Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221271 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1140 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:12 am »

Isn't she sweet? I love Alice... Well I love the whole story and all NPCes but Alice is my favorite . Sad that we learn nothing about her desire (or lack off) to have children

Conversion before the battle is a bad idea, way to risky and exhausting for both parties

I support making traps, both magical and mundane. I think we should consider delayed firespells

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 13, 2012, 05:35:05 am »

Isn't she sweet? I love Alice... Well I love the whole story and all NPCes but Alice is my favorite . Sad that we learn nothing about her desire (or lack off) to have children

Conversion before the battle is a bad idea, way to risky and exhausting for both parties

I support making traps, both magical and mundane. I think we should consider delayed firespells
Agreed, great job by the Dm on the story thus far ^^

Likewise agreed that a time-limited conversion wouldn't be wise - that idea of eon-manipulated fire manipulation as traps is brilliant btw. We should try that...

Oh, and this is nagging at me - if we have this much time, couldn't we just gain enough ground on the posse to get away?
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:49 am »

Problem is that we are followed by elven rangers... in their forest.
It's hard to outpace them

Even if they don't catch up, they'll follow the track, reach the tower, note it and return later with larger force
And we have no time to hide our tracks
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 13, 2012, 05:58:33 am »

Ah, good point. Alrighty then, I think in addition to trapping the place, we should attempt to barricade/block one or more of the entrances. Their advantage is superior numbers, if we can funnel them in one or two entrances we should be able to slaughter them.

If there isn't ample material available for the barricades, we could try lighting a bonfire with hay at the spot we wish to block off, then slow it down as much as possible with Eon Manipulation to make it last.

Additionally, our captive IS a rogue, so we should make sure she is verrrry securely bound so she doesn't escape during the fight.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 13, 2012, 06:28:19 am »

Left Stone Gift is not useful for combat. We need a combat-useful gift. Even if we decide Alice deserves to be the first female Night Troll, now is not the time to use the Left Stone.

while converting now is a bad idea... the Left Stone is most likely will boost combat abilities of many females. It gives traits on based some unknown properties of female. Probably it includes skills

The night troll created may have more then one traits, I think something like 3 to 5.
It's a strong immediately ally and if supplied by nice skills  may be stronger then we currently are.
_____________________________-

I should explain my view on the left stone gift, once again, when I am in a better mood (I was pissed me all that real world ethics discussion into a game and got a little inadequate, sorry. Strategy discussions are good, but I dislike when RPGs played like pure strategy)

I am putting all role-play and my hopes for story development aside and will talk  about it like it a strategy game. Strategy that based on quality not quantity

1) I prefer to not base our survival on numbers. Numbers are good, but that didn't help night trolls before, we know that
2) another way is to become a powerful wizard with some nice allies who is capable to defend his small, but advanced and united family-race.   (loyal consorts, few children that get proper education from the patriarch(us), allies from other races. I think only elves are our true enemies, any other race may become an ally. That's what our diplomacy skill for)
3) It would be great to learn to extract fear and feed without the need to kill\draw insane and making enemies
It might be possible with a small group, but it will not if we create a huge subrace, especially if it will follow Nocteclaw zealously
(BTW Gift of Amnesia gives a fun way to feed - scare, erase memory, scare, erase memory, scary, erase memory. We get alive, sane pray and well fed troll)
4) The faster we multiply, the faster we'll get attention, the more night trolls exist, the more food we need
5) I'd like to have full control over every birth\conversion as we have now. It's like vampiric laws in many settings - create vampire without a permission of council\Prince and you'll get killed. Sentient predators MUST limit their own numbers. That's why I prefer to not spent the left stone gift at all to  giving it to any female (especially not loyal enough) and sending her away.  I'd rather see female night troll as picky in making babies as we are. And Alice (yep, I bring that, again)  is  ideal in that role, because she'll not lie under every male she meet. If she choose to have a  baby it will be a well thought decision. Even if she'll have no babies at all, that's not a tragedy for our race, we are still making sons
6) For me, the left stone gift is not a way to get a baby making machine , but a way to get a strong ally with several good traits, now.  Infants are more liability than asset in our situation

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:50:20 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 13, 2012, 08:58:51 am »

while discussing alice's conversion sounds a fair bit more sensible now, i still think it would be more interesting storywise to have her remain human and eventually reunite her with the tigress of her heart, even if it meant her leaving our party. i also still  thing that lefstoning the mermaid would be a better idea than to leftstone alice, though

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 13, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

Left Stone Gift is not useful for combat. We need a combat-useful gift. Even if we decide Alice deserves to be the first female Night Troll, now is not the time to use the Left Stone.

while converting now is a bad idea... the Left Stone is most likely will boost combat abilities of many females. It gives traits on based some unknown properties of female. Probably it includes skills

The night troll created may have more then one traits, I think something like 3 to 5.
It's a strong immediately ally and if supplied by nice skills  may be stronger then we currently are.
_____________________________-

I should explain my view on the left stone gift, once again, when I am in a better mood (I was pissed me all that real world ethics discussion into a game and got a little inadequate, sorry. Strategy discussions are good, but I dislike when RPGs played like pure strategy)

I am putting all role-play and my hopes for story development aside and will talk  about it like it a strategy game. Strategy that based on quality not quantity

1) I prefer to not base our survival on numbers. Numbers are good, but that didn't help night trolls before, we know that
2) another way is to become a powerful wizard with some nice allies who is capable to defend his small, but advanced and united family-race.   (loyal consorts, few children that get proper education from the patriarch(us), allies from other races. I think only elves are our true enemies, any other race may become an ally. That's what our diplomacy skill for)
3) It would be great to learn to extract fear and feed without the need to kill\draw insane and making enemies
It might be possible with a small group, but it will not if we create a huge subrace, especially if it will follow Nocteclaw zealously
(BTW Gift of Amnesia gives a fun way to feed - scare, erase memory, scare, erase memory, scary, erase memory. We get alive, sane pray and well fed troll)
4) The faster we multiply, the faster we'll get attention, the more night trolls exist, the more food we need
5) I'd like to have full control over every birth\conversion as we have now. It's like vampiric laws in many settings - create vampire without a permission of council\Prince and you'll get killed. Sentient predators MUST limit their own numbers. That's why I prefer to not spent the left stone gift at all to  giving it to any female (especially not loyal enough) and sending her away.  I'd rather see female night troll as picky in making babies as we are. And Alice (yep, I bring that, again)  is  ideal in that role, because she'll not lie under every male she meet. If she choose to have a  baby it will be a well thought decision. Even if she'll have no babies at all, that's not a tragedy for our race, we are still making sons
6) For me, the left stone gift is not a way to get a baby making machine , but a way to get a strong ally with several good traits, now.  Infants are more liability than asset in our situation

You have my support U R.
Only i don't think we should convert Alice now. She doesn't fear us, so it will probably take quite long.
We should find a secure place with enough food first.

How far away is our Tower again?
also using eon manipulation to hasten ourselves might be useful. (Create a bubble of accelerated time around us. 20-30% should still have us get enough sunlight not to die of frost.)
We need to escape our predators. 20 Elves would probably be able to overpower our group during the day.
If there are any birds left strew their bones around to make our pursuers believe that we just stopped to feed.
Why would we lead them to our base in the first place?
Hiding in a certain enchanter's cellar might be useful. that way we lead a group of traditional elves into a village. If we are lucky there will be war.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 13, 2012, 05:49:05 pm »

Phoenix sounds fine, except that flaming wings would ruin woodcraft.
Maybe Inferno's Embrace? Geez, we really do have crappy gifts for Alice. We ought to take 20 on Plant Empathy or something...
Yeah, I mean it doesn't go very well, but it would help us against Elves, and would let her fly.
I mean, we could gifts that would better suit her, but she's human, and less likely to object burning trees down than those Elves.
Still doesn't cover practical issues, like burning a forest she's sneaking through. Plant empathy other than intimidation would be impossible too.
"Hello there, Old Mr. Oak. Could you please--" "OH GODS YOUR WINGS ARE BURNING MY BRANCHES STOPIT STOPIT PLEEEEEEASE!!!" Etc.
I'd rather save it for someone whose main strengths aren't nature-related. Or at least not so useful in a forest. Or at least until we aren't in a highly flammable area.

Divide and conquer.  Let's trap the invaders somehow (in the barn, in the trees, in a ring of fire, it doesn't matter), make sure they can't escape quickly, and use our dark manipulation, face, and other tricks to terrify and drive them into attacking each other.
Daytime is coming, our dark manipulation won't be useful.
It'll probably be darker inside, but let's not base a dawntime plan on darkness.

Biggest benefit is the female night troll bit. If Alice isn't willing to have plenty of kids, we shouldn't give it to her.

Quantity has a quality all its own.
Play a strategy game and send a single tank against a nation full of swordsmen. It'll take out a ton, but the tank will eventually fall. Probably. Depends on how the game is programmed. Point is, numbers do matter.

Neither did their power...just sayin'.

Potentially, but it'd be an uphill battle. We're still night trolls.

'Twould be nice. Maybe we could become therapists. "Don't worry, it's okay. Just let me draw away your fear..."
Assuming it's possible.

If it's possible to get fear without eating physical flesh, yes.

Think of it, again, like a strategy game. Say Civilization.
Civs which expand have issues like corruption to deal with, and have bigger borders, and are less-liked by NPCs. A balance is indeed needed.
Getting attention is good if we can conceal our hideouts. Adding a new night troll isn't going to impair our ability to do so. Worst comes to worst, split our night family down the middle and one of us gets to find a new lair.
Also bear in mind that we're supposed to repopulate our race.

Discuss this with our son and whoever we give the Left Stone to, and what we'll do when we die, but good idea. Although the idea that a night troll without babies isn't a tragedy...it is. That's an almost completely wasted gift. The biggest point of that gift was that there would be more fruitful and abundant night troops, and female night trolls. If whoever we give it to doesn't even have one kid, it's wasted...

Disagree. Short-term, but thinking strictly short-term is dumb. Infants are going to be a boon to our race sooner than you think, especially if child growth follows the same rules postnatal as pre.

while discussing alice's conversion sounds a fair bit more sensible now, i still think it would be more interesting storywise to have her remain human and eventually reunite her with the tigress of her heart, even if it meant her leaving our party. i also still  thing that lefstoning the mermaid would be a better idea than to leftstone alice, though
Sensible overall.

And finally, a suggestion for the left stone: Once we're safe, pray for guidance. It was given by Nocteclaw (right?), s/he should be able to offer advice on how to use it. If nothing else, it gives us more brownie points with the deity of choice for the only race who won't hate us on sight.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking that Alice is least-Elf-y out of the consorts or potentials we have here.  But she is a ranger, so I guess it might be a better idea to hold off.  I just think it's one of the best gifts we have right now.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 13, 2012, 06:24:26 pm »

Biggest benefit is the female night troll bit. If Alice isn't willing to have plenty of kids, we shouldn't give it to her.
Why are you so sure that we need plenty of kids?  There are other ways to ensure our survival without behaving like rabbits

And let's assume that Alice isn't a lesbian, that she is ready to fuck constantly, do we really need constantly pregnant and hungry night troll? Do we need dozens of hungry kids? Prey is not unlimited, and infants\kids\constantly pregnant females add nothing to our ability to get more prey. Even more, they need constant protection and thus reducing our hunting abilities

The biggest point of that gift was that there would be more fruitful and abundant night troops,
That' what Nocteclaw wants, sure.  I just don't think that we need to be her slave.

Said who? We are free to do whatever we want.
We are playing a character, not a night troll race
We aren't playing forces of evil vs forces of good, either

Although the idea that a night troll without babies isn't a tragedy...it is. That's an almost completely wasted gift. 
Powerful, loyal, immortal ally that will become a better and better isn't a wasted gift at all. Besides I am sure that we can talk her into making at least one baby, and then her daughter may be the basis of creating all other female night trolls if you need a rabbit night troll

And don't you think that may be in our interest to make future trolls (or majority of them) same as us and not create a potential  gender vs gender war situation?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: December 13, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »

Why are you so sure that we need plenty of kids?  There are other ways to ensure our survival without behaving like rabbits
Efficiency. It's the only Left Stone gift we're ever getting.
Besides, breeding like rabbits won't hurt.

And let's assume that Alice isn't a lesbian, that she is ready to fuck constantly, do we really need constantly pregnant and hungry night troll? Do we need dozens of hungry kids? Prey is not unlimited, and infants\kids\constantly pregnant females add nothing to our ability to get more prey. Even more, they need constant protection and thus reducing our hunting abilities
Can we have "dozens" of kids?
Is Alice stupid enough to have more kids than we can support?
Are you aware of the possibilities of not going to either extreme? Not only a few kids, not a new baby every week. Let's say about as many kids as we intend to have, over the course of our respective lifetimes.

The biggest point of that gift was that there would be more fruitful and abundant night troops,
That' what Nocteclaw wants, sure.  I just don't think that we need to be her slave.
Not slave, just not antagonising her. Besides, s/he does kinda have a right to us, and as a god/dess has the ability to royally screw us over if we anger her.

Said who? We are free to do whatever we want.
We are playing a character, not a night troll race
We aren't playing forces of evil vs forces of good, either
Last wish of our father. Also a consideration most of us have.

Although the idea that a night troll without babies isn't a tragedy...it is. That's an almost completely wasted gift. 
Powerful, loyal, immortal ally that will become a better and better isn't a wasted gift at all. Besides I am sure that we can talk her into making at least one baby, and then her daughter may be the basis of creating all other female night trolls if you need a rabbit night troll
Almost. Sure, one ally is nice, but a family of equally powerful allies is better. Much better. Also loads better for our race.

And don't you think that may be in our interest to make future trolls (or majority of them) same as us and not create a potential  gender vs gender war situation?
No. I fail to see your point. There can be conflicts within a gender, too, and with family members it can be worse between brothers. I'm willing to bet that I would get along a lot better with a little sister than with my little brother.
Anyways, the only way you'll prevent conflict between night trolls is killing Gwen and never converting another spouse.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:39 pm »

Female and male trolls are
1) Different
2) Have no need in each other too reproduce
3) Compete for same resources

Don't you see a huge potential for conflicts? Especially if we go underwater troll route. Female night trolls and male night trolls are very very close to being different races
I am not sure that they can mate with each other. And even if they can... humans and elves can mate, too. That doesn't make them one race

Let's say about as many kids as we intend to have, over the course of our respective lifetimes.
Our lifetimes are looong. Why can't you let daughter(s) of Alice to reproduce if you really want competitors to our sons? Besides what is bad in having only male trolls, again?

It's not like we loved him much... And I suspect that he disliked female night trolls, that fits his character. And he was an atheist
Besides there are another way to recreate night troll race. Make a nation, not solitary families scattered around the world like it was before.

Not slave, just not antagonising her. Besides, s/he does kinda have a right to us, and as a god/dess has the ability to royally screw us over if we anger her.
Doing anything to not anger = slave
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:17:18 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: December 13, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »

Ukrainian Ranger: This is another issue where nobody agrees with you. People want to repopulate our race, worship Nocteclaw and eat people. You, for reasons unknown to me, do not. Why?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: December 13, 2012, 07:23:22 pm »

Female and male trolls are
1) Different
2) Have no need in each other too reproduce
3) Compete for same resources

Don't you see a huge potential for conflicts? Especially if we go underwater troll route. Female night trolls and male night trolls are very very close to being different races
I am not sure that they can mate with each other. And even if they can... humans and elves can mate, too. That doesn't make them one race
Pretty much all of that is true for humans, too, and you don't need millions of people to reproduce. We work together anyway. Besides, if we are even halfway decent at choosing a recipient for the gift, we'll choose someone that works well with us.

Let's say about as many kids as we intend to have, over the course of our respective lifetimes.
Our lifetimes are looong. Why can't you let daughter(s) of Alice to reproduce if you really want competitors to our sons? Besides what is bad in having only male trolls, again?
1. Not competitors, associates. And why not both?
2. Nocteclaw gave us a gift to make female night trolls, she likely wants us to make female night trolls. Let's not anger him/her.

It's not like we loved him much... And I suspect that he disliked female night trolls, that fits his character
Besides there are another way to recreate night troll race. Make a nation, not solitary families scattered around the world like it was before.
So? He sent us forward in time.
That's my intention, and it works better with more night trolls.

Doing anything to not anger = slave
Not "doing anything not to anger her." Besides, it's always good to get on gods' good sides. Gods help their servants.
Sig

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:37 pm »

Keep it civil guys. If I update tonight, it will be right before I go to sleep. I have two Pokemon Tabletop Games to prep for. You can expect this to slow down on weekends a bit from now on.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 143