Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69958 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 11 - The Trial
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2013, 07:57:52 am »

Calming herself with deep breaths, Sejena kept glancing around her for any sights of the strange man. Why had he been so frightened? Had he seen the true power of the Goddess? Regardless, she needed to get to safety - if Satjap could be trusted on that - and fast, to regain her strength. There was no way she'd find this Naphezim on her own - she'd have to ask people.

Ask people (in the marketplace, for example) for directions to Naphezim's place as politely as I can. Keep an eye out for the heathen man.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 12 - The Second Part Is Especially Important
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »

Turn 12 - The Second Part Is Especially Important

Standing in the temple, Gronok has a good idea - he'll verify the truth of the claims of all 10 priests in one fell swoop by asking his god for help! He concentrates briefly and says a prayer to his Lord, then concentrates on what the first priest said - about the praying every day.

Truth.

He then thinks of the conversions and all the stories of hedonism.

Slight exaggeration.

Gronok listens to the third priest. He begins by telling of all the material possessions he and his family once owned and how he rid himself of them to hand it all to the poorer faithful of Kezilam, helping them survive and spread the good word of purity and saving them from what would probably have been a life of crime.

By the 'poorer faithful' he means 'three people'. All of which were distantly related to him. Two of them later landed among the converts of the previous guy.

The fourth priest, a man with very long hair and a woefully overgrown beard, explains how he hasn't even left his humble cell for the entire year or spoken to anyone.

Truth. Very, very, very boring truth.

The fifth priest, quite similar to the previous one, very unsubtly points out that he has done one better than the previous priest, as he has kept a blindfold on and plugged his ears during the year he spent in his cell.

Complete truth. Insipid, but truthful.

The sixth priest speaks next, detailing the long self-torture sessions he has spent in his own dungeon to forcefully exorcise any mortal faults.

He mostly poked himself with needles. Nothing too bone-breaking or, indeed, even all that painful. He did yell up a storm down there, however.

The seventh priest merely takes off his robe and stands on the altar, showcasing a body covered in whip marks and various burns. Then he screams "THIS IS TRUE PURITY! GLORY TO KEZILAM!" repeatedly until the judge calms him down and sends him back to his place.

Too insane to lie. Even so, he definitely did it all by himself and without prodding by anyone else.

The eighth priest, obviously rather disturbed by the previous priest's demonstration, says that he merely tried to run his temples as efficiently as possible in order to keep the populace loyal and in awe of Kezilam.

True, but he also pocketed quite a bit of the temples' assets and used them in order to exert greater economic control of the city he's based in.

The ninth priest says he didn't do anything extraordinary, but remained completely loyal to Kezilam and tried his best to follow her principles and inform as many people as possible of her good works in order to keep the flock as calm, pure and worthy of heaven as anywhere in the land. He looks quite worried, and the coordinator definitely sees this.

Not a single word of what he said is true. He and his city have rather extensive ties to the cult of Zishal Tinn, the God of Trade, Agriculture and Civilized Merriment, frequently associated with pragmatic and relativistic worldviews, and the poor head priest vainly hopes that most of the room doesn't know this.

The tenth priest launches into a long, flowery speech on the virtues of Kezilam - what they are, their history and their relevance in this time. He then explains why Kezilam is such an important influence on this land and how exactly one would serve her best. After that, he delivers a lecture on how his city always gathers to hear his voice every Wednesday outside of his palace and how he enthralls them with his voice, makes them listen and understand the words of Kezilam. The lecture, all in all, takes about twenty minutes, though the faithful certainly seem to be enjoying it. Not the coordinator, though. The coordinator looks quite frustrated. The priest bows at the end of his lecture and straightens out nobly.

Every bit of what he said is true (from a certain point of view). Too bad he said nothing of serving Kezilam. Because he really doesn't. He's installed himself as a messiah to the people, and they all worship him. Nice speech, though.

The coordinator looks at the tenth priest sternly, then at the ninth priest and finally at the eighth. That corner definitely is trouble.

3 MP expended!

Phiali, feeling an odd need to stay awake he believes might not entirely originate within himself, decides to figure out some kind of ritual to pass the time until nightfall.

[Intelligence roll: ?]

After briefly pondering his previous prayers and why they didn't seem to be all that effective, he realizes that he has very little clue. So he goes for a swim in the river instead. The water's rather good, he finds. After spending quite a bit of time in the water, he gets out feeling refreshed. Well, that felt pretty good and fulfilling, considering what he's been through today. He gives a quick prayer to his god and goes to sleep.

[Dream roll: 1-->4]

His only dreams that night involve getting repeatedly stabbed by guardsmen. While definitely not pleasant, they do illustrate the point that he probably needs a better plan than "try that thing you did yesterday again". He awakes with twin purposes the next morning - defeat the Kezilamites somehow, and do not get stabbed in the process.

1 MP gained from refreshing swim and prayer!

Sitting up in her bed of straw, Shashari wastes no time and gets right to the questioning. There is only so much daylight and by the Serpent, she will use it. After all, time is the easiest and most valuable thing to waste of all.

"Funny you should mention that. I had the strangest dream... it involved witches and some sort of trial, but I'm not really sure what it means...

Speaking of which, what do you know about the witches that live in these woods?"

[Siren knowledge roll: 2]

"Oh, they are a very secretive lot. I hear they're around, but I haven't seen them lately."

"Have you seen them at all?"

"Well... no. Not a single time. But I bet they're around."

"How so?"

"I've seen shapes prowling around on four legs in the night. They howl at the moon and travel in packs. A coven of witches, obviously."

"Or wolves."

"You make the distinction. I do not. They eat sheep either way, so I fail to see the difference. I've also seen toothy creatures fly around at night on leathery wings and screeching hellishly. Those are definitely witches."

"Or bats."

"It's all the same to me. Also, occasionally I find very odd-looking rocks in the woods. They are probably what witches turn to in daylight. Why else would they be so odd?"

"Hm, perhaps there is truth in your words. This may deserve further consideration."

Sejena, upon catching her breath and calming down, decides to look for someone helpful in the marketplace.

[Search roll: 2]

She wanders all around and attempts to get the attention of somebody passing by or in one of the market stalls, but the hour of the day makes this impossible, as everybody is far too busy with their own things to pay any mind to a woman asking them for directions. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with people recognizing her or anything, just a severe lack of time on their part.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 11 - The Trial
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »

Sejena sighed. At least before she'd had no trouble getting people's attention. Goddess, these people were rude. A part of her wanted her to shout and make her displeasure clearly felt, but she was tired, too tired. She would have a clearer mind and clearer eyes after a good rest at this hopefully safe place.

Rinse and repeat. Ask anyone who answers me what they know of Naphezim.

((Sorry for repeating an action, but I want to get to possible safetyyyyyy. In other news, we should probably try to work together at some point. Even though our ideas of the true god(dess) aren't necessarily anything alike.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:46 am »

Shashari rubbed her chin, considering Siren's... opinion of witches. She suspected bats and wolves- or batwitches and witchwolves- wouldn't be very open to following the glory of Ash'Mah. Rockwitches maybe, but she wasn't terribly confident of Siren's knowledge of geology either.

"Well... if what you say is true, then these rocks sound like the place to start, don't you think? Let's go see if we can find some."

Search for and examine the strange stones Siren spoke of.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2013, 08:32:17 am »

I actually do have a plan, but your comment makes it seem kinda...dumb.

Go back to the temple. If they try to stab me, ask how well that worked yesterday. If they stab me anyways, don't retaliate--just remove weapon(s) from wound(s), heal, and leave, like yesterday.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2013, 11:20:47 am »

Gronok abruptly walks into the circle of priests.
"Now, I can forgive exaggerations, second priest, and maybe even what you did, third priest, but you last three just violated something , you can be sure of that. And I'll not stand for it!
Point to the eighth priest.
"I accuse you, sir, of willingly using the profits gathered to you by your temples to take control of that city, thereby gaining further profit from it, something I'm pretty sure your god forbids!
Point to the ninth priest.
"You I accuse of knowingly having ties to another god, Zashal Tinn, the god of Trade, Agriculture, and Civilized Merriment, which I'm sure none of you Kelamazites are allowed to do! Now both gods hate you for worshiping another
Point to the tenth priest.
"And you have sinned worst of all! You I accuse of setting yourself as a false idol, and deposing your god in favor of having the populace worship YOU!
You three have betrayed your god, and I sentence you to the mercy of your fellow Kelamazites. I hope all that sinning was good to you, because they sure won't be.
Oh, and the third priest only gave all his wealth to his brother's uncle's niece's cousin's aunt's son's twin grandsons."

"I have revealed the truth to others, just as you commanded me to, Mo'kar. Are you pleased with me?"

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 13 - Pre-Speech Twinkle
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »

Turn 13 - Pre-Speech Twinkle

Sejena, not really the type of person who takes rejection lying down, decides to be more assertive in her quest for the elusive Naphezim of Vipuka.

[Search roll: 6-->4]

She grabs a slightly less busy-looking person by the shoulder and pulls him aside.

"What? What are you doing, woman! You should know better than to-"

"Where can I find Naphezim of Vipuka?"

He slightly shrinks at her tone of voice.

"Uh, south side of the city, in Cutthroat Alley, I believe."

"Thank you. Goodbye."

"Um, glad to help?"

"I know you are."

If only everyone was this cooperative.

Though skepticism is beginning to take root in her brain, Shashari supposes she could go and take a look at the supposed rockwitches of the area.

"Well... if what you say is true, then these rocks sound like the place to start, don't you think? Let's go see if we can find some."

[Siren helpfulness roll: 6-->4]

"Very well. You must be quite brave to be willing to go and meet a witch, even a stone one. It took me several attempts to obtain the courage to do the same thing."

"Uh, thank you, I suppose."

The Siren kindly leads Shashari to the last known location of one of the rock witches. And, right as rain, the rock is still there. It's definitely an oddly-shaped thing. It seems to have a branched structure, with three column-like branches protruding from the ground and joining together at about eye level. The top of the rock seems oddly... spherical.

"See? Something like this could not have formed naturally! It can only be a witch!"

[Examination roll: ?]

It's definitely a very odd-looking thing, and Shashari can spot one bit that looks kind of like an eye on the spherical bit. The Siren is right, this is most definitely not natural. It couldn't be. Something's afoot, and it's probably not good.

Phiali, while trying to think of a plan, realizes that, distasteful to him though it may be, getting stabbed may be an unavoidable possibility. Indeed, it may actually be beneficial to him, paradoxical though it may be. He goes back to the temple. Once again, there are six guards, though only three seem to have metal swords. The rest have blunt wooden practice swords with the word "SHAME" written on them in large, suitably shameful letters.

Phiali approaches and waves to the guards.

[Guard reaction roll: 1-->1]

He gets a brief moment of deja vu as the guards shout out their catchphrase and charge.

[Charisma roll: 1+1-->3]

"Oh, go right ahead. Not like you can do anything."

The guards close the distance to him in short order and commence the stabbing. And clonking, as the case may be.

[Guard 1 vs. Phiali: 2 vs. 1+1]
[Guard 2 vs. Phiali: 5-1 vs. 5+1]
[Guard 3 vs. Phiali: 3 vs. 4+1]
[Guard 4 vs. Phiali: 1-1 vs. 3+1]
[Guard 5 vs. Phiali: 4-1 vs. 3+1]
[Guard 6 vs. Phiali: 5 vs. 3+1]

As the first guard charges right past him, Phiali ducks resignedly after a second guard's wooden sword as it sweeps close to his head. He rolls past a hardly competent stab by one of the other guards. The fourth guard seems to be attempting to hit him as well. Phiali responds by taking the shame-sword away from him and tossing it into some nearby bushes. The guard sighs and jogs over to look for it. The fifth guard then narrowly misses him with a shame-sword of his own. Phiali yawns. However, this allows the sixth guard to slip past his defenses and give him... a scratch on the shoulder. Brilliant maneuvering, chosen of Kezilam.

"Really, guys? Is that the best you've got?"

[Guard morale roll: 5]

They merely say their usual phrase as one and keep trying to stab him.

Verifying the claims of the priests gives Gronok an interesting perspective on the situation. He strides out of the mass of worshippers and goes straight to the semicircle of head priests of Kezilam and tries to interrupt the ceremony in a move that he believes is very wise. Admirable, even.

[Charisma roll: 4+1]

"Now that we have heard the words of our spiritual leaders, we shall delibe-"

"A-HEM! I believe that many things have been left unsaid! Important things!"

"Who dares interrupt the Trial of-"

Gronok pays the coordinator no mind and starts pointing fingers and tattling on the less-than-honest priests.

"Now, I can forgive exaggerations, second priest, and maybe even what you did, third priest, but you last three just violated something, you can be sure of that. And I'll not stand for it!"

The three last priests all seem surprised. This must be quite unusual for them. Gronok points to the eighth priest!

"I accuse you, sir, of willingly using the profits gathered to you by your temples to take control of that city, thereby gaining further profit from it, something I'm pretty sure your god forbids!"

[Priest 8 excuse roll: 5]

"Not quite. You see, I obtained all the money and property to keep it out of the hands of the impure who may misuse it. And Kezilam has nothing against property in general. It is merely the more radical of us that feel property of any kind to be a corrupting influence. It is not backed up by any holy texts or the decrees of the Councils. And believe me, I would know."

The coordinator nods affirmatively.

"He speaks the truth."

Yes, what he said.

Gronok stares blankly at the eighth priest for a few seconds, then moves on to the ninth.

"Okay then, you I accuse of knowingly having ties to another god, Zashal Tinn, the god of Trade, Agriculture, and Civilized Merriment, which I'm sure none of you Kelamazites are allowed to do! Now both gods hate you for worshiping another!"

[Priest 9 excuse roll: 4]

The priest looks wide-eyed at Gronok for a moment, but seems to rebound immediately.

"Don't be silly. There are no gods except for Kezilam, obviously. I don't have to tell anyone this, do I? I was merely humoring the ignorance of the foolish masses in order to not drive them away. It was all done in the name of the greater good, you see."

"Though compromises are a slippery slope, I trust in your motives. However, be more truthful next time."

"I will, Judge. I merely thought you would question my loyalty if I revealed this information."

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Well, nothing to lose by going all out, is there? He points at the smug-looking tenth priest, unquestionably the worst of the lot!

"And you have sinned worst of all! You I accuse of setting yourself as a false idol, and deposing your god in favor of having the populace worship YOU!"

[Priest 10 excuse roll: 4+1]

"You dare accuse me of anything, especially something that ridiculous? It is already clear that you come bearing nothing but lies. This is a house of Kezilam, and I will not bow before some fool that seeks to corrupt it with loud words of no substance, a bringer of impurity and muddler of minds. I will not even dignify your accusations with a response, for you clearly deserve no better. Leave in shame, corruptor, and mind your mouth before you speak again."

"Well said, head priest. Suffering fools gladly is not what this house of Kezilam is about, truly."

Tough crowd. Maybe the last one'll stick?

"Uh, the third priest only gave all his wealth to his brother's uncle's niece's cousin's aunt's son's twin grandsons."

[Priest 3 excuse roll: 1-->3]

"Triplets, you idiot! They were triplets! That changes everything!"

"What was that, head priest?"

"What? I didn't say anything!"

"I hear everything, dear priest, absolutely everything that is said in this room. It is my duty, after all. Now, did you or did you not split your entire fortune gathered before your appointment between three members of your family and then lie about it?"

"Uh... maybe?"

"It is settled, then. You lied in the Trial of Amaliz Teze, therefore you are impure and are judged as such. As Amaliz Teze judged the impure, so too are you judged by your peers. Do you accept it or refuse?"

"I refuse the judgment! My family members were quite poor, I'll have you know! Those three especially! They were criminals already!"

"Very well, then. Run for your life, impure one."

[Priest 3 escape roll: 3]

The priest looks distraught and confused for a moment, then switches over to full-on-horror and begins to run away. The judge stares at him as he makes his way down the aisle and to the exit. When he is halfway there, the judge speaks once more.

"From this moment on, he shall be known as the Impure One. Your duty as the faithful is to capture him and exorcise his impurity through fire. Should he return alive in ten years, he will be considered vindicated. So it shall be."

The crowd begins to trail after the third priest as the latter makes his escape.

"I have revealed the truth to others, just as you commanded me to, Mo'kar. Are you pleased with me?"

Difficult to say, really. He revealed the truth, but found mostly unwilling ears. Maybe this proselytizing thing is more difficult than he may have imagined.

[Priest perception roll: ?]

The tenth priest glances at Gronok. As Gronok meets his gaze, he notices a grin forming on the priest's face. Not only that, there seems to be something else forming in his eyes. Gronok could recognize it anywhere. It's the pre-speech twinkle.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2013, 04:20:53 pm »

FUUUUUUU-

Elizas engaged in the pleasures of women and alcohol, taking the opportunity to also try to convert even more followers.

He also asks if Gezerim knows anything of Patalim and his trial. 
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:21 pm »

((How many MP would it cost to force the tenth priest to reveal the truth?))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »

Shake head, leave. If I get stabbed, pause and heal my wound before I leave.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »

Wait. A brother's uncle's niece's cousin's aunt's son's twin grandsons? That's a cousin's grandsons...or a sibling's grandsons...or maybe his own grandsons...
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:32 am »

Can you guess what time it is? It's time to expand the abilities of Divine Charm again! Now you can perform Mind Control, which has an additional cost of 4 due to being way better and more versatile than every lower ability. This means you can mind control a single dude at the steep, steep price of 8 MP. Of course, there may be other, less direct ways of doing this.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 13 - Pre-Speech Twinkle
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:33 am »

((Cutthroat Alley? That sounds absolutely and completely safe. Goddamnit, Satjap.))

Head to the south side of city, try to find Naphezim. Keep an eye out for any unsavory sorts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »

Can you guess what time it is? It's time to expand the abilities of Divine Charm again! Now you can perform Mind Control, which has an additional cost of 4 due to being way better and more versatile than every lower ability. This means you can mind control a single dude at the steep, steep price of 8 MP. Of course, there may be other, less direct ways of doing this.
...How much MP would it cost to have a booming voice, which the people will assume is Kezilam, proclaim him guilty?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2013, 12:42:39 pm »

...How much MP would it cost to have a booming voice, which the people will assume is Kezilam, proclaim him guilty?

There's no specific miracle for that. However, it is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 60