Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cave crab death pit. Thoughts?

Yes! Let the death pinchings commence!
- 6 (75%)
Eh, I could go with ants or crabs.
- 2 (25%)
No! I want my promised giant ant death pit!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks. - Retired  (Read 47602 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks. - Retired
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

Welcome to the story of Goldenrocks folks. I had a previous plan for a different tale but it tanked due to an incident involving war animal stupidity and a monstrous beetle rampage killing some elephants I needed for something else. I have decided, largely because I like to procrastinate on assigned reading and because I want something to give me a reason to see a fort to it's inevitably bloody end, to share the tale of this place as it goes puttering along. I also have some bizarre fixation with running crap like this, despite the fact that it will eventually drive me to the brink of madness.

I'll be nicknaming dwarves as they come, some after forumites, but if you'd like to claim one, go right ahead. I'll be maintaining a list for this purpose. I might also add in drawings of my own or anything you fine folks decide to cobble together, so I'll be tracking those as well. Probably going to end up going stark raving mad keeping track of this shit though. Anyways, I welcome you all, to a lost group's little home. First official post further down the page. Also because of the hassle of uploading images, this will largely be sans pictures unless I feel they're needed or somebody wants a profile of a dwarf they've claimed.

I hope you'll all bear with me, and enjoy watching this mess unfold. I may also set up polls in the thread to decide a few courses of action. on to the story! Below I'll put significant events in this post until I run out of space. they'll be colorcoded thusly: Good Significant, Mundane Significant, Oh Crap Siginifcant.

Also, do note I encourage those who claim a dwarf to participate in some fashion. A little audience participation can help me when writing updates.

Semi/Important Events
- 2nd Granite, year 5: Foundation of Goldenrocks
- 23rd Limestone, year 5: Chops is killed by a giant flying squirrel.
- 23rd Limestone, Year 5: Chops' Murderer is brought to justice.
- 1st Sandstone, year 6: Squid and Mattock marry, becoming the first  dwarves married in the settlement.
- 4th Sandstone, year 6: Frost Poollash is Born to Cobalt and Skull, being the first dwarf born in the settlement.
- 7th Sandstone, year 6: Mantis and Slade marry, becoming the second hook-up in Limulid.
- 6th Opal, year 6: Lev and Mona have married, being the third hook-up! Here's to a prosperous marriage!
- 21st Opal, year 6: Targe and Zinc get hitched.
- 10th Hematite, year 7: First crops sown! We'll hopefully be good for food now.
- 25th Felsite, year 8: Nightfire Ropeshocks is murdered by the violet xelic snatcher Kisnast Athotatig.
- 25th Felsite, year 8: Nightfire is avenged by Corai the Warrior-Merchant as his murderer tried to flee.
- 8th Moonstone, year 8: Cobra Whiptaut is snatched while following Cobalt around running errands.
- 21st Felsite, year 9: Targe completes his great work, Aliliost, Gleefulfolded, a cedar weapon rack.
- 23rd Hematite, year 9: The first segment of the golden road of Goldenrocks marked to be lain.
- 12th Limestone, year 9: First section of the Golden Road completed.
- 10th Sandstone, year 9: Splint completes his great work, Tinothnobang Raluk Mafol, Equaldismal the Hail of Chambers, a Brightsilver mug.
- 6th Obsidian, year 9: Andi completes her great work, Emastokid Nelzurdumu, Cherishedimpales the Invisible haunt, a giant sparrow bone throne.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »

Current Available Dwarves, if you're so inclined.

FOUNDERS
Feral Rootsmith - Expedition leader/Woodworker/Craftsman [Claimed by:TheKaspa]
Usi Brassvise, The Beautiful Poetry of Stones - Battleminer [Claimed by: GreatWyrmGold]
Mona Lightinglash The Wild-Thirst of Smashing - Battleminer
Squid Faintlancers - Animal Trainer/Medic
Targe Anvilstrapped- Animal Trainer
Lev Chewedlash - General purpose farmer/Assitant Broker
Zinc Bowlroughness - Semi-mad Architect [Claimed by: Draconik_Sankis]

WAVE 1
Anvil Tongsthrew - Speardorf/Talented Armorer/ Fisherddorf [Claimed by: Hanslanda]
Wax Fencedefense, The Eerie Talons of Culmination - Battleminer [Claimed by: InsanityIncarnate]
Chops Theaterwilt - Woodcutter/Carpenter [SUBJECT:DECEASED]
Stone Craftpacked- Stonecrafter/Mason
Mantis Gearedskin, The Split Standard of Watchfulness - Talented butcher of anything that looks at her funny.
Ringo Craftscratches - High master potash maker/ General worker
Andi Spokenpicks - General purpose farmer/ Apprentice bone Carver

WAVE 2
Splint Twobust - Weapon/Armorsmith and animal trainer [Claimed by: Splint]
Corai Portalamazed, The Earthen Numbers of Connecting - Warrior-Merchant [Claimed by: Corai]
Slade Mergegems The Contested Lure of Lashing - Battleminer
Mattock Charmclasped - Miner/Clan Chef
Osprey Windlanced, The Fleshy Pleat - Mason
Skull Helmstoked - Talented Bone Carver/Swordsdwarf
Cobalt Toolpages - Woodcrafter
---
Wave 2a
Frost Poollash - Child
Cobra Whiptaut - Child [SUBJECT: ABDUCTED]
Muscov Bodiceglens - Child
Nightfire Ropeshocks - Child [SUBJECT: DECEASED]
Coral harp Boltstaperes - Child
Wren Syrupgrizzles - Child
Midnight Inkedsteels - Child
Hammerhead Zealcrystals - Child

WAVE 3

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »

The dwarves of The Somber Sling had only begun keeping track of time five years ago, in all the time they had lived here, it was only so recently an innovation. The Somber Sling was renown among the dwarves for accomplishing a wieghty and terrible task: The Taming of The Pachyderm. Ancient legends told of those fell beasts rampaging across the savanna, slaying dwarves at random for seemingly so much as being looked upon funny. The Somber Sling however, would have none of that. After many years they had become masters of the demonic beasts, and even sent out groups to hunt and bring back herds to add to those around their mountainhome. While a group had been run out during their construction of a settlement to act as a way station the year before, this group had gone far from home in the opposite direction, seeking not to build a settlement, but to build the homeherds. They were somewhat successful, coaxing an elephant matriarch, a bull and another cow to come home with them. However, fate has, as it often does, intervened....

“Where's that stupid map....” A dwarf said as he rummaged through the remaining supplies. “You say somethin' Feral?” Usi asked while shooing away the sugar beetles that had been incessantly following them. “Damned bugs just won't leave us alone.” “Just trying to find that damned map. Any idea where it-” Suddenly there was a call from Targe, one of the two trainers of the group. “I found it! Those  damned sugar bugs tried to make off with- Oh dear...” Feral hopped out of the wagon with Usi and went around to see what he was going on about. “You found it yes? Then let's get out of here! Zinc! Go hitch the beetles back up!” Feral said when they met with Targe. “Well... There's a small problem Feral...” Targe said worriedly as he held up a nibbled bit of what appeared to be a corner of rope reed parchment. “What's that?” Usi asked, cocking a brow. “Well,” Targe sighed “It's what's left of the map. I think they like rope reeds.”

“WHAT!?” Feral shouted.

---

“So, what do we do now? No way we can make it home on what we have.” Squid said quietly around the campfire. “That's Feral's call. He's the expedition head.” Mona replied. They'd had a mix of skills so they could live off the land sure, but it'd be impossible to get the elephants home with only seven dwarves, three war crabs and a few crude tools. “There's no towns for miles. What do we do now boss?” Lev asked, worry clear in his speech. Feral sat and pondered for a moment. “We stay. If nothing else, we'll be no worse off than when we started. Any ideas on a name? If not for others, we need it for our own reference.” He said grimly. He had little hope that they'd survive out here. The giant crows they'd seen the day before would kill them all if they were hungry enough, to say nothing of the other possible gigantic predators that might be nearby that couldn't fly, but surely outrun and devour a dwarf. “Could draw a few random words out of a hat, like soldiers do when they name their weapons after a battle.” Mona suggested, taking her cap off. “We can use any ol' cap if someone wants to write the slips.”

After a few hours scouting the immediate surroundings while waiting for Targe to finish writing whatever words sprang to mind on a few pages from the back of his journal. Feral did the draw from Mona's cap. This place would be known, if to nobody else but them, as Limulid, Goldenrocks. This was somewhat funny as there wasn't even a yellow stone to be had, though  yellow sand a plenty judging by the hill to the north. “Now what?” Squid asked while she was playing Tug-of-War with one of the crabs. “That hill's too far to be a convenient storehouse, and the elephants might crush a roof in on us...” Usi said, trailing off, apparently losing his train of thought. “We got clay around here Feral, maybe we could just throw up a some adobe shelters until we get some kilns made?” Mona suggested. “I vote we do that. I don't want to wake up with an elephant in my bedroom cause it fell through the floor.” Squid said. “Alright alright, in the mean time, I'll knock some trees down to put up a stockade.” Feral said in agreement. “What do you want me and Mona to do?” Usi asked, hefting his pick. “For now, get to work putting shelters together.” Feral said, grabbing a sack of slate bricks. “What's with the sack of bricks boss?” Lev asked. “Tossing up a workbench. Can't knock out trees without an axe can I?”

OoC: There we are, first update. More will come, possibly another tonight.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

ptw

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »

Appreciated. And honestly what I had looked like more on OpenOffice.  :-\

Another update WILL come tonight too.

EDIT: UPDATE DEUCE!

“Anyone got an idea what the date is?” Squid asked while she sat surrounded by the crabs. “10th Granite, why?” Targe answered while searching for a good stick to teach the giant beetles to fight with.“Because I wanted to write about those things and didn't wanna get the date wrong.” She said plainly, gesturing to the animals gliding down from the trees. “What in sweet glorious FUCK are those things!?” He said, springing to his feet. “Giant flying squirrels I think. Never paid attention in tamer's school did you?” Squid said calmly. “I only paid attention to the parts where I got to make giant beetles kill goblins and make elephants not want to stomp me to a bloody paste.” Squid laughed. “Serves you right then. If you sight anything, just ask me about it, okay? Don't go calling the militia on something we can possibly make use of.” Targe just waved a dismissive hand “Yeah yeah, get stuffed. Damn it where's that stick... hey Squid, think we can train the elephants to whack things that we don't like? You know, instead of just using them for meat like they do back home.” Squid sat and thought about this. Fighting elephants sounded like a horribly brutal and effective idea. “I'm sure we can figure something out...” She said with a grin.

“How's the pit looking Usi?” Feral asked as he came back wiping sweat from his brow. Feral had spent the last few days picking only the strongest of highwoods to build the stockade. “Good. We got up some kilns to serve as collection centers too. Mona and Lev are down gathering materials now. Need some brew?” Usi said, offering a crude wooden mug of beer. “Ah, thank you.” Feral managed before grabbing the cup and gulping down the drink. Targe came up and scooped out a little boulder looking yellow mass and took a bite of it, cringing slightly. “Oh, Targe, I need to ask you something.” Feral said as he handed the cup back to Usi. “Anything you need Feral. What's up?” He said while picking a large hard globule of the substance out and setting it on the wagon. “I need you to begin work on the stockade while I take down more trees.”  Targe sighed. “Seriously? How am I going to do that with so little wood? Won't any old tree suffice for a wall?” Targe took a bite out of his edible boulder. “Besides, thought that's what we're gathering clay for.” Feral planted his handaxe firmly in the wagon. “No, highwood is the only wood that'll do because once stripped of it's leaves and branches, and it's roots removed, it is the tallest of logs there is. Highwood is also a good strong wood. It has to be to deal with these behemoths climbing all over them. And a tall, strong stockade goes a long way to security.” “Alright alright, jeeze. I'll get on it. Oh, Mona said she's gonna help Zinc with the clay shelters, wanted me to let you know. They already got to work over there,” Targe paused, gesturing around the other side of the wagon “but they said they'll need you to clear out the trees where they're working before they can put up a floor.” Feral sighed and wrenched his axe from the wagon. “Tell them I'll do it when I fell enough trees for the stockade.”

The following is taken from the journal of Targe Anvilstrapped.

22nd Granite, year 5.[/u]

It's raining. And we've no roof over our heads because of paranoia concerning the pachyderms' weight. This sucks. We're gathering ample building materials sure, but that jackass's insistence on only using Highwood for the stockade is irritating. Oh well. On the plus side, the elephants took to combat training surprisingly well and uprooted a tree when ordered to attack it. This is good indeed. Zinc and Mona have been working fairly quick in putting up a surprisingly nice shelter composed of sun baked sandy clay we've brought up. Not quite earthenware, but hey, make due with what one has and all.

OoC: Nothing of note other than a flock of giant crows and nothing gettiong accomplished thanks to me leaving DF in the background unpaused, which.... wasn't my intention. Oh well. ON WITH THE SHOW!

“Got a good pile of clay to work with now, what should we do with it?” Squid asked, looking at the large piles of clay gathering outside the kilns. “A barracks and dining hall. Need a place to train and a place to eat after all.” Feral said, dragging over the last highwood he'd felled. Hey boss, we got a problem. “We're uh, running a tiny bit low on supplies.” Usi said, looking through the wagon. Got a day or two's drink, and a day or two's meat. “Oh crap.... Right then. We need a food store then.” The dwarves worked diligently trying to assemble a stockpile on the meager supplies they had. They were all fearful on the food front, though they'd resigned to having to drink water when the drink ran dry, which it did in short order with working in the hot sun daily. Mercifully though, there was a river to the south close enough to not be a bother. “We need a cage or a pen for these damned animals.” Zinc blurted out one day. The others were stunned. Zinc hadn't spoken much since they had made the decision to stay. “I'm tired of tripping over the damned things to two dolts have taught to kill.” “Sit and spin Zinc, they're our critters whether you like it or not.” Targe shot back. “Shut it! The walls for the food store are done. Nothing goes in there we can't eat. Seeds will go upstairs when we finish the floor.” Feral ordered. “Lev, we need plants. NOW. Before our food runs out. Squid, help him out. Zinc, shut up and help me build a store house.” Feral had kept them alive thus far with his way of leading. They all quieted and set about their tasks.

This winter would be a grim one indeed if they couldn't rectify the supply situation. Feral knew this, and would run these poor dwarves ragged if he had to to keep them alive.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »

Lovin' it so far, Splint.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

Dorf Anvil Tongthrew as Hans please. :)

Also, Liking it so far. And have the 'left it unpaused' thing as everyone took a week long break. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »

Ownership assigned. I'll be leaving names as is for the sake of what I've written for the update, if that's ok.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:18:48 pm »

Yeah, that's all good. It always is a bit jarring for 'Urist Ozizolibur' to be talking to 'ScreamingSteve231'.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:31:32 pm »

That's why I leave numbers off people's dwarves in Spearbreakers. Just a little wierd.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »

UPDATE: A shameless bump and an update. Goldenrocks got 'migrants!'

“Holy shit.... Boss! Hey boss! We got visitors!” Lev shouted from outside the unfinished stockade. “What....” Feral moaned. Visitors? Who the hell would need to be out here? Were they dwarves? Humans? Elves? Or even goblins? The dwarves of Goldenrocks assembled and were greeted by a burly woman, carrying an armorer’s toolkit. “Hey there! What you lot doin' out 'ere?” She said in a friendly tone as more dwarves came up over the horizon. “Never mind us, what are YOU doing here? This looks like a group of immigrants.” Feral replied. “Ya could say that. We're a company group some tallfolk hired to 'elp put up a settlement. We were jus' gonna stop along this river 'ere ta get a drink when we spotted ya. I'm Anvil by tha way. Anvil Tongsthrew.” The smith said, extending a hand. “Feral Rootsmiths. If you don't mind, please be on your way. We don't have enough supplies for just the seven of us, let alone helping travelers.” Anvil looked at the generally disheveled 'settlement.'  “Well, we could stay here, now that ya mention it. Seems you lot need our 'elp a might bit more than some tallfolk.” Feral sighed. This woman spoke strangely and now she was giving of an effect of trying to impose on them. “Well, if ya really need the stuff, then we can 'elp ya get it. Hey, Ringo, Mantis. You guys help the funny fella there find something edible alright?” Anvil called to the nearest workers behind her. Mantis, a butcher based on the tools she had, scowled and said nothing, but remained where she stood. “I uh... Don't know how to even ID plants..” Ringo said timidly. Feral let out an agitated sigh.“Lev, come here.” Feral shouted over to the gatherer. He trotted over in short order. “Whatcha need boss?” Feral pointed to the ones called Ringo and Mantis “Show these two how to gather plants. It'll be easier for you with some help.” Lev threw up a mock salute. “Righto boss. Come with me you two.” Lev said, motioning for the two to follow. “I refuse.” Mantis said coldly. “Mantis, if ya wanna eat tonight ya go.” Anvil said irritably. “I am a of animals, not some foolish plant lover.” She spat back. “Well miss, look at it this way. You aren't showing the plants kindness, you're butchering the plant you get the berries from.” Mantis grumbled that that was a passable reason to assist.

“So, what can the rest of these fools do?” Feral asked, gesturing to the now assembled work party. The rest of them lined up and introduced themselves by name and profession. “Stone Craftpack. Stonecrafter and a moonlighting mason sir.” The first said. He was rather unspectacular in appearance for a dwarf. “Andi Spokenpicks, I'm a milker and a presser by trade Mr. Rootsmiths.” The next said. She was short even by dwarven standards, and unmistakably weak from the looks of it. “Wax Fencedefense - Expert miner and I know a bit about wrestling.” said the dwarf bearing a copper pick, Right after was the dwarette who said her names was Chops Theaterwilt. Unlike himself, Chops had a proper metal handaxe.  Like Zinc she wasn't much of a talker but otherwise friendly.

“Right then. Wax, I want you, Usi and Mona to look for any stone outcrops and get us some building material.” feral said, pointing off at the hill nearby. “There's gotta be some stone in there somewhere. Chops, I'd like you to help me take down more highwoods for the stockade.” Chops nodded. “The rest of you find something useful to do. Hey Anvil, can you catch fish barehanded?” Anvil shrugged. “Probably, why?” “It may be the only surefire way to avoid starving in the short term.”

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 11:30:19 am »

I'll take Usi Brassvise. Name him GreatWyrmBrass, please. Goal: Create a giant brass mechanical monster elephant and take over the world! Barring that, use brass in a bunch of overly-complicated traps.
Reading as I speak...type...whatever.

His insanity can set in any time; until then, he's a "normal" miner/mechanic. Afterwards, he demands to be called by GreatWyrmBrass and tries to steal materials for a prototype of his Brass M=Elephant of Doom! (B.E.D. of short...could use some work on the acronym...)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:38:00 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:37 am »

A Worthy Endevour, please set aside Zinc Bowlroughness for my use please, and as names remain the same, please re-title him Semi-Mad Architect.  Thank you and I shall now go brush up on my architecture 101 and my T.A.G Architecture 04-541t. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:16 pm »

Alright. Zinc marked as claimed. Welcome aboard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28