Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69718 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 80 - Festival Day
« Reply #795 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:23 pm »

What does purification of the soul entail? Why are these times dark and sinful?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 21, 2013, 05:15:30 pm »

"What does purification of the soul entail? Why are these times dark and sinful?"

"Refusal of that which is material and simultaneously unimportant, devotion to one's family, a policy of abandoning the sinful pleasures of intoxicants and stimulants, regular introspection, devotion to an art or a craft, kindling of one's internal holy fire. In these times, many forget the need to live virtuously, preferring to live conveniently instead when possible. Down such a path lies the corruption of one's being, the cultivation of vile habits and the ultimate destruction of society through stupidity, greed and laziness. Through curbing the fires of the flesh we allow the flame of our soul to burn ever brighter."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 21, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »

However, I've heard that your faith often involves killing those who believe otherwise. Why is this so?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:39 pm »

However, I've heard that your faith often involves killing those who believe otherwise. Why is this so?

"It's a matter of interpretation of what a priest of Kezilam must do - some believe that it is their task to purify the world for all who live in it, and that Kezilam wishes them to purify it by fire and violence, wash clean the sins of the world in a storm of blood and smoke. Their aggressive ways allow them to spread far and wide and to bring many under their banners in the quest to purify all of Tezelom. In terms of influence, they leave the more peaceful Kezilamites in the dust, as their messages of burning all that offends are easier to digest than a policy of meditation and self-reflection, as I'm sure you must realize."

The woman sighs rather sadly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:04 pm »

And which are you, good lady?
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 21, 2013, 05:52:36 pm »

And which are you, good lady?

"Though I am occasionally tempted to take up arms against those that seek to persecute us, such as the amoral king and his retinue, I like to think of myself as a peaceful sort. And teaching the people in the poor quarter that setting your problem on fire does not qualify as solving it in most cases has been an uphill battle. Our faith has a bit of a reputation, as you said yourself."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 21, 2013, 06:00:55 pm »

[color=green"In terms of influence, they leave the more peaceful Kezilamites in the dust, as their messages of burning all that offends are easier to digest than a policy of meditation and self-reflection, as I'm sure you must realize."
((Now, this is Social Darwinism.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:50 pm »

I am relieved to hear you say that, because I have a bit of a confession to make.
As you can see, I do not worship Kezilam. I did not before, and I do not now. But recently I was struck by a vision of God Itself commanding me to spread the faith, and I knew what I must do. But as I proceeded on my quest I came to the conclusion that so many people cannot have worshiped the wrong God over the years. Instead I believe they worshiped different aspects of God. You worship the aspect of God known as Kezilam. I worship the one known as Mo'kar, God's love of learning and teaching. I come to this city on a holy Quest from God - I must enlighten the city. But the King and the reigning high priests are hostile to new faiths; they will try to kill me. I came to you, good mother, because I believe that the worship of Kezilam can help Mo'kar, and worship of Mo'kar can help Kezilam. I come to you, in a sense, to join faiths.
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 22, 2013, 07:41:58 pm »

Shashari grumbled.

Great.

Perform some stretches upside down. Limber up a bit.

Then try again.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:08 pm »

Elizas looks around, basking in his short glory. He gratefully accepts his payment, and then walks up to the group of women he invited.

"So, how was I?"
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:18 am »

"So, how was I?"

The women are visibly impressed.

"Very good. One could see the holy fire within you, most certainly."

"To be honest, we would like to make you an offer."

"Yes, I'm getting to that. You see, we would like to ask you to perform at our home, the Low Temple."

"As a-"

"As a temple musician, yes. Your musical stylings are very intriguing, so we offer you this somewhat unique chance."

"Our current musician is far past his prime, and his work has grown stale. We would much appreciate you replacing him."

"I bet the High Temple would be quite jealous of us if we had someone like you, sir."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:40 am »

Lars gestures to the converted priests.  "These have seen the error of their ways, and have come here to publicly renounce the false Kezilam and embrace the One True God."

He then kicks the stricken priest.  "This heathen shall burn, along with their false idols," says Lars, holding up one of the relics for emphasis.  "Let us construct a glorious bonfire, for all unholy must be purged in the fire!"

Lars sighed a bit inwardly, then went on.  "Once that is done, we can celebrate our victory."

He looks at the priests.  "Now is the time to publicly renounce."

Encourage the procurement of flammable materials.  Induce the converts to publicly renounce.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 81 - Kinda Like Kezilam, Only Way Better
« Reply #807 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:17 am »

Turn 81 - Kinda Like Kezilam, Only Way Better

Phiali tries to find something to do in this rather peculiar festival. However, he finds that there appear to be only three things happening in the village - people performing various musical pieces, lots of dancing and the burning of rather interesting-looking effigies. Being a reasonable sort, he begins dancing as well. Maybe he'll be able to strike up a conversation with, say, that dancing fellow over there.

"Hi! How's it going?" asks the prophet, bouncing rhythmically to a shockingly catchy tune.

"Wonderful! I come here every year, you know. Absolutely love the festival."

"So, this is some kind of religious shindig, right?"

"A Kezilamite tradition, actually!"

"And Kezilam was this god, right?"

"Goddess, actually! Likes fire and people being pure, apparently."

"I know other gods who like fire as well. Like God, for instance."

"Which god?"

"Just God. No first or last name as far as I know."

"Ooh, mysterious!"

"It's pretty weird - He, or was it She? Anyway, God likes fire and burning things. Water and material possessions, too, and booze, but also burning things."

"Heh, so a Kezilam that allows you to drink to your heart's content, amass lots of money and still burn things you don't like?"

"Pretty much."

"Sounds pretty appealing to the common man."

Gronok, after a short discussion of the Kezilamite faith, reveals his purpose here.

"I am relieved to hear you say that, because I have a bit of a confession to make. As you can see, I do not worship Kezilam. I did not before, and I do not now. But recently I was struck by a vision of God Itself commanding me to spread the faith, and I knew what I must do. But as I proceeded on my quest I came to the conclusion that so many people cannot have worshiped the wrong God over the years. Instead I believe they worshiped different aspects of God. You worship the aspect of God known as Kezilam. I worship the one known as Mo'kar, God's love of learning and teaching. I come to this city on a holy Quest from God - I must enlighten the city. But the King and the reigning high priests are hostile to new faiths; they will try to kill me. I came to you, good mother, because I believe that the worship of Kezilam can help Mo'kar, and worship of Mo'kar can help Kezilam. I come to you, in a sense, to join faiths."

"God's love of learning and teaching, you say? Hm. I always supposed that our faith should have learning somewhere along the way, and I am quite familiar with teaching and its multitudinous difficulties. But does it ultimately matter if our faiths are joined? I will still worship Kezilam and hold to her tenets, while you shall worship Mo'kar and hold to his. Not to mention that I'm hardly the person to speak to about this - Blessed Tritizima is the one you want. She is the one organizing the faithful, of which I am but a single member. You can find her in that building over there," the woman answers, pointing to a humble residence on the north side of the small square.

Shashari realizes that she is really not in any shape to untie herself presently. Thus, she decides to try a few stretches and to limber herself up.

However, she is quite unsure how to properly stretch when she can't even reach her own ankles and when both of her legs are bound. She's pretty sure just flailing around probably won't help, either.

Or maybe she just can't think because of her blood rushing to her head. That is also a possibility.

Elizas grabs all of the money offered him, supposing he is quite a bit richer than he previously was, and most certainly more provided-for than you'd normally expect a prophet to be, walks over to the women.

"So, how was I?"

The women are visibly impressed from the looks of it.

"Very good. One could see the holy fire within you, most certainly."

"To be honest, we would like to make you an offer."

"Yes, I'm getting to that. You see, we would like to ask you to perform at our home, the Low Temple."

"As a-"

"As a temple musician, yes. Your musical stylings are very intriguing, so we offer you this somewhat unique chance."

"Our current musician is far past his prime, and his work has grown stale. We would much appreciate you replacing him."

"I bet the High Temple would be quite jealous of us if we had someone like you, sir."

Lars realizes that some explanation is in order.

"These have seen the error of their ways, and have come here to publicly renounce the false Kezilam and embrace the One True God," he says, pointing to the converted priests, who solemnly nod. Having ascertained this for the benefit of all, he then kicks the bound priest, who appears to consider whether his tormentor is worthy of being spit on.

"This heathen shall burn, along with their false idols," Lars continues, holding up the preserved head of Amaliz Teze and his manuscript. "Let us construct a glorious bonfire, for all unholy must be purged in the fire! Once that is done, we can celebrate our victory."

As the people nod along and agree, Lars addresses one last concern, turning to the ex-priests. "Now is the time to publicly renounce."

The priests look at each other for a long moment, then at the head priest. They then nod, place their hands on their hearts and, one after the other, renounce their faith in Kezilam, affirming that she is a false god, unworthy of proper worship. The head priest gives them a dirty look as they do so, but nobody minds him. The people seem impressed, Lars thinks. It's not every day that you see a priest of Kezilam repent. After a gentle reminder about the business at hand on Lars' part, they move to look for materials for a bonfire.

Not too long afterwards, a rather large bonfire is built at the bottom of the temple steps from various available materials, most prominently a whole lot of stolen or discarded Kezilamite praying robes.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 26, 2013, 06:30:48 am »

Hey, a non-pathetic-failure action of Phiali's made the title!
Hey, Phiali had an action that wasn't a pathetic failure!

Attempt to convert heathen. By telling the truth.
Try to remember if Kezilam sounds familiar...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 26, 2013, 07:37:41 am »

I'm curious if rolls were hidden or all of us just talking didn't invoke any rolls.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60