Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513884 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

There have been some amusing and entertaining comments made on this thread about Kim Young-Un.  But I’m going to take a shot and guess that of everyone who occasionally logs onto Bay12, I’m one of few who ever worried their draft number would be called in the upcoming lottery.  Similarly, probably not many of you subscribe to The New York Times.    :)
Good chances stand that a world war III will not be caused by North Korea. Plus the majority of casualties ever since WWII have always been civilians.
If war is inevitable, some us fighting is inevitable, most of us dying is inevitable, why not enjoy what we have until the inevitable?
Also cheer up, no need to make a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there's a draft I'm going to hack my own foot off before I fight for the British crown, unless of course we were the ones being invaded.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:48:25 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

If there's a draft I'm going to hack my own foot off before I fight for the British crown.
What, no armed revolt?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What, no armed revolt?

I don't think I'm enough of a violent man to kill in the name of a political cause. Very few causes are worth doing that, even one that I feel so strongly about. It would all depend on the situation at the time of course - if the UK had decided to go to war with the Chinese without our own territory being invaded or something, I'm sure our parliament up here would declare itself independent and neutral. We're not going to get sucked into something like that again, not after everything we've suffered.

If of course we had a Labour government in our parliament that would refuse to stay neutral, as they would, I would consider something like a coup in the name of peace.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:54:25 am by Owlbread »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blah Blah WWIII [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1669 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:09 am »

There's better ways than hacking your foot.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:35 am »

There's better ways than hacking your foot.

I suppose I do have flat feet so maybe I wouldn't have to. What would you recommend? I heard about a Polish guy who tried to get a lion to attack him so he could avoid national service and it tore his arm off.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:52 am »

I've never understood why people go to such great lengths to avoid service in the military...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:52 am »

You could always flee to.....Russia? This is why it's easier to be an American, draft dodging is as simple as crossing the Mexican boarder.

I mean, there's also no real draft anymore. But if there was!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 27, 2013, 09:10:36 am »

Still gotta register for Selective Service, but the chance of an actual draft is exceedingly slim.

I've never understood why people go to such great lengths to avoid service in the military...
Also this. Why permanently maim yourself?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 27, 2013, 09:13:05 am »

...because it's better than getting shot and killed. Probably not better than fleeing to a neighbouring country, though.

Myself I couldn't care less. Should I get constripted I'd enter from minute 1 as an officer and would never get to see the frontline. So it'd be a temporary annoyance at worst. 8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:15:20 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

If there's a draft I'm going to hack my own foot off before I fight for the British crown, unless of course we were the ones being invaded.
Calm down Owlbread, no need for foot hacking. Britain's military is volunteer only and the only two times we had conscriptions there was such a thing as conscientious objection.
But seriously, keep your feet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Calm down Owlbread, no need for foot hacking. Britain's military is volunteer only and the only two times we had conscriptions there was such a thing as conscientious objection.

I always think if I had to lose any appendages I'd choose a foot.

...because it's better than getting shot and killed. Probably not better than fleeing to a neighbouring country, though.

Myself I couldn't care less. Should I get constripted I'd enter as an officer and would never get to see the frontline. So it'd be a temporary annoyance at worst. 8)

It's better for me than fighting for Britain, I can say that much. Even with respect to joining the medical corps, I'd much rather join something like the Red Cross.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 27, 2013, 09:15:57 am »

Still gotta register for Selective Service, but the chance of an actual draft is exceedingly slim.
Hence the statement, "no real draft". Selective Service might also be on it's way out. With women allowed in all positions the rationale for keeping it men-only is gone, and it is at this point more rational to just get rid of it instead of extending it to all citizens. Volunteers forces are simply superior to drafted ones, and even at peace the US has no shortage of volunteers. The Vietnam Era this ain't.

Myself I couldn't care less. Should I get constripted I'd enter as an officer and would never get to see the frontline. So it'd be a temporary annoyance at worst. 8)
No wonder enlisted men seem to hate officers so much. (Not that I wouldn't do the exact same thing.)
No, see, it's a metaphor. He'll hack off his feet to symbolize Scotland hacking off England.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 27, 2013, 09:16:13 am »

I always think if I had to lose any appendages I'd choose a foot.
I'd choose an ear.
No wonder enlisted men seem to hate officers so much. (Not that I wouldn't do the exact same thing.)
You misunderstand. As a physician I'd enter with an officer rank (IIRC at least here any doctor that joins the army starts off as liutenaunt by default) and get stuck in some field hospital somewhere, which is far better than the frontlines. Might even qualify for Geneva convention special protection. Luckily for me we're not so plentiful as to be casually used as cannon fodder.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:26:34 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 27, 2013, 09:16:49 am »

No, see, it's a metaphor. He'll hack off his feet to symbolize Scotland hacking off England.

Very good. I am impressed, Mr. Hunt.

I'd choose an ear.

But that would severely impair your sense of hearing. I'd rather have my ability to walk somewhat impaired than a sense - we can get prosthetic limbs, but senses just don't come back. Not at this moment, anyway. Beyond stuff like that technology that allows blind people to see the outlines of shapes on their tongues and things.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:19:20 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 341