Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4126366 times)

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r3
« Reply #1410 on: September 27, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »

Hey,

it seems i have run into a problem with the current Starter Pack. I installed my Phoebus graphics and started up Dwarf Fortress (clean install) and the game shows for a second the Phoebus tileset and then reverts to the default curses-ASCII tileset. Tried every other tileset in the pack and it justs reverts back to ASCII. Does anybody know a workaround or the reason for this odd behaviour?

Lg
Prinz

It's not weird they are using the curses tileset for the font. If you want the embark screen to not have it use TWBT_LEGACY printmode, well half the screen won't if you want the updated twbt (which will be full graphics on the embark map) click here and copy it to your \Dwarf Fortress 0.40.13\hack\plugins directory and copy and paste/ overwrite. Just copy and paste the stuff in the 0.40.13-r1 folder and don't worry about the other stuff.

If you have the r2 version you can use the phoebus font tileset from that and the data\init init.txt file from it to have the r2 text.

It baffles me that it's kept on for TWBT, instead of TWBT_Legacy when the idea is to be newb friendly.  It's not newb friendly when the first thing they want to see are nicer graphics and it's text, then they have to learn how to go in and make all of these changes that they don't understand.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: September 27, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »

I've reverted back to r2.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 27, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »

Changes like this are usually listed in "file changes.txt":
Quote from: file changes.txt
Auxiliary file changes for 0.40.13:

creature_standard
                (semi)megabeasts that were missing LARGE_PREDATOR received it

grazing creatures
                STANDARD_GRAZER added to replace all grazing numbers, can set coefficient in d_init

d_init
                GRAZE_COEFFICIENT to scale grazing amounts

Indeed. That doesn't mean anyone paid attention, though. :P

Really, I'm mainly pointing this out because even the default installation doesn't include it. Perhaps that's intentional, since the raws for everything are from 0.40.11 and DF will miss the other changes if it's still in the init file (PyLNP would keep it, after all), but it strikes me as somewhat peculiar.

Also, it's worth noting that "file changes.txt" is not exhaustive, even for minor releases. STRICT_POPULATION_CAP was added in 0.40.05, but it is only mentioned as being given a default in the changelog for 0.40.09.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 27, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »

That is because in 40.09 it didn't matter anymore if you had STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in your d_init file because it was 200 (in the .exe) unless you stated otherwise.

I've reverted back to r2.

Just take the hotkeys from r2 Dwarf Fortress 0.40.13\data\init interface.txt (it should be) and plant that in your r3, the fixes included are needed, or do those fixes manually.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:28:05 pm by LeoCean »

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 27, 2014, 06:50:41 pm »

That is because in 40.09 it didn't matter anymore if you had STRICT_POPULATION_CAP in your d_init file because it was 200 (in the .exe) unless you stated otherwise.

My point is it wasn't mentioned when the option was actually added, and it has never been mentioned in "file changes.txt" - only in the release notes. The only way to know about it between 0.40.05 and 0.40.08 was to manually spot it.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 27, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »

Do I need to download the game as well or does the pack have the game in it
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 27, 2014, 07:22:37 pm »

It comes with it

Psyra

• Escaped Lunatic
  • has created "Flamebait", a legendary forum post!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #1417 on: September 27, 2014, 09:44:02 pm »

Hmm, hoped I'd find more info in the thread but no go. :)

Since a few versions back, somewhere around 40_11, I started to get a small 'Starter Pack Launcher' debug window every time I've loaded with '[COMPRESSED_SAVES] not found :('

I've had seasonal saves turned on, and it sometimes, but not always, causes multiple save files of the world to appear, for every time it saves. It stopped the latter behavior as of somewhere around 40_12 but I still get the window, whether upgrading from a previous pack or installing anew. Is it normal? Whether i turn compressed saves on or off, it still appears. I can just click by it and still run the game fine, but I'm just wondering if it's caused by something I'm doing wrong. :>

-P

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:29 pm »

Same here. Assume its not needed.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 27, 2014, 11:49:21 pm »

Can someone explain to me step by step how to get my graphics to stay Ironhand, and not revert to ASCII? I honestly hate the ASCII graphics, they're why I didn't get into DF until someone showed me this starter pack. Now it's rebelling against me.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 28, 2014, 12:17:07 am »

Can someone explain to me step by step how to get my graphics to stay Ironhand, and not revert to ASCII? I honestly hate the ASCII graphics, they're why I didn't get into DF until someone showed me this starter pack. Now it's rebelling against me.

It doesn't revert.  Load up a fort, and the map tiles will be ASCII as you set. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 28, 2014, 12:22:39 am »

No, I want them to be Ironhand.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 28, 2014, 12:25:32 am »

Sorry, typo... 

TwbT means that menu tiles will be ascii.  Map tiles, once you load a fort, will be ironhand or whatever other set you've chosen.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: September 28, 2014, 12:32:42 am »

Oh, okay. Thanks!

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: September 28, 2014, 12:36:11 am »

Twbt 5.13 fixes the issues with some of the map being text in TWBT_LEGACY printmode or w.e it's called. Honestly I don't get why it isn't the damn graphics (font) set because those using acii don't have graphics and why do they expect people who use graphics to know what this text poop is (even if I do) at the very least if there was a separate map tileset which mifki was told how it could be done we wouldn't have these issues.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 385