Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4126429 times)

Tarsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3585 on: May 16, 2016, 08:01:25 pm »

That reminds me, thanks PeridexErrant for making this pack and keeping it up! Also thanks to all of you who contribute to making sure those key programs, mods, and graphic packs that help so much with playing this spectacular game get the needed attention! There is a large (relatively) silent group of us who are not built to do these things whose lives are greatly expanded by your efforts. Seriously. Thank you.

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: May 17, 2016, 01:45:51 pm »

Is there a way to update the pack myself with 43.02?

I guess that's possible. Updating all the object files in the graphics raws so that they don't corrupt your game can be will take a long time and be tedious, but it's doable. You can probably get Dwarf Therapist to work with a memory viewer program and by guessing and checking addresses until everything works. It will take a long time and be very tedious, but I think that would be possible. I imagine the current build of Dwarf Therapist will still work, so you shouldn't have to update and recompile that. If you want DFHack support, that will be very complicated, but it's all open-source, so it should be pretty feasible for someone to do, although it will take a long time and be pretty tedious.

tl;dr - You can update the pack yourself, but depending on how much of it you want updated and the level of your programming skills, it could be extremely complicated and take a lot of time.

Mostly I just want Dwarf Therapist and a tileset to work. =p I'm nowhere near being a programmer.

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: May 19, 2016, 10:22:41 am »

Having issues changing graphics sets all of a sudden.

When I attempt to switch it, I get an error.  Contents of the log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can no longer start up the game; the art and raw folders are missing.

I downloaded a fresh pack, extracted it, and suffer the exact same issue.

I thought something might've been up with my system (running for a few days), so I restarted it; no change.  In fact, I can't even load the launcher anymore on my current install, it just produces an error log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am totally baffled as to what's wrong.  I've run the game absolutely fine for just over a month. It wasn't until I just tried to switch my graphics set that the whole thing exploded.

---
Edit: I can now suddenly run the game and switch graphics sets with a fresh extract of the starter pack.  I still cannot manipulate or run my old install.  This doesn't make any sense.

---
Edit2: Okay, I've reproduced the error 100% with a fresh pack and nothing else.

subedit: See video for visual reproduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdX2McVhTdg

Untouched game; can switch graphic packs fine.  Can run the game, close, switch, run, close, etc.  All works fine.

However, for some reason, if I go into one of the folders inside the dwarf fortress game folder, it completely breaks the pack. Upon switching graphic sets afterward, the art (if existed) and raw folders get deleted, it errors, and then the launcher fails to start again.

I don't have a clue why this is happening.  Nothing is being changed as far as I'm aware; it just up and breaks after I view one of the folders.

Additionally, the pack archive includes some dummy folder named ".", which appears to be a copy of itself (claims it can't write the same folder twice when extracting).  This wasn't in previous editions.

Overall, there seems to be some issues with this pack..

Windows 7 x64; standard Windows Explorer for viewing files and folders.

---
Edit3: Resolved it by repacking and extracting.  Still buggers up when I view the folder though no matter the drive.  Doesn't make any sense; see later posts if interested.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:07:44 pm by DAOWAce »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: May 20, 2016, 12:13:00 am »

It seems like the fresh pack would work. Did you try to install anything into the fresh pack? After extracting a fresh starter pack, you might try to see if you can run the game and create a world before trying to install any save files or outside graphics pack. When you copy a save file over, make sure you are only copying the stuff to the "/Peridexis Starter Pack/Dwarf Fortress v0.xx/data/save/" folders. If you are trying to install a graphics pack that isn't included with the starter pack, it needs to be editing to make it compatible with the lazy newb pack.

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:04 am »

^ Just did a full test and have 100% reproduction of it.

See my latest edit in my original post.

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.  I don't know if my install is even fixable if I can't go into the folders.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: May 20, 2016, 02:22:59 am »

"." is programming notation for "current location" so folders can be referenced using relative paths. If you somehow manage to create a folder called "." I wouldn't be surprised if that screws things up such that the computer would try to look inside that folder rather than relative to the current location.
Viewing a folder containing a folder with a reserved name might somehow get the OS to realize there is a folder with the reserved name there, and thus screw up subsequent usages. That's just a wild guess, though.

I'd try to extract the downloaded folder manually and extract/copy everything but the weird directory (and its contents).

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: May 20, 2016, 02:36:59 am »

It sounds like you're using a third-party program to extract the file - try just entering the zip in Windows Explorer like it was a folder, and copying the files.

What version of Windows are you using?  Any antivirus?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: May 20, 2016, 04:17:17 am »

You mean you both don't see the folder called . in the archive when opening it with an archival tool? Edit: http://i.imgur.com/SZm9lh9.png

It doesn't matter which of my programs I view it with (7zip, winrar) there's an empty folder with a dot for a name.  If I try to go into it via windows explorer (something I never do; because it's an archive), it does not display the dot folder.

But that doesn't matter anyway; it's just an archive issue, I can delete it directly and it'll repack or extract it without it.  Both don't matter to this issue, just something to clean up for a future release of this pack. (as I stated; previous packs did not have this)

I use Windows 7 x64.  I do not use anti-virus and I am the full system admin with UAC disabled. Zero issues with folder security; never have to 'run as admin' with anything.  Aka, I don't suffer the "vista annoyances" as they were called at the time as other people do.

I'm an IT consultant so I can usually figure this stuff out on my own, but this is a seriously bizarre issue that does not make any sense at all.  Why would a program (PyLNP) break when a subfolder in the dwarf fortress game folder is viewed in windows explorer?  Nothing is written to the folders (in Vista+), no permissions are changed.. the only thing modified is the NTFS "last access" time, which shouldn't affect anything.  The only other thing I can think of is shadow copies being generated and somehow interfering with PyLNP.

I'm just baffled. I ran a full checkdisk, memtest and even stress tested too just in case I had hardware issues; no problems.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:24:45 am by DAOWAce »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: May 20, 2016, 04:54:00 am »

I've heard of either WinZip or WinRar corrupting files before. I would try downloading another fresh copy, right-clicking it, and having 7Zip extract it (not by dragging files out from the archive). I think dragging the files out from an archive can cause problems occasionally.

Windows 7 64-bit is probably like the best edition of Windows, and this build of the Starter pack has been out for about 3 weeks. I think if there was a big problem with switching graphics pack it seems likely someone would have noticed before now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:57:26 am by jecowa »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: May 20, 2016, 05:25:24 am »

Utterly bizzare - I certainly can't think of a reason it would do this.

As a last-ditch thing, PyLNP can be told to increase logging verbosity, which might help debug it :(
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: May 20, 2016, 05:42:24 am »

I don't drag out of an archive, as that extracts to a temp folder and then uses the windows copy function to copy it to the directly you selected. This happens with both WinRAR and 7-Zip.  A hassle, really.

I've also never had any corruption issues with WinRAR or 7zip in well over a decade of using them.  As for WinZip.. people still use that?

That said, I believe I manged to fix it, though I haven't attempted to screw with it after getting it working again.

I did a fresh extract to the root drive of another SSD, renamed the folder "DF" extracted the graphic set I wanted (Dungeon Set), modified the colors (the whole cause of this issue because I went into the game folder), loaded PyLNP, installed the graphic set, tested it was working, moved my old DF folder over to the same SSD and renamed it "DF2", moved the raw folder over (since I didn't have to go into it), archived the data folder, went into the archive and extracted the art folder into the data folder, closed everything out, loaded up my old PyLNP launcher, checked the graphics tab (customize was blank), reinstalled it (success), started up DF and confirmed working, saved and exited, copied back to old location and renamed it "DF" (instead of "Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06-r04"), re-ran to make sure it's still working.   Phew.

I don't know what triggered it, and I'm not gonna find out right now; just want to get back to finally playing after 2 days.  I'll copy it later and test if it happens again.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: May 20, 2016, 05:58:17 am »

of course inside winrar it shows the "." folder, as it does in 7zip and every other such program.
ever since i first found it, i use 7zip for all formats and it never failed me.
redownload the file, try 7zip.

if it doesnt work thenit sounds like you should repair your HDD. run checkdisk and hope that it's only corrupted file index entries.
otherwise you might need a new hdd.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: May 20, 2016, 09:02:43 am »

That's unlikely to fix the issue:
It doesn't matter which of my programs I view it with (7zip, winrar) there's an empty folder with a dot for a name.

I'm just baffled. I ran a full checkdisk, memtest and even stress tested too just in case I had hardware issues; no problems.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:09 pm »

Having issues changing graphics sets all of a sudden.
<snip>

It sounds like something was wrong with the art folder in the graphics pack and copying it over failed. It's hard to say what exactly; was it a specific pack that caused the issue, or any pack?

If you have a reproducible test, try running PyLNP from a command prompt with the argument "-d" and then make it fail to install that graphics pack. This will output a bit more debugging info into the log (it's worth a shot, at least).

To recover the broken install, you should be able to manually copy the contents of LNP\Baselines\0.42.06 into that folder.

I will probably try to improve the whole error handling and debug info a bit for future versions of PyLNP.

Arshness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: May 20, 2016, 06:01:32 pm »

I'm getting some oddities with the latest LNP (42.06) with the Ironhand Graphics pack.
My bridges appear to be made of odd tiles like stools and stuff.
There are two 1x3 bridges on the left of this image.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 385