Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515158 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #435 on: March 26, 2013, 04:48:27 pm »

Neither side actually wants a war. NK is just posturing as a negotiating tactic. They're hoping the US will appease them with a more favourable peace deal if they look like they're going to start a war, however the US is really just not that interested right now.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »

Of course, that has been the standard strategy of NK for as long as I can remember. But who knows, maybe this time they'll cross a line and we will have a war.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 27, 2013, 10:04:38 am »

Yep.
I had previously bought the 1/2/Tactics beforehand. It was more the post-apocalyptic feel of the game that led me to that decision.

First things first, China was the one who started the war in that.

Two, Fallout really isn't a very good basis for discussions modern politics. In the events leading up to the atomic war in Fallout, the oil had run out, the European Union and the UN had collapsed in a massive war/scramble for resources, America had become a plague-ridden dictatorship, and even ignoring all that anything past 1945 in the Falloutverse is alternate history entirely. MAD requires that a large group with a lot of allies starts the war and begins a horrific domino effect of allies firing upon the other side's allies until everything is so much radioactive dust. If NK fired upon America, assuming they could even reach them and not just say shell Seoul which would have a more direct effect with less risk, America would fire back along with it's allies... and who exactly would stand with NK?

North Korea isn't going to cause an apocalypse. However, just because they won't bring about the end of civilization doesn't mean they aren't bastards who will end up killing a lot of innocent people if they attempt an attack on South Korea.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 27, 2013, 10:12:22 am »

-NK attacks SK/another SK ally.
-China invades NK (They really don't want a US controlled nation near their borders, and like stability)
-SK/ Japan/ some other US ally doesn't get the note that China is taking control of the situation, and fire on NK, accidentally hitting China's soldiers
-China returns fire,
-Conflict continues to escalate.

Unlikely, but possible.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 27, 2013, 10:13:52 am »

That seems more like a case of stupidity and miscommunication starting the war rather then NK being the direct menace, but then again stupidity and miscommunication probably started more wars then anything else.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 27, 2013, 10:16:33 am »

That seems more like a case of stupidity and miscommunication starting the war rather then NK being the direct menace, but then again stupidity and miscommunication probably started more wars then anything else.
Well, yeah. There are few people who deliberatly blow up the world.

The scenario is comparable to the start of the First world war.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 27, 2013, 10:36:35 am »

Yep.
I had previously bought the 1/2/Tactics beforehand. It was more the post-apocalyptic feel of the game that led me to that decision.

First things first, China was the one who started the war in that.

Two, Fallout really isn't a very good basis for discussions modern politics. In the events leading up to the atomic war in Fallout, the oil had run out, the European Union and the UN had collapsed in a massive war/scramble for resources, America had become a plague-ridden dictatorship, and even ignoring all that anything past 1945 in the Falloutverse is alternate history entirely. MAD requires that a large group with a lot of allies starts the war and begins a horrific domino effect of allies firing upon the other side's allies until everything is so much radioactive dust. If NK fired upon America, assuming they could even reach them and not just say shell Seoul which would have a more direct effect with less risk, America would fire back along with it's allies... and who exactly would stand with NK?

North Korea isn't going to cause an apocalypse. However, just because they won't bring about the end of civilization doesn't mean they aren't bastards who will end up killing a lot of innocent people if they attempt an attack on South Korea.

I think you mistook my meaning. I used the game and the current news at the time to make a prediction about the future; a prediction that has somehow a few grains of truth within it. Now, I agree that a nuclear war coming from all of this is slim, but as ebbor said with his example - it's unlikely but it is possible.
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:29 am »

-NK attacks SK/another SK ally.
-China invades NK (They really don't want a US controlled nation near their borders, and like stability)
-SK/ Japan/ some other US ally doesn't get the note that China is taking control of the situation, and fire on NK, accidentally hitting China's soldiers
-China returns fire,
-Conflict continues to escalate.

Unlikely, but possible.

1. I don't think South Korea would be that upset. ROK-PRC relations are actually pretty good.

2. Japan might not like it, but Japan should not be in the area to fire on anything. Venturing out from the Home Islands and being off the Korean coast/in Korean airspace would be seen as a provocative move by *everyone* in the region, including South Korea. People still haven't forgotten that whole "Japan conquering ERRYBODY UP IN HERE" back in the early 20th century.

3. IMHO, biggest potential for an accidental dustup there would be some American commander who doesn't like the Chinese. But it wouldn't be any kind of officially-sanctioned policy. Most worrisome possibility there is that some gung-ho commander intervenes and comes into conflict with Chinese troops, and then domestic political pressure from the Right prevents the President from disavowing the action and apologizing. "Saving face" isn't just a concern for the Chinese. :-/

4. In any case, I can't imagine even that sort of incident escalating into a full-on conflict unless there were numerous other factors at play (a trade war, geopolitical friction over other disputes, etc.)

Bottom line: We're not going to start a war to "save" North Korea from China. Especially when quality of life (and even degree of freedom) for North Koreans would probably be considerably improved under Beijing's administration.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:11 am »

This is it guys.

South Korean troops are across the DMZ.

Unofficially.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:31 am »

Aw hell.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2013, 01:12:12 am »

... little bit late to the party with that second one. Just a bit. Y'know, five, six decades. Lil'bit.

I'm honestly kinda' surprised they still have stuff archived from 1950, t'be honest. Especially public facing. Kinda' neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:46 am »

Waitwaitwaitwait.

October 01, 1950

Dammit, Cfoofoo. That was well played.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 29, 2013, 01:16:15 am »

That first article was still valid though, and it's making me nervous.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 29, 2013, 01:16:55 am »

Why's the US being a dick?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: 1950's NORTH KOREAN ARMY ATTACKS
« Reply #449 on: March 29, 2013, 01:42:50 am »

It would be crazy and insane to start a war for any side. The thing that worries me is NK has no shortage of crazy and insane...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 341