Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102704 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2013, 03:45:18 am »

Okay, current votes:

Better lungs x5
Better movement x5
Proof skin against dehydration x6
Better hearing x2
Echolocation x2
Communication x3 Voice x2
Develop water-reactive bombs x1
Intelligence x1
Attach young to bubblegrove x3

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2013, 03:46:26 am »

+1 to Attach young to bubblegrove
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:15 am »

I'd like to +1 better hearing, please.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2013, 06:52:29 am »

I'd like to +1 better hearing, please.
+1 to Attach young to bubblegrove
me too, to both.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Better lungs- 5, Attach young to bubblegrove- 3, Better movement- 6, Better hearing- 5, Proof against dehydration- 5+1=6

(they love you again. minus attaching something to a bubblegrove)

The all-terrain flapper is a highly successful animal in the river systems it inhabits. The majority of new species of flapper that evolved became herbivores, feeding on skyglobes in the sky or on the greenweed plains below. This flapper, though, is a predator of pretty much anything that's close enough in size. It has a more aerodynamic shape, two claws on its back descended from its upper fins, and two legs on its underside that lets it travel on land to hunt slitherers. Its lungs have joined into a single horseshoe-shape, letting it keep a constant flow of air through them, like a bird's lungs. It has sensitive hearing to detect animals pushing through the foliage or flapping their wings. Like before, they still live in groups. A pack of flappers and their guidelings hunting a pinhead flapper is one of the most awe-inspiring spectacles the planet has to offer. Thick scales prevent it from dehydrating.

After numerous incidents of baby hives falling off while hanging onto their prospective flapper, the guidelings are now able to glide. The hives are still unable to move out of the water, though.

Our prey is beginning to synchronise its electric sense with ours, effectively jamming our vision. It is also jamming our pressure sense with frilled edges to their wings and a humming noise.This, obviously, causes problems.

GENERATION 17:
All-terrain flapper
A murky green-and-brown tassled fish-like animal that hunts around the riverplains. They swim with their powerful tails and use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They can fly. They grow up to 25 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets. They use two claws on their back to snatch prey from the ground or air.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. Symbiotic guidelings help it find live prey. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations in the water from moving creatures. Its hearing is superb.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells when they meet a mate they approve of, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother until they can be dropped off at their hive. They eat mucus that the hive creates and, when they are large enough, find a suitable guideling to make a nest with.
MOVEMENT: They move by swimming like a fish. Sacs of carbon dioxide keep them buoyant. They also have jets which also function as their gills, which they use to make fine movement. They fly by using their large pectoral fins as wings and their thorachic fins as engines. They have two legs on their underside.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on fast swimmers, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation. Other prey include land-dwelling spearfaced worms (slitherers) and other flappers.
PREDATION: We are mostly unpredated on the land. In the river, larger spearfaced worms are still moving in.
COMPETITION: Dwarf spearfaces are the main competition in the water, but we are dominant on land and in the air.
ENVIRONMENT: An overgrown lake and river. We are the dominant species in the lake, and a highly effective one in the river.

HOME TERRITORY:  Massive overgrown lake, Wide river, Greenweed plain
NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: muddy estuary, fast-flowing river

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2013, 07:32:04 am »

Evolve echolocation, and give our guidelings similar senses so that they can triangulate signals.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2013, 07:40:08 am »

mmm... Obviously we need to deal with this "camo". The solution might lie in our brains. If we can use pulses of pressure via secondary jets to communicate perception information throughout the pack, the brain can recalculate the prey's position. Basically using multiples point of view transmitting a general area where the prey is to build a 3D brain imagery of the surroundings.
Furthermore, the hearing could recalibrate itself to ignore the humming sounds. Quite easy (human brain does it automatically). And the electric perception could be multifrequential to prevent synchronisation (the equivalent of randomly quickening/slowing down our pulse to a certain degree).

TL;DR mainly improving "software", slight changes to the "hardware". Result in better brain, open door to further brain/group improvement.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:37 am »

Evolve larger brain

Evolve sharper claws, to make them act like scissors on vegetation\shelled prey
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2013, 10:08:40 am »

mmm... Obviously we need to deal with this "camo". The solution might lie in our brains. If we can use pulses of pressure via secondary jets to communicate perception information throughout the pack, the brain can recalculate the prey's position. Basically using multiples point of view transmitting a general area where the prey is to build a 3D brain imagery of the surroundings.
Furthermore, the hearing could recalibrate itself to ignore the humming sounds. Quite easy (human brain does it automatically). And the electric perception could be multifrequential to prevent synchronisation (the equivalent of randomly quickening/slowing down our pulse to a certain degree).

TL;DR mainly improving "software", slight changes to the "hardware". Result in better brain, open door to further brain/group improvement.
plus all the ones

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2013, 12:25:15 pm »

Echolocation +1.
Better brain +1.
Improve communication +1 (though I still think it should be done via sound).

Revise old neurotoxin ink projection system for distance and accuracy improvements (focus more on projectile than cloud applications).
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2013, 01:27:52 pm »

Echolocation +1.
Better brain +1.
Improve communication +1
Revise old neurotoxin ink projection system for distance and accuracy improvements (focus more on projectile than cloud applications).+1
Evolve the catale cast to produce fatty globuals rather then getting eaten, make them dary cows not meat cows.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:20 pm »

Revise old neurotoxin ink projection system for distance and accuracy improvements (focus more on projectile than cloud applications).

Better brain +1.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »

Echolocation +1.
Better brain +1.
Improve communication +1
Revise old neurotoxin ink projection system for distance and accuracy improvements (focus more on projectile than cloud applications).+1
Evolve the catale cast to produce fatty globuals rather then getting eaten, make them dary cows not meat cows.
+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

+1
same thing.
Full Sig

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2013, 04:07:58 pm »

Echolocation +1.
Better brain +1.
Improve communication +1
+1
+1 This is quite good, this game. I like it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62