranteed murder of any snitchers around other prisoners, we have yet to see smart, strategizing prisoners who we need to fail-safe the prison against in order to justify the above kind of set-up. I hope they get around to addressing this over the course of this year, but I think it will take some work as AI can be tricky. Also, they need still some foundational design going into things like relationships between particular characters, and personalites/corruptibility for staff etc.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:38:06 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 107