Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220785 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2012, 10:32:07 am »

Even if she's a cripple (which she probably isn't!), I think trading our Displacement Gift for our freedom is a good deal.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2012, 10:36:37 am »

Even if she's a cripple (which she probably isn't!), I think trading our Displacement Gift for our freedom is a good deal.

Exactly. As for let's wait for better mate - we don't know when we'll find a better mate that we can convert that easily
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2012, 12:16:01 pm »

First off, we have a limited number of mates; I'd rather make sire we've got a good-quality one before transforming her.

Second, what makes you think that a mate will take us closer to freedom than an elven family that's glad we didn't turn their matriarch? I'm sure that they'd be glad to help us if we asked for some other favor...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »

I'm not suggesting we get rid of her. Just take a look around the settlement first.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 25, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, we can ask her husband, something like

" Why do you think that your wife worth more than you or your gold?"

"What makes you think your wife is worth more than yourself or the gold?" You hiss.

The elf gazes at the sky briefly. "...To me she isn't. Our relationship is more or less non-existant at this point, and the kids we turned out are rancid little turds. You however can eat her, convert her, or whatever else it is you want to do with her. You also get a place that will be safe for months and a reasonable supply of food out of the bargin. And I can't imagine any shopkeep throwing open his doors to a night troll to let him spend gold anyway."

You shake your head. "Let me rephrase that worm. If I were to turn her, what would I be getting into?"

He lowers his ancient head to look into your eyes. "A good deal of spunk and style. She has been practicing oration, calligraphy, enchantment, sword play, and dark manipulation as of late. She intends to join the high queen's government or lead a bandit gang after her current marriage concludes... She also of course possesses all the animal empathy and woodsmanship skills needed to run the ranch.

Her personality isn't that bad, but its her politics that drive me crazy. I remember when all elves live like we do in Everpine today. None of those foul forest defiling races allowed. She of course can't wait to get out of this little 'backwards hick community' and return to some unholy cosmopolitan hellhole!

You know, I think killing your kind off was the biggest mistake my people ever made. With the night a bit less frightening more people could wander and pollute each other's culture. It will serve her right to help you restore your numbers! I for one pine for the days when Armshredder kept the humans and dwarves from our woods, Dreadspikes kept them from our deserts, Illdeath from our jungles, Trumpst-"

You hiss loudly as your father's name escapes the old man's lips, cutting off his rant. "Just take me to your ranch human, and I shall decide for myself if I want your gold, yourself, or your wife."

The ancient being gulps and his fear spikes a bit before he gestures for you to follow him.

The ranch is located about a 30 minute walk from town. It is a small plot with a 'barn' dug out from the ground for the horse size birds to roost in and two residential trees connected by a bridge of leather and cloth.

The elf smirks. "Okay. Here is the deal. The bag of gold is in the barn. The bag itself is protected by a powerful enchantment: Nobody can find it unless I tell them it's exact location. You have three choices.

You can strike me down here; I will take the location of my gold to my grave, and hopefully scream loud enough to wake the wife.

You could let me enter the house - the residential tree to our left. Once inside I will wake the wife and shout down the exact location of my gold.

Finally you could enter my house, at which point I would grab the gold and run while you are dealing with my wife.

There are weapons in both the house and the barn, so if you try to go back on our deal and go after me, I will put up a fight. Well Mr. Beast, what is it going to be?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2012, 07:24:16 pm »

-Freaking forums made me double post. Sorry!-
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:26:38 pm by Weirdsound »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »

I don't think we should make her a mate until we've seen her first. Our experience suggests grabbing one of the bachelorets would be more profitable anyway. Also, there is a greater potential for allies if we can make ourselves seem like a benefactor more than a monster, it's wiser long term. I also think we should get on sending that message fast.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »

Even if we don't turn her... a minion would be useful, especially a skilled one.  Take the wife and offer her a 'job' instead; kill our master (without revealing our connection to him; phrase it as a 'test of her ability') and we will take her on as our lieutenant and assist her in fulfilling her political goals.  Give her the half-lie that you want eyes and ears within the Elven community, and in return you will grant her your favour - say, violently murdering political opponents, making things go a little more smoothly for her.  Ensure she knows who is firmly in command, though.  You wouldn't be her servant - she would be yours.

Or, of course, you can kill her and hunt down all of her families.  Her choice.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 25, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »

We need to gauge her first, she may not be as cut-throat as her husband.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 25, 2012, 07:47:27 pm »

From what we just heard she sounds like she is just bored with her life and wants a life of excitement or we can also introduce her to Esmeralda. Or we can go with Iituem idea which deals with another problem in one swell swoop. But if his idea doesn't work you can entice her with a life of excitement.

edit: Mlamlah is probably a good idea before doing Iituem's idea.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:49:31 pm by jaass »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 25, 2012, 07:59:00 pm »

Guys, seriously. We have a workable plan here. Convert the wife, make her disenchant the bracelet and let the man-elf go. Let's not complicate this by letting our new minion keep her free will or having qualms about converting people. For goodness sakes, she has skill at enchantment, sword fighting, dark manipulation, animal empathy and a bunch of other useful stuff. We aren't going to find someone better!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:00:35 pm by Grek »

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 25, 2012, 08:00:42 pm »

I actually missed the update >>, sorry. Converting her seems like a solid idea.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »

What about intimidating the elf into getting us the gold first, under threat of a fate worse than death?  Then we let him go and take a look at his wife as well.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2012, 08:13:00 pm »

I am against that idea, it's... obvious. It will just goad him into uncooperativeness, with our recent streak of bad luck we don't need to cause our self more and more opportunities for inconvenience or death.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 25, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »

I agree with Grek and disagree with Remalle.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 143