Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102433 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »

+1 to everything above
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:08 pm »

+1 to floating tree parasite hives
+1 to strong tree attaching tentacles
+1 to sent based hive communication.
I reiterate my suggestion that we have the cattle cast develop translucent gut pouches to hold symbiotic algae
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 15, 2013, 02:08:27 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Hives out of water- 2+1=3, Hive tracking- 5+1=6, Better climbing- 2, Hive senses of us- 5, Parasitise trees- 4

Forest slicers are the newest species of slicer. They have a keener sense of hearing and smell, to find their hives below the dense canopy. A few other adaptations include shorter, more rounded wings, for dodging through branches.

Hives can now detect our sonar, and can listen to pheremones as well. When this happens, runway guidelings (guidelings with large and excessively bright lower tentacles) help us find our way home by providing both a visual, audio and smell-related message. This helps us use valuable time that would have otherwise been wasted on finding the hive. As a side note, the hive itself can now pierce the roots of the trees (or the corpse of some creature that's been killed) and use digestive acids to devour it.

The forest is only becoming denser, both with the sky version and the ground version. The tough wood means that the frongi that digest stuff like that are unable to digest it, resulting in massive, slowly-rotting piles of dead trees.

GENERATION 21:
Forest slicer
A mottled purple-and-green bird-like animal that hunts above the swampforest. They use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They mostly fly. They grow up to 40 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets. They use two claws on their back to snatch prey from the ground or air.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. Symbiotic guidelings help it find live prey. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations from moving creatures. Its hearing is superb, and it can echolocate.
REPRODUCTION: It 'kisses' a mate it approves of, passing male cells to it, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother until they can be dropped off at their hive. They eat mucus that the hive creates and, when they are large enough, find a suitable guideling to make a nest with.
MOVEMENT: They fly by using their large pectoral fins as wings and their thorachic fins as engines. They have two legs on their underside.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on fast swimmers, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation. Other prey include land-dwelling spearfaced worms (slitherers) and other flappers. We can use a precise jet of neurotoxin, laced with silica shards (to pierce the skin), to kill prey.
PREDATION: We are mostly unpredated.
COMPETITION: Larger aerial predators sometimes compete with us, but we're generally fine.
ENVIRONMENT: A massive swampy forest, with torrential downpour and balloons filling the sky.

HOME TERRITORY:  Swamp forest
NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: Montane forest, saltwater swamp

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2013, 04:04:01 am »

guidelings with large and excessively bright lower tentacles) help us find our way home by providing a visual message.
query: when did we get eyes? ???
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2013, 07:37:16 am »

guidelings with large and excessively bright lower tentacles) help us find our way home by providing a visual message.
query: when did we get eyes? ???
Indeed. I believe we have strict bans on eyes and living on the ground.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:45 am »

Anyway

Continue hive parasitism. We want to grow through the tree, and end up on top of it.

This overgrowth of the forest is getting rather dangerous. Won't be long before all those hydrogen balloons go up in flames.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 15, 2013, 08:06:43 am »

Won't be long before all those hydrogen balloons go up in flames.
...Shit
Can gliders carry hive embryos/eggs? If a thunderstorm turn the forest into a michael bay movie, we need a backup.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 15, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »

WE don't have eyes, but the guidelings do.

There isn't a strict 'hive' caste, any guideling chosen can become a hive.

A thunderstorm would only turn the sky into a Michael Bay movie. Wet trees generally don't catch fire.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:55 pm »

Well, could still be fairly dangerous. We got lot's of rotting trees building up beneath, which might block the water. (Resulting in either rising or lowering of the water levels). Also, methane.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57:07 pm »

Oh god... Hydrogen filled balloons filling the skies, and piles over piles of methane-filled rotting trees on the ground? One spark and everything could explode...
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2013, 01:07:21 pm »

Perhaps we should consider a different habitat?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 15, 2013, 01:28:59 pm »

Oh, stop worrying about explosions. We've lived here at least a few hundred thousands years if we've evolved into a forest slicer or whatever it was.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 15, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »

Hm.

Have the hives evolve to be symbiotic with trees. The hives get off the ground and a solid protection around them; the trees get protection and are fertilized by scraps of food and waste from the Hives.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 15, 2013, 07:12:34 pm »

+1 and guidelings can also fend off animals that could damage the tree. Though I still think the hive should get balloons and the ability to move from tree to tree should the need arise.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62