Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220792 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #960 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:40 pm »

Quote from: Weirdsound link=topic=118808.msg3861839#msg3861839 [b
Your communication skill went up! I'm in a rush and will figure out what that means for your perks and skills when I get back home![/b]

And GM... let me remind that :)

I just bumped your skill and let you keep the perk. I couldn't figure out a way to convert it into a good gift.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 10, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

Gift of Diplomacy: The troll can make him/herself appear to be perfectly normal to any race if s/he so chooses and has a bonus to Communication? Something that makes that person able to interact with normal society despite being a night troll/consort.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 10, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

Soothing voice which allows the speaker to manipulate mortals through speech
Ie vampire mind control
Ninja'd!!!!!!!!1!11!11!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:04 pm »

I would not be against starting an underwater Night Troll race by converting the mermaid and impregnating her, then shipping her and the kid off to the water eventually.

I just don't know the logistics of it... Maybe a swimming pool in the tower to keep the water-borne Night Troll and consort that result from that wet until we can be sure they'll survive in the oceans?
+1

I'm afraid I don't know that prayer.
But... here is something my father taught me...

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:06 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your communication skill went up! I'm in a rush and will figure out what that means for your perks and skills when I get back home!
Yay, Amazon Brigade...

Anyways, I suggest we say something like, "I'm sorry, but I do not know the prayer. My father was not religious, so I had no way of learning any of the rituals of Nocteclaw. I would, however, very much like to learn. Could you teach me?"

"I-I'm sorry. My father viewed any god worshiped by mortals to be unworthy of his attention. I have had no exposure to Nocteclaw or her rituals. I do not know the prayer you wish to recite."

The mermaid frowns but you continue. "But surely my consort grabbing the one mermaid who would be loyal to me must be a divine sign of sorts. I will accept you as a servant so long as you teach me of Nocteclaw and her ways." 1d20 = 10 + 2(Skill) + 1(Perk) = 13

Kelpmier III nods. "It would be an honor to take on the responsibility of teaching you. It should come naturally. All night trolls, of legend, knowingly or not, are instruments of Nocteclaw's will."

You find these words a bit unsettling, but manage to smile at your new ally. It takes her a few seconds to figure out that she should return the gesture. Such an Alien being...

Deciding to set your mind at ease by issuing commands you turn to Alice. "Get on the Magic Mirror and tip off your father about the merfolk."

"They will be in mourning for four more days." Kelpmier chimes in helpfully. "They wont be able to hurt anybody until then."

Several hours later you return to check on Gwendolyn. You catch the consort finishing up work on the enchantment.

Three small wooden runed charms and one new tooth have been added to the piece.

"I made some alterations to the Aesthetics of the piece, to both to aid in the enchantment, and as a romantic gesture to commemorate your conquest of the elf I once was." Gwendolyn explains. You notice one of her front teeth missing as she speaks.

You nod at the piece, not quite sure what to make of it. "I have woven the enchantment flawlessly. All that is left for me to do is the actual ensouling of the item."

Gwendolyn then wraps the charm around her sword, and begins to recite an incantation in the True Tounge of Magic. Again you are only able to understand bits of it.

"I Gwendolyn, newly minted ... the night ... condemn this soul ... eternally as a battery ... necklace of elf bone ... my beloved ... leg and all future damage ... together in darkness... so it shall be."

The sword and the necklace both glow briefly, and Gwendolyn unentwines the item. She places the newly enchanted piece of jewelry around your neck and whispers in your ear. "You should be ready to hunt in a few days. Relax until then. The child and I both need you healthy."

You can't help but chuckle as Gwendolyn pulls you once more into her embrace. Up until this point you were not even sure consorts could show such affection or sympathy. For the first time in your life you acknowledge a downside to the behavior and lifestyle of your father.

The tender moment is ruined by Alice bursting into the room. "I passed the news along to my father. He sends his thanks, and will look into the situation. He also expressed concern over the fact I am still human..." Alice sniffles and Gwendolyn sneers. "I had to explain your gifts to him, and he thanks... you for... valuing me enough to wait on a good one."

You prevent Gwendolyn from saying something to provoke a fight by shooting the consort a quick stare.

The next turn, unless you all object strongly, will feature a time-skip until the necklace kicks in. 2-4 days. Just note some general things you want to spend that time doing, and if you want to deploy a minion to operate outside of the tower for any reason.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:35 am »

Voting that we continue working on Animal Empathy, Plant Empathy and Fire Manipulation while we rest. We should also learn some more about Nocteclaw.

On an unrelated note, the Gift we get for communication (assuming we get one?) could be telepathy. Communicate your thoughts directly into people's brains.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:34 am »

Voting that we continue working on Animal Empathy, Plant Empathy and Fire Manipulation while we rest. We should also learn some more about Nocteclaw.
Agree with all, should also learn A NAVIGATIONAL SKILL!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2012, 04:04:19 am »

Also continue to pray daily (nightly?) with the mermaid.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 11, 2012, 04:29:52 am »

I suggest we practice fire manipulation in the meantime.

After the timeskip we could do a raid on that brothel owned by the dwarf necromancer - she sounds too worse-for-wear and old to make a good consort, but if we capture her we could force her to tutor us in Necromancy. As for the gaggle of prostitutes, we could sort through them and see if any stand out as worth converting, and give the rest to Gwen.

The 'how' part of overcoming the brothel's guards - well, we have a decent sized group of allies now - Alice, Gwen, Mermaid-Chick...which reminds me, we should ask Mermaid-Chick what abilities she has. Umbramancy?
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:36 am »

But before we time-skip we should go get the lockbox.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:10 am »

But before we time-skip we should go get the lockbox.
talking about lockboxes -
we have thrown several items forward into time.
We should get our loyal vassals to retrieve them for us.
also order gwen to capture her prey. throw them into the dungeon. have them Fear us. then have Gwen eat them to nourish the child.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:47 am »

Gift proposal
Something like that -
Gift of Understanding: Night troll created instinctively knows how to communicate with opposite gender of any race. He understands their motivation, have comparison, an can extract fear without hurting them too much. Finally his conversions are mix of sufferings and pleasure

I think it may not fit the 20 roll perfectly but it compatible with our usage of communication before we got the increase

Oh, and bring communication back to +2 in the stats :)

1) Send Alice to lure the elven druid to the tower. Time to get a puppet
2) Break the lockbox, after Alice is left... no need for her to know about it
3) Use 30% of time to train fire magic (Gwen should try to learn together with us, after all we have a book and she needs combat magic)
4) Use 20% of time to get more friendly with love birds and train animal empathy in process (Of cause use Gwen's help)
5) Use 20% to time to train plant empathy (Again, Gwen may help)
6) Use 20% of time to learn religious stuff from the mermaid. Also ask about what her Goddess think about necromancy and enchantments

And we need to convert Alice sooner or later, her father clearly wants that.  Of cause we shall wait for the gift AND her agreement
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:15:24 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You instruct Gwendolyn to take some lovebirds and haul back the rest of the treasure from the chest. You tell her she can hunt for live victims once she drops the goods off at the forge.

Alice is the next to recieve instructions. You inform her that she is to hunt down the location of the old Dwarven Madam and report back so that you can plan a raid. She is also to lure the druid's wife to the tower if possible. The human nods and request permission to sleep first, as she has been up most of the night with the mermaid. You allow this, and seeing the sun come up decide to catch some 'z's yourself.

---

Time-Skip Day One:

You make sure Alice is awake and send her on her way when you wake up around noon. You then head downstairs to spend some more time with Kelpmier.

You quickly learn she has no real combat skill. She trained a bit with the trident as a child so she could serve as a sparring partner for her warrior brother, but hasn't touched a polearm in years. Kelpmier is the Chaplin and lore-keeper of the family, having devoted her life so far to the study of scripture and the writings of her ancestors.

The mermaid happily dives right into giving you a lesson in scripture, starting with Nocteclaw's orgin. Nocteclaw was once a noble god of fertility and masculinity who was smitten with an albino mortal who could never go outside for fear of sunburn. To impress and free her Nocteclaw attempted to destroy the sun. Nocteclaw partially succeeded, causing damage to the sun so that it could only shine half the time. Thus night was born.

Nocteclaw was eventually caught by Sol, the wrathful sun god, and his manhood was removed as punishment. His right stone fell to earth and became the first male night troll, His left stone fell to earth and became the first female night troll, and his rod fell to earth to become the first Glumprong tree. The once noble god became a vengeful goddess, intent on vicariously living out her lost masculinity through the actions of night trollkind and taking satisfaction in making mortals fear the night, her greatest creation.

You eventually feel like you are beginning to get the hang of scripture, so Kelpmier moves on to the basics of prayer and invocation. 1d20 = 9 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 6(Trainer's Skill) = 12

The mermaid instructs you in a few basic prayer positions and chants. You learn that in a pratical sense Nocteclaw can be invoked to find vulnerable victims in the dark, or to find the nearest Glumprong tree and the unholy soil that comes with it. Nocteclaw's night troll followers can also call upon her for a brief second wind, should they become heavily injured in combat. Kelpmier recommends not trying to invoke the goddess until you are properly trained in the art.

You allow your instructor out of the cell to fetch some water at a nearby brook, and spend some time praticing prayer alone. Abruptly all goes black and you find yourself standing before a massive bearded woman glowing with a black aura.

"My last male child" She speaks softly. "I am beaten, damaged, worthless. Centuries with only merfolk and the odd goblin worshiping me. You will learn my ways and re-invigorate me. That will take time. I will leave you with encouragement to lift your spirits until we know each other better. A truly mighty gift. Use it with haste in case you should fall." 1d20 = 19 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 6(Teachers Skill) = 23

Kelpmier finds you unconscious on the floor, and after regaining awareness of your surroundings the rest of the day is spent in practice.

Gwendolyn Returns with all the loot from the chest, and deposits it in the forge. She then leaves to go hunt. 1d20 = 9 + 3(Minion is well suited for the task) + 3(Pack Animal Used) = 15

---

Time-Skip Day 2:

You start the morning by trying to pick the lock on the lockbox. You know nothing about lockpicking however and you quickly give up. You then resort to bashing the box with your artifact spear, but you succeed in only damaging the lock, likely making it harder to open in the future. 1d20 = 6 - 3(Untrained Skill) = 3

The rest of the day is spent in the forge, practicing fire magic in the all but fireproof room. Your amused ghostly smith watches on as you create flames from midair and manipulate those from his forge. Soon, sooner than you reckoned even, the magic becomes natural to you. You learn the skill, and your novice level perks are converted to gifts. 1d20 = 20 (NICE!)

Gwendolyn returns again, this time empty handed. She explains she had a run-in with the champion of the human town, and was just barely able to escape unharmed. 1d20 = 3 + 1(Minion is Somewhat Suited for the task) = 4

---

Time-Skip Day 3:

The lovebirds already respect you thanks to your wildly successful interaction with them in the barn, but you decide to visit them with Gwendolyn anyway, with the goal of improving your ability to converse with animals.

The pair of you attempt to teach them to sing a haunting tune in unison, but sadly the birds are just too busy gossiping and flirting with each other to pay much attention to the pair of you. 1d20 = 5 + 3(Trainer's Skill) = 7

You head down and out the front door to pratice plant empathy on the grass. You have a bit of success in that you get the grass to change shape a bit, but you fail utterly in coaxing it into spelling out Gwendolyn's name when read from above. You are too annoyed by the failure of your romantic gesture to learn anything from the attempt. 1d20 = 9 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 2(Gwendolyn's Skill) = 8

Alice returns with more bad news. It would seem that the Dwarven Madam has figured out that she had attempted to abduct the daughter of Foghorn the Vile, and had talked her husband into taking their business somewhere else this year. Furthermore Alice explains that she managed to patch things up with the Druid's wife, and no longer wishes to hand her over to you. 1d20 = 2 + 1(Minion is somewhat suited for the task) = 3

Night falls and you stand at the roof of your tower pondering your next action and enjoying the fact that your body is now fully functional again. You have a pregnant wife to attend to and several new gifts to share. Perhaps it is time to hunt...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:40:31 pm by Weirdsound »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

Dang. I'm not sure if we want to turn the mermaid into a fully female night troll, to start up the underwater race properly, or change Alice into one, since it's basically the best practical gift we have....
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 11, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »

Dang. I'm not sure if we want to turn the mermaid into a fully female night troll, to start up the underwater race properly, or change Alice into one, since it's basically the best practical gift we have....
Mermaid deserves it more. Also, we don't really want to convert Alice against her will, she'd resent us for it.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 143