Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255924 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2016, 05:41:00 pm »

Not enough boiler sites? You only need 1 pump per 10 engines (boiler? I mean the big ones). How little water do you have :O

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 03, 2016, 05:44:57 pm »

Boilers heat up the water, steam engines make electricity.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »

1 pump for [enough boilers to heat the water], which lead to as many engines as can get hot enough water, yeah. You don't need to add a new steam engine site everytime you need mroe power.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 1 pump supports 10 engines using 14 boilers.

Once I get solar panels I typically switch to building (although I still keep my old steam engines around) vast fields of them+capacitors due to the ease of building (using templates) lack of fuel cost and the fact they generate no polution.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2016, 08:53:06 pm »

So, I got this game.

I'm waiting on the Steam multiplayer support. As it stands, I can't connect to my friend at all. Sure, I could use hamachi, but that hinges on it deciding to cooperate which it has yet to do.

In the meantime my singleplayer endless game's going pretty well, given it's only my second one and my first lasted 2 hours. The main issue I've reached is electricity, really. I need something better than the steam engines and solar panels I presently have.

Yeah, it's a pain that harkens back to the early 2000s... but it will work if you port forward UDP port 34197.
This. Been running a server on my PC for it. If you go to your router settings (usually 192.168.0.1 or similar, depending on brand), head over to the firewall settings, then 'port forwarding' or 'virtual servers' section, then add a virtual server for:
Factorio   
ports 34197-34197   
Both TCP and UDP   
your local address on the router (/ipconfig will have it, usually 192.168.0.X where X is greater than 1, and can change when you reboot your pc)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2016, 09:36:03 pm »

Hows oil placement? Solid Fuel is a possible option.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #606 on: March 04, 2016, 02:39:50 am »

I'm finally at oil processing. Been figuring out how to make batteries :v I have automated a small amount of red circuits, and red/green science packs.

(Still doing peaceful mode tho)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:16 pm »

So, I got this game.

I'm waiting on the Steam multiplayer support. As it stands, I can't connect to my friend at all. Sure, I could use hamachi, but that hinges on it deciding to cooperate which it has yet to do.

In the meantime my singleplayer endless game's going pretty well, given it's only my second one and my first lasted 2 hours. The main issue I've reached is electricity, really. I need something better than the steam engines and solar panels I presently have.

Yeah, it's a pain that harkens back to the early 2000s... but it will work if you port forward UDP port 34197.
This. Been running a server on my PC for it. If you go to your router settings (usually 192.168.0.1 or similar, depending on brand), head over to the firewall settings, then 'port forwarding' or 'virtual servers' section, then add a virtual server for:
Factorio   
ports 34197-34197   
Both TCP and UDP   
your local address on the router (/ipconfig will have it, usually 192.168.0.X where X is greater than 1, and can change when you reboot your pc)

Apparently you only technically need to forward UDP - or so the documentation said when I looked it up a few days ago. They built their own tech over UDP.

That said, there isn't really a good reason not to forward both TCP and UDP anyway.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #608 on: March 04, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »

Yeah, the issue lies in actually port forwarding.

And it's not so much the actual water itself so much as that the coal's really poorly placed for me. I have a choice between water or coal or a stupidly long coal track that will probably attract some aliens. As it stands they keep sending excursions at me and I have no idea WHERE they're coming from, I just know that they appear from the north east.

The big electrical poles don't seem to get attacked and you can cover huge distances with them. Level 2 of the campaign makes use of them to get to the iron outpost and it seems to work really dandy.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 05, 2016, 06:19:39 am »

The issue here is moving coal and water together, not distributing the power. I'd build a fort or two on the paths the biters usually take, since the same nest will always attack the same point you don't need to cover the entire base early on. Later in the game, a wall with laser turrets every few tiles is pretty cheap to build even over large distances.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 05, 2016, 03:04:26 pm »

Finally grabbed this game after, well, long enough.
I've only played just below an hour so far and have only a very basic semblance of automation going (I need to invest a bit more into my copper instead of only focusing on iron and coal; I blame the fact it's much further away.) and haven't even fully researched logistics yet, but it's already a hella lot of fun.

Except for the fact that I need to run like 3 minutes to the west to find any worthwhile amount of wood, and it's right next to an alien nest. I mean, I enabled 'enemies never attack first' because I'm a weakling who doesn't really want to bother fighting right off the bat, but still.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:08 pm »

once you get steel you can build medium pylons from steel and copper.

also it's generally good to keep your resource processing separate from your production and your mining, in an easily extensible place and near eachother. Probably best to have a main belt with double belts of iron and copper.

also multiplayer is hella fun
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:08:17 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 05, 2016, 04:34:51 pm »

I like the game, but recently I've been getting annoyed by the mods...after playing 8 hours yesterday into a game I find out rubber doesn't have a recipe in dytech. So then today I go fix it by adding in the recipie, now apparently tree farm crashes the game on loading. :'(

Found a solution, disable tree farm, load game, save it after all fields are removed, re-enable mod.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:44:57 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 05, 2016, 04:49:08 pm »

Its been a few versions since I played dytech, but when I did rubber processing worked just fine.

You plant rubber trees, then wait till they are fully grown. After that you cut them down (or much better, deconstruct them with robots) for 3 resin each. Each resin can be processed into either seeds (in a assembler), or into rubber (via furnaces).
I believe regular trees have a small chance of dropping rubber seeds to obtain the initial few you need to start getting rubber.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 05, 2016, 05:07:16 pm »

Right now I'm at the stage where I have basic iron, copper and coal mining and processing (though I still have to reload furnaces and boilers manually but that's not a huge issue since I should be able to get electric furnaces fairly soon), but setting up the main bus seems like is going to be a nightmare. :v
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76