Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515268 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: A valid discussion topic [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #4695 on: September 23, 2017, 03:17:35 am »

i am amused by the thought that Kim Jong Un is calling someone deranged

i am amused moreso by the fact that I agree with him
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: September 23, 2017, 03:30:44 am »

Whether it's correct to call Kim Jong Un deranged depends on whether his actions achieve his goals. He's the top of the pile in North Korea, which isn't a state he created. The craziness that is North Korea isn't his creation. He's doing what's needed to stay on top of that pile, which is sane no matter how much fucked up shit you need to do to maintain that. He'd probably be killed if he let go of total control of power.

Then you have their foreign policy. They're scaring the literal shit out of everyone around them. But think about it, most everyone already despised them and wanted regime change. Post-Iraq, we've seen many pre-existing dictatorships toppled. A nuclear deterrent makes that much less likely. However, it's the "madman strategy". You need to be convincing that you're nuts enough to blow everyone the fuck up or the strategy doesn't work.

In fact, so much of their budget is directed at this one thing, missile and nuclear program, that it shows a single-minded determination and one-track focus, rather than a "deranged" program of military expansion. The idea of a nation with less than 1% of the US's military budget having locally-designed ICBMs is frankly preposterous. The sheer fact that it even seems plausible for them to be achieving this shows how much detailed planning they've done here.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:52:18 am by Reelya »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: September 23, 2017, 04:46:49 am »

Whether it's correct to call Kim Jong Un deranged depends on whether his actions achieve his goals. He's the top of the pile in North Korea, which isn't a state he created. The craziness that is North Korea isn't his creation. He's doing what's needed to stay on top of that pile, which is sane no matter how much fucked up shit you need to do to maintain that. He'd probably be killed if he let go of total control of power.

Well I partly agree, he has good reason to be paranoid and rule by fear, as he was taught by his father. Even so, I do believe he's being more extreme than needed to stay in power. He's just a spoiled young man as I see it, but everyone has treated him like a god for his whole life and expects him to do miracles. That's not an excuse, but I don't think he is really any more evil than a school bully - just more powerful.

So.. I haven't read the whole thread, it's grown rather long.. have we found the solution to the crisis yet?  :P

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: September 23, 2017, 05:42:04 am »

nuke the yanquis and let Kim Ir Sen sort all 'em out
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: September 23, 2017, 05:54:57 am »

uhm....

If Kimmy-Kims decides to set us up the bomb, all his base will belong to us in short order. The US military has the effective might to turn the entirety of NK into a smoldering ruin without ever sending a single foot soldier on the ground, which is what was the major obstacle was during the korean war.

We have autonomous weapons now that could rip that place apart, and leave not a single person alive.  If he opens that can of worms, he is a fucking idiot.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: September 23, 2017, 07:14:17 am »

uhm....

If Kimmy-Kims decides to set us up the bomb, all his base will belong to us in short order. The US military has the effective might to turn the entirety of NK into a smoldering ruin without ever sending a single foot soldier on the ground, which is what was the major obstacle was during the korean war.

We have autonomous weapons now that could rip that place apart, and leave not a single person alive.  If he opens that can of worms, he is a fucking idiot.

And what if he is?

Or what if Trump is?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: September 23, 2017, 08:21:52 am »

Then we get lots of dead South Koreans (from conventional weapons, especially artillery pointed at Seoul), probably lots of dead North Koreans (but not as many, maybe only ones at military bases?), and millions of North Korean refugees. As long as everyone remains sane, no one will actively try to cause that.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: September 23, 2017, 08:45:15 am »

Then we get lots of dead South Koreans (from conventional weapons, especially artillery pointed at Seoul), probably lots of dead North Koreans (but not as many, maybe only ones at military bases?), and millions of North Korean refugees. 

And the way things are going probably California.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: September 23, 2017, 08:58:53 am »

Then we get lots of dead South Koreans (from conventional weapons, especially artillery pointed at Seoul), probably lots of dead North Koreans (but not as many, maybe only ones at military bases?), and millions of North Korean refugees. 

And the way things are going probably California.

Not if war occurs in the short term (the next few years). NK still has a long ways to go to get accurate and usable ICBMs and I doubt that NK could even nuke SK successfully right now. However, they have tons of artillery pointed at SK's capitol and that's one of the reasons why people are so hesitant to intervene militarily.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4704 on: September 23, 2017, 09:02:53 am »

They basically have Seoul hostage, and are using the time between taking the hostage and forces moving in to secure the hostage from them in such a way that they don't have time to shoot the hostage to develop Nuclear Weapons in hope of taking the rest of the world hostage too.

Hostage taking is often a no-win scenario for the hostage taker though, even at the national level. Because as soon as they shoot the hostage, they're taken out. As soon as the powers-that-be stop caring about the hostages more than taking them out, they're taken out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:23 am »

Kim Young One responded to Trump's speech at the UNGA.
He called the speech "the most insulting declaration of war in history", and promised that the US "will pay the greatest price for the speech of a mentally retarded president".
"He is unfit to be a president, a villain, a gangster that likes playing with fire, most certainly not a president. A scared dog barks louder than Trump", Kim said.

Meanwhile the NK minister of foreign affairs says that NK will possibly respond to the declaration of war by testing a hydrogen bomb "like never seen before" over the Pacific Ocean.

His response is very scary, but well written- I mean...
How can it be a declaration of war when we're technically already still at war? Checkmate, almost everyone born after the Korean War.

Fixed that for you.
Mostly along these lines. :-\

I'm unsure how the feeling of reading certain communication styles are for native speakers, but in how familiar we are here with how things are said...
His remarks which described the U.S. option through straightforward expression of his will have convinced me, rather than frightening or stopping me, that the path I chose is correct and that it is the one I have to follow to the last.
This is frightening ._.
But he is on point in describing how badly Trump spoke to an international audience.

It also appears to be the first time any NK leader directly issued a statement under his own name. It's a strange day when NK is advising the US President how to behave.

As for the threat to explode a nuke on or above the Pacific Ocean (no specific location given), it'd be the first aboveground test since 1963, though NK never signed the treaty that stopped those anyway.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: September 23, 2017, 11:11:44 pm »

In fact, so much of their budget is directed at this one thing, missile and nuclear program, that it shows a single-minded determination and one-track focus, rather than a "deranged" program of military expansion. The idea of a nation with less than 1% of the US's military budget having locally-designed ICBMs is frankly preposterous. The sheer fact that it even seems plausible for them to be achieving this shows how much detailed planning they've done here.
I'm gonna give you all three points, but I hadn't super considered this one in particular. You don't tend to view NK as competent in pretty much any regard, but this is actually pretty impressive given what they've got to work with.

A pity they're not quite so creative when it comes to everything else, but I guess being surrounded by enemies does that to you.

So.. I haven't read the whole thread, it's grown rather long.. have we found the solution to the crisis yet?  :P
I'm quite certain we have, but it was far too ridiculous and specific for me to remember.

uhm....

Hence the focus on loudly threatening to do so rather than quietly building up the force to actually do so. The point isn't to damage the US/world, it's to be capable enough of doing so that the US/world sees messing with them as a net loss.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: September 24, 2017, 08:57:59 am »

Well, this is escalating quickly...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352107-trump-on-nk-nuclear-threats-they-wont-be-around-much-longer

It's probably a given that if NK does detonate a nuke over the Pacific, there will be drastic things happening. Whether Trump acts on it or it's more empty bluster remains to be seen. Either way, the rhetorical war is escalating. How To Start A Nuclear War 101.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:05 am »

I wonder what would happen if trump actually ordered an attack. would the military actually listen to such an obviously idiotic order?
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 341