Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: Modern Magic (D&D 4E) - We're Going!  (Read 36158 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Magic (D&D 4E) - We're Going!
« Reply #480 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:14 pm »

((Yo Mego! The Distant Advantage feat allows me to gain combat advantage with ranged attacks as long as the enemy is flanked. It doesn't say I need to flank them, at least not if I'm reading it correctly; kinda hard to flank with ranged attacks.))
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 03, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »

"While I dislike the logic, the conclusion is agreeable. Why are they letting us fire on their own men? Perhaps Weston could shed some light on it...?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »

((Yo Mego! The Distant Advantage feat allows me to gain combat advantage with ranged attacks as long as the enemy is flanked. It doesn't say I need to flank them, at least not if I'm reading it correctly; kinda hard to flank with ranged attacks.))

((It is hard to flank with ranged attacks - that's the point of the feat. There's an image in PHB1, under Combat, that explains flanking pretty well.))

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:15 pm »

"Looks like Alpha just breathed his omega... That's the first time I killed a man. I... don't know if I liked it."
Kyle wipes his knife off on his shirt and sets to looting Alphas corpse.

Alpha has a modified rifle with complicated controls that you can't quite figure out, and cartridges made specifically for it. He also has a combat knife, identical to the ones the other soldiers had.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 03, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

((It is hard to flank with ranged attacks - that's the point of the feat. There's an image in PHB1, under Combat, that explains flanking pretty well.))
((Lemme quote the text for Distant Advantage:
You gain combat advantage for ranged or area attacks against any enemy flanked by your allies.
Emphasis added by me. I don't need to be flanking, two or more of my allies need to be flanking.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:58 pm »

((Sounds like Sirus is correct in this case, but I haven't seen that feat before, so I wouldn't really know until I read it myself.

Also, only Kyle gets 500 xp and not all of us?))

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 04, 2013, 12:47:26 pm »

((Sounds like Sirus is correct in this case, but I haven't seen that feat before, so I wouldn't really know until I read it myself.

Also, only Kyle gets 500 xp and not all of us?))

((No, all of you get the 500 XP. And, a better way to think about flanking, instead of if an enemy is flanked, is if you and someone else are flanking an enemy.

Code: [Select]
.ab
.x.
.c.

You can draw a line between a and c that goes through 2 opposite corners/sides of the square(s) the enemy is occupying, so a and c are flanking it. You cannot draw a line between b and any other ally that meets that condition, so b is not flanking it with anybody, and does not have Combat Advantage.

That feat only removes the requirement of being adjacent, if you're using a ranged attack, since ranged attacks on a target adjacent to you provoke OA's. Note that close/area blasts/bursts don't count as ranged attacks; they're in a category of their own, area attacks.))

"While I dislike the logic, the conclusion is agreeable. Why are they letting us fire on their own men? Perhaps Weston could shed some light on it...?"

Slade: "These men are expendable. You five are not. So, I am allowing you to kill them so that you may improve. Consider them an investment."

((Enjoy the RP time for a bit. Your regularly-scheduled training will re-commence shortly.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »

((If Sirius's quote of the feat is correct, and it would be moronic and probably pointed out if it wasn't, grammatically dissecting the sentence reveals that:
Combat advantage is gained by you, if you are using a ranged or area attack against an enemy and the enemy is flanked by allies.
I don't see anything suggesting that you must be flanking from range, or even that you can.))

"We're not expendable? Someone tell the firebrand that..."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 04, 2013, 03:50:24 pm »

"Are you referring to me? I apologize for singeing you all, but that spell has rather unpredictable effects. Packs quite a wallop though."

He looks at the body of Alpha.

"I wonder how long it will be before we're expendable..."

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 04, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »

((I actually looked up the feat on the Wizards forums just now, and it seems there was a lot of confusing about it. However, it was ruled that Sirus's interpretation was correct; Distant Advantage grants CA for ranged attacks on enemies flanked by allies, even if you are not flanking it. I apologize for my misinterpretation of what Wizards actually meant.))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 04, 2013, 03:55:17 pm »

((No worries. The attack hit anyway, so its not like the outcome of the turn depended on the interpretation. We just have to remember for future reference.))

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 04, 2013, 03:57:05 pm »

((No worries. The attack hit anyway, so its not like the outcome of the turn depended on the interpretation. We just have to remember for future reference.))

((True enough. Alpha wasn't really that much of a threat to you guys, realistically, given your fighting style. Single enemies are a lot less of a problem. I had another group take down an Iron Gorgon at level 2 before.))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 04, 2013, 06:48:39 pm »

Kyle pushes random buttons on the overly complicated rifle and says.
"So how did you do that turning into a bear thing, it would probably be useful if I wanted a distraction."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 04, 2013, 06:55:24 pm »

It's all nature,man. Just believe, and you can be anything.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 04, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »

"So if I think I'm a cleric of Celestia I am?"
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35