Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540869 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9480 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:41 am »

"Gub! Will you just hold on to yourself and be patient! I am trying to do what you require from me and I do not need the threat of discorporation to harry me along!"
Try to fortify one's self and follow the rat and the tailor
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:22:44 am by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: March 31, 2014, 05:41:36 am »

~I'm going to try a different aproach~

~First, is there any possibility for me to convince you with the right arguments?~

~If not, is there any posssibility for me to not get pulled outside of this body? Considering that it is far different than the rest adn has many uses that are likely to help with our mission~

~And, for last, can you not put me in the same body with Scott or Mark? I don't care about the rest, I just don't want to share a soul vessel with them~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:30 am »

~Fuck. Out of all people you could have fused me with, you chose Mark?~

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:57 am »

"What are you implying? You do know that I've lived through a war zone and I've been on my second chance longer then you with out mutilations."
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: March 31, 2014, 06:57:11 am »

"I'm implying that you're batshit insane and that Lizzie was much more pleasant to share a body with."

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: March 31, 2014, 07:23:21 am »

"I'm implying that you're batshit insane and that Lizzie was much more pleasant to share a body with."
Mark took quick look through his memories "Well I can't argue with that"
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:04 pm »

Inside the engineers' mausoleum...

Darren, not one to protest against choosing not to hang out with weirdos, follows his friend through one of the nearby walls. This time they seem to have landed in a rather cozy little temple of some kind - it's got a massive staircase leading up to an altar of black stone, even! And a lot of pews and braziers with variably-colored flames. And a bunch of metallic worshipers praying at the altar and softly chanting in metallic voices. Overseeing this synthetic place of worship is a floating woman, her unmoving, dignified pose giving her the look of a statue. She seems to be the object of worship here, as evidenced by her floating above the altar.

"I swear, this place just gets weirder every moment," Darren's friend remarks, and suddenly the ectoplasmic statue's eyes open. Before the two even know it, it seems to disappear from its spot, instantly transporting itself over to the two visitors.

"Why, hello!" the statue says in a feminine voice, sounding remarkably cheerful despite the grave expression on her face and the way her lips never seem to move. "Can I help you?"

"Well, we're looking for a place to have some fun, if you know what I mean," Darren's friend says, nodding suggestively.

"Ah! Of course. Can I watch?" the statue asks, and Darren's friend looks at him questioningly.

In the lair of an evil, nasty rat...

Niklas tries to channel his rage at the rat, and use that to gain an advantage!

[Niklas' raging roll: 5]

Finding his lack of arms to be something to get righteously pissed off about, Niklas roars and jumps at the rat, seeking to provide it with the most painful and terrible death using nothing but his teeth and bloody-mindedness.

[Niklas vs. Rat: 1-2+1-1 vs. 3]
[Counterattack: Rat vs. Niklas: 5 vs. 5-1]
[Attack: Rat vs. Niklas: 6 vs. 4-1]

However, just as Niklas tries to go for the rat's throat, the creature simply headbutts him, sending him reeling backward, then sets about the wonderful task of ripping out the rest of his digestive tract, chewed-up guts flying left and right as the rat goes into a feeding frenzy. Niklas feels like the battle is not really going in his favor right now. It's a little unfortunate, he finds.

Mark nods "the main problem is that after we are split is that the Gub can just put us back together again. Is there a way to stop that?"

"Really, you just need to consciously resist being pulled out of your body. That'll make it exponentially harder to pull you this way or that. I've also got spells of warding to help you out if needed."

~we must say, it is quite uncharacteristic for art to do things! we had not accounted for this possibility!~

"Gub! Will you just hold on to yourself and be patient! I am trying to do what you require from me and I do not need the threat of discorporation to harry me along!"

~we are trying to move you places, not rip out your soul! we have this wonderful idea on what to do with you, actually!~

~I'm going to try a different aproach~

~First, is there any possibility for me to convince you with the right arguments?~

~If not, is there any posssibility for me to not get pulled outside of this body? Considering that it is far different than the rest adn has many uses that are likely to help with our mission~

~And, for last, can you not put me in the same body with Scott or Mark? I don't care about the rest, I just don't want to share a soul vessel with them~

~yes, how about a ghost body, and it seems unlikely!~

~silly kevin, you are not fused! you simply happen to control the same body! now will you get moving already?~

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: March 31, 2014, 01:51:52 pm »

"Uh...maybe you should see daddy-gub before messing around with the fragile form of the ghost head thing...huh?...huh?"
Attempt to reason how to block mental signals based on limited experience with telepathy and telekinesis.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:23:37 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

FUCK

Run away while praying to Narcillius for help. He was a chill god and stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: March 31, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »

Upon hearing Art say so, the slime begun to move towards him. It poked the mage with a pseudo limb, then drew the following letters on the floor out of itself (one after the other):

S-I-G

Then pointed at itself with more pseudo limbs.

Meanwhile, Sigmund kept trying to reason with the Gub:

~I'm glad I can reason with you. I will willingly let myself to let you transfer my soul if I find your motives to be sensible enough, but you will have to let me reason with you first.

You say that you want to improve our teamwork by putting us into the safe confined space. But, it just would increase the problems we already have. If we lack cohesion when deciding over how to do thing in general, shouldn't we have problems to agree to perform every single basic action? That would be worse than if we had been in a separate body, because in that case each individual could accomplish actions on their own, while if we are in the same body, we wouldn't be able to accomplish anything bigger than a simple action, due to different criteria.

Second, if you want to improve things related to spacial dispersion and lack of communications, then you can indeed help with that by allowing us to communicate through you. That would help us to coordinate different things even when we are away, without the need to decrease the amount of available bodies.

Third, decreasing the number of bodies we are able to use would make more difficult to accomplish our goal. Isn't it a better option for kidnapping someone to come from every side, cutting the target's escape ways, instead of coming from only one? Wouldn't more bodies be able to cause distractions as the abduction is performed?

And, about the ghost body, its inmaterialness can help with subterfuge, but it actually has the problem of requiring a huge effort to influece the material world, thus making more difficult the abduction. Also, I can't carry my foci in that state.~

((Apologies for the wall of text, I unusually like the slime body. Odd, I know, but I like it))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:17 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

"That... Is quite certainly a choice of attire."

Morton was at a loss of how to really describe it in a positive way. He most certainly would prefer to not wear such a thing, and can quite see the noblewoman's viewpoint from here. He quickly picked up on his prior statement however, finding his conversational flow again.

"But, if you don't mind, I would be quite fine with waiting I believe. Although it seems the need for proper attire may be unnecessary, good group Gub seems to require me to attain a different body for a task. I do so apologize for the waste of time..." The rat trailed off, an idea occurring to him to perhaps make the wasted effort up to the tailor.

"But perhaps I can still provide assistance. If I'm to acquire a new body promptly, I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in giving you an example of what may happen to second attempts. If something dreadful were to occur, I'd simply be moved to another body, if not, then it shall be helpful information none the less. It may perhaps be of more use to good group Gub as well. If you would allow me a moment to offer the suggestion to good group Gub, good tailor Craig?"

The rat then communed with Gub. He must admit he isn't entirely sure what the reason for the body transfer was, perhaps due to the task or maybe to cut down on travel time, but he supposes it wouldn't be too terrible now that he could prepare for it.

~Is this perhaps agreeable to you, good group Gub? I believe it shouldn't take too long, and if this body isn't necessary I suppose I don't see any harm into the attempt, beyond a bit of time taken. I shall go into the portal, commune with the Aspect, and then return. I'm afraid where may be perhaps variable however, as the time. As for the team I would wish to join, I trust you shall find which I would be most helpful on.~

Politely deny dress, attempt to make peace with the good tailor due to the above proposal, ask Gub for permission. If yes, give the tailor the metaphorical thumbs up and go portal diving. If no, apologize for raising his hopes.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: April 01, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

"Ah, yes... Sure..."
This was awkward. He had started to wonder as to whether it would have been wiser to try and make it on his own. But, he had made his choice.
"We were interested in ancient artifacts. That's fun to us."
Smile. Try to use the ol' lady killer charm to get past this.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:45:26 am by Spinal_Taper »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:07 am »

"We can't do shit if we both control the same body."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: April 03, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »

At a nice terrace...

Scott attempts to make the gub stop whatever they're doing through the amazing power of intelligence. After a moment of thought, he guesses that he'd probably be able to block all sorts of foreign influences if he just thought various disruptive thoughts. Yeah, that'd probably work.

"Uh...maybe you should see daddy-gub before messing around with the fragile form of the ghost head thing...huh?...huh?"

~the gub have no fathers, mothers, sons or daughters! the gub are gub from the beginning until the end!~

His current process of dying, however, is something he fails to consider.

[Scott's will roll: 2-1]

And boy, does dying feel like crap. Scott doesn't need this! He's had way too much of this, in fact. If one imagined life as a great big bar, he'd be the guy who has one too many drinks, then gets shanked with a broken bottle and robbed every Friday. Yes, every Friday. The dissatisfaction within him mounts as his soul more than half-slips out of his body.

[Scott's will roll: 5-2]

He does wonder what he could do to not die, though. Something clever, preferably. Yes, something clever would do very nicely right about now.

~it seems you are on your own here, scott! we are without ideas on how to help you! try not to die! it would lessen the amount of spellcasters we could obtain from the kidnapping venture that is to follow!~

In the lair of a monstrous rat...

Hoping that he might survive if he takes the cowardly southerner way out, Niklas spurts blood from his torn throat in a manner suggesting he may have been attempting to utter an expletive and tries to run away.

[Niklas' escape roll: 5]
[Rat's pursuit roll: 1]

The rat does not seem willing to follow Niklas out of its lair - a possibly fatal mistake, as Niklas manages to tumble through the passageway, making the whole area slick with his blood, and eventually flops out into the hallway - nobody seems to be around presently, so Niklas utters a prayer to Narcillicus. Sadly, he feels no different afterward. Guess Narcillicus is too chill to talk to him right now.

In the streets of Mothdale...

Sigmund tries to approach Art and inform him of who he might be. As he approaches Art, though, the necromancer turns to him and points his hand at him.

"Stop."

Sigmund does, as he doesn't want to find out what Art's default attack spell this way. He instead tries to write some letters on the ground, which winds up to be something of a fruitless endeavor, considering that he doesn't actually seem to be secreting a whole lot of slime, being rather membranous and all, and that whatever he is secreting appears to be translucent. And his control of his body doesn't seem to be sufficient to make any recognizable letter shapes, unfortunately.

"Good," Art says, noticing that Sigmund seems unwilling to try anything rash, and turns back to Kevmark to hopefully resolve the whole matter of their unification.

"We can't do shit if we both control the same body," Kevin says out loud.

~false! lies! lies and deceit! really, you are just too inert to try anything pr cooperate! we are disappointed in your lack of progress!~

"Well, how about we fix that?" Art says.

[Art's magic roll: 5]

Kevin feels himself get torn out of Mark's body and placed into the nearby dolphin corpse. Quite an efficient process, Kevin must say.

~you truly are the worst imaginable minions who have ever existed! were it not too inconvenient, we would eliminate you all for your unfortunate attitude!~

Sigmund doesn't hear any of this, however. He just mentally converses with the gub, mindful of his own business.

~I'm glad I can reason with you. I will willingly let myself to let you transfer my soul if I find your motives to be sensible enough, but you will have to let me reason with you first.~

~You say that you want to improve our teamwork by putting us into the safe confined space. But, it just would increase the problems we already have. If we lack cohesion when deciding over how to do thing in general, shouldn't we have problems to agree to perform every single basic action? That would be worse than if we had been in a separate body, because in that case each individual could accomplish actions on their own, while if we are in the same body, we wouldn't be able to accomplish anything bigger than a simple action, due to different criteria.~

~Second, if you want to improve things related to spacial dispersion and lack of communications, then you can indeed help with that by allowing us to communicate through you. That would help us to coordinate different things even when we are away, without the need to decrease the amount of available bodies.~

~Third, decreasing the number of bodies we are able to use would make more difficult to accomplish our goal. Isn't it a better option for kidnapping someone to come from every side, cutting the target's escape ways, instead of coming from only one? Wouldn't more bodies be able to cause distractions as the abduction is performed?~

~And, about the ghost body, its immaterialness can help with subterfuge, but it actually has the problem of requiring a huge effort to influence the material world, thus making more difficult the abduction. Also, I can't carry my foci in that state.~

~you lack cohesion because you are not unified! unification does not require cohesion, it engenders it! communication is not the issue! you have far too many bodies and far too little intellect between you! that is the problem! that is the exact problem we are having here! and your foci are lost! beyond immediate recovery! we suspect they may have been eaten by rampant animals! and you are woefully unimaginative about abductions! particularly since you are seeking spellcasters! also known as people who tend to defy physical methods of apprehension! really, the very human urge to kill each and every one of you is rapidly intensifying within our collective mind! the consequences are beginning to seem relatively insignificant! what a relatively unfamiliar sensation this is! temptation rising! must kill! shouldn't kill! oh, the dilemma!~

A pause. Sigmund finds the silence in his mind somewhat eerie, to be honest. Something is obviously still there, but it seems to be doing the mental equivalent of glowering.

~actually, let us not address the issue right now! we shall bask a moment in morton's mind instead! he is a calming influence, we find!~

In the improvised workshop of Tailor Craig...

Morton... can't really say he approves of this dress. It seems to practically beg for a scandal.

"That... is quite certainly a choice of attire."

"That it certainly is," Tailor Craig says, shaking his head.

"But, if you don't mind, I would be quite fine with waiting I believe. Although it seems the need for proper attire may be unnecessary, good group Gub seems to require me to attain a different body for a task. I do so apologize for the waste of time... But perhaps I can still provide assistance. If I'm to acquire a new body promptly, I suppose there wouldn't be any harm in giving you an example of what may happen to second attempts. If something dreadful were to occur, I'd simply be moved to another body, if not, then it shall be helpful information none the less. It may perhaps be of more use to good group Gub as well. If you would allow me a moment to offer the suggestion to good group Gub, good tailor Craig?"

"I suppose I am okay with it - I certainly did not want to find out what you would look like in that dress. Perhaps the portal will work out better than before, one can never know without trying."

Morton turns to the gub once more.

~Is this perhaps agreeable to you, good group Gub? I believe it shouldn't take too long, and if this body isn't necessary I suppose I don't see any harm into the attempt, beyond a bit of time taken. I shall go into the portal, commune with the Aspect, and then return. I'm afraid where may be perhaps variable however, as the time. As for the team I would wish to join, I trust you shall find which I would be most helpful on.~

~yes, of course that would be agreeable, morton! you are agreeable! we greatly enjoy permitting you do things! and if you travel far enough away, be sure to return with a magic-user at least half as agreeable as you are!~

Well, that sounds like approval to him. Morton gives Tailor Craig the go-ahead, and soon a circle is drafted around him - the finishing touch is added, the claw is snapped and Morton sinks into the ground, plummeting into the endless abyss that serves as a wonderful contrast with the mind-shattering blast of light both familiar and strange, impressions of the vast, unending color that is the Most Fabulous of Realms permeating Morton's tiny little rat skull and tickling his brain in ways it was never meant to be tickled. He had nearly forgotten how this felt, too.

"I remember you!" a wandering splash of avocado says to Morton. "What happened to your immaculate fabulousness? It must be fixed immediately!"

Before Morton can get a single word in edgewise, the Aspect of Appeal has set upon him.

[Alteration roll: 6]

The colors in the area twist, shift, then blast inward, and Morton feels... 'interesting' would probably be the best word. It's sort of a transcendental experience, he finds. His arms turn to ochre jelly, retreating inward into his body. His fur repels from his body, combusting in scintillating rainbow flames. His legs split in two, and one pair migrates to where his arms once were. His head pops off and floats away - it's a bit odd that he can see it leave, Morton thinks. It gets even stranger when it turns around and winks at him with approval. Huh.

Suddenly, Morton is flipped around, all four of his legs stretching straight ahead. A jolt passes through his body, and he feels himself become petrified suddenly. Moreover, he senses a certain flattening of his body, though his body mass seems to wander over to the back of his body to compensate, accumulating in a boxy shape. It is at this point that Morton realizes that he seemed to be able to sense things with his entire body all at once - this sudden realization is relevant for but a few moments before his skin, quite superfluous by now, gathers in spherical shapes along one half of his body.

Before Morton is even properly cognizant of all the changes he's undergoing, it becomes fairly clear that he is regaining a shape most familiar and dear to him. But it feels different this time. Not quite as... solid, though not in an immediately physical way. He also feels remarkably light, though that may be more the weightless, fabulous realm he happens to be in. Then, just as suddenly as the process began, it ends. Oddly enough, Morton still seems to be glowing with a brownish light.

"You are fabulous once more. Now go out there and impress the woefully uninspired masses! The world will tremble before the spark of true beauty," the avocado splash tells him, and Morton is once again blasted right out of the realm, this time the sending feeling much more urgent than before. Perhaps the Aspect is excited? Flying through the darkness between worlds, he eventually appears... outside on the terrace (complete with the very same Scott, who seems to be looking rather under the weather), conveniently enough.

Through his own bodily awareness, Morton can confirm that he is a desk once more. What he can also confirm is that he seems to be floating slightly above the ground and that he seems to be filling the area with a slightly darkened, murky version of firelight, and also that he feels peculiarly warm.

In the Temple of Automaton Worship...

Darren puts on his sliest face as he tries to steer this conversation in a less creepy direction.

"Ah, yes... Sure...

"Huh. Really? On the altar while she watches?"

"Worship provides a wonderful backdrop for that sort of thing, I find."

Things are getting heated. Maybe he can try a little harder.

"We were interested in ancient artifacts. That's fun to us," Darren says, prompting a raised eyebrow from his friend.

"That certainly is a strange kink," the lady says. "Just any artifacts? I do believe I have some hidden away here someplace. You'd have to find them, though. A little activity to get the life flowing in you, you know?"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:48 pm »

FUCK YOU BRO GOD

What was the number 4 god on that list? Pray to that one, hoping for a boost as I'm clearly the ultimate survivor.

Also try to patch myself up with the closest available material that isn't my own body. My clothes if necessary.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 719