Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 526273 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #1770 on: December 12, 2015, 03:30:34 pm »

Yes - or attacking it twice. And if you only had one eye to start with (Pale Ones, Fomorian giants, etc.) losing one is bad enough, not that the penalties from losing one of two is fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: December 12, 2015, 04:03:33 pm »

Yeah, it's one eye per attack... so if something with two eyes attacks twice, they got no more eyes. Eyeloss is good stuff, aheh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: December 12, 2015, 06:43:33 pm »

Stygian paths, how does it work, man?

I've just sent a lich with 100-odd soulless using that spell. The army benefited from +100% hp from the gift of health.
Now, the manual says units (all? most?) should be hit by a MR death attack (so, undead should be immune) and a 1 AN attack.
Still, 90% of the soulless perished, which is way too high for a mere statistical fluke.

Anyone knows anything more about the nuts and bolts of the spell? Had some experience?
MR-resist death WILL kill undead unless the spell has the "undead-immune" tag AFAIK.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:36 pm »

Yep. There was a recent discussion about this on the zombie Desura forums, and I recall testing it with 0-MR, 1000hp soulless. Heavy casualties ensued.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: December 12, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »

That doesn't sound very useful.

Shrug. An extra ten gems per turn never hurt anyone. I'd rather have temples that create gems than temples that don't create gems. Besides I like to use soul contracts with Ragha, so I actually find it reasonably useful.

10 gems per turn sounds a lot better than 10 gems total.  :P

Just looked at the overall conversation. I suppose some ambiguous things were said. Anyway, it is 1 gem per temple per turn. From what the other posters said, that goes up to a max of 10 gems per turn assuming 10 or more temples. 1 gem per temple up to a max of 10 temples. Having more than 10 temples will not raise the monthly gem income past 10. The limit is set by Max Dominion, so having less than 10 Max Dominion will lower the monthly fire gem income from 10 down to a lower number.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: December 12, 2015, 07:26:21 pm »

Yep. There was a recent discussion about this on the zombie Desura forums, and I recall testing it with 0-MR, 1000hp soulless. Heavy casualties ensued.

You know, from the spell description I never would have guessed that the chaff undead hordes are among the worst units to travel on the Stygian Paths.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: December 12, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »

That doesn't sound very useful.

Shrug. An extra ten gems per turn never hurt anyone. I'd rather have temples that create gems than temples that don't create gems. Besides I like to use soul contracts with Ragha, so I actually find it reasonably useful.

10 gems per turn sounds a lot better than 10 gems total.  :P

Just looked at the overall conversation. I suppose some ambiguous things were said. Anyway, it is 1 gem per temple per turn. From what the other posters said, that goes up to a max of 10 gems per turn assuming 10 or more temples. 1 gem per temple up to a max of 10 temples. Having more than 10 temples will not raise the monthly gem income past 10. The limit is set by Max Dominion, so having less than 10 Max Dominion will lower the monthly fire gem income from 10 down to a lower number.
Thank you, as Shadowlord noted, 10 per turn is amazing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: December 12, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »

No problem. :)

Now for a question of my own. Anyone here mod dominions 4?

I was working on a mod and I wanted to create something to replace the Lichcraft and Vampire Lord spells. Originally I wanted to modify the spells so that they work like the twiceborn or transformation spells. By that, I mean I want the spells to transform a mage into a lich / vampire instead of summoning one.

Unfortunately, from the research I've done, those spells seem to have hardcoded effected that can't be modified like a summoning spell for example could. I tried personally making a custom spell with the transformation effect and changing the damage value to that of the lich's id just to check and it didn't work. Pretty sure twiceborn is the same.

Anyway, on to my question. Do any of you know if it's possible to take the effects of say the Lycanthropes amulet or that troll skin artifact and modify those to get a similar effect?

Unfortunately while I'm semi competent (or barely competent :P) with modding units and spells, I know next to nothing about how more elaborate item modding works. Any help here would be much appreciated.

To clarify, I know how to modify things like damage, attack, defense, protection, encumbrance values, etc thanks to browsing that modding manual and I use the mod editor to check over everything for me and for making some value modifications. I do not however know how to do anything with any special magic like effects with items.
Sure thing peanut man!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: December 12, 2015, 09:12:01 pm »

I'm... fairly sure you can make a spell that kills the caster and summons a new unit, for what it's worth? Which would more or less let you pull off a transformation effect, though it'd probably lose some stuff (XP, paths, items maybe) in the process.The Eljudnir, Frost of the Nether Realm mod has one on an item (Soul gem, or something like that) -- you might check it out to see how they did it. I think you can also limit items to certain units, ala Ragha's shtick, if you only want certain units to be able to do it... less certain if you can limit spells to only certain casters, but going at it via items is a potential workaround.

Not even remotely a modder worth mention, though. Most I've done was a half-arsed gemless mod a few versions back.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:13:54 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: December 12, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »

We talking ritual or combat spell? Because ritual spells already have a precedent in vanilla Dom4; the high-end national summon spell for MA Ashdod. Kills the caster, summons dudes.

Gave Dom4 a couple more pokes after the latest update. Telkhines are WEIRD... Can't really figure out what the nation's trying to be exactly, they've got a lot of really cool eggs in a lot of very different baskets. Also, berserking undead...

I also see now that they've added in a skirmish tactic that makes ranged units try and keep out of melee range while still firing and still remaining on the battlefield.  About goddamn time...  That said, it seems to work a bit strangely.

I also see that the ancient kraken can now wield weapons in four of his tentacles. I sense a great potential for dickery.

And Ur still doesn't have any pretenders with recuperation, which would've played in so nicely with the god-calling benefits they have...  I still have no idea what Ur is actually good at these days, aside from scouting.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: December 12, 2015, 09:30:48 pm »

Ur is good at having meaty dudes with ton of HP, strong morale and above average MR, along with the Nature/Earth paths to make them fearsome in combat. Personally I treat them as Order Pan without access to Blood, tramplers or centaurs. They both have very similar paths, recruit anywhere mages, sacred researchers and so on. Obviously this makes their game plan rather limited beyond buffing troops and spamming Earth Meld, but they can pump out evocations if needed. Just don't expect them to be all that great at it. I enjoy playing as them, but obviously they aren't in the top-tier of EA nations by any means. Certainly better than Therodos though.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: December 12, 2015, 09:47:44 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose killing the mage and summoning a new unit is one way to go about it. Would have been nice to keep the experience and magic paths though... or at least the name. I'm mostly doing this to have fun in some single player games. I felt like it would fit the lore a bit better to have mages turn into liches and vampires rather than a mage creating liches and vampires. Kinda like Conquest of Elysium has it.

I was talking about a ritual spell. The Ashdod spell would probably be a nice reference if I decided to go the kill the mage and summon the unit route. I'll likely try and look up some guides on item modding first to see if I can find any feasible way to go about this. If not, at least I've got a backup plan now. :)
Sure thing peanut man!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: December 12, 2015, 10:20:52 pm »

@gman
I've thought about testing if the polymorph (it is the curse of the frog prince's) effect works in rituals but I haven't. It is also unknown what it will target as a ritual.

Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 12, 2015, 10:33:23 pm »

Oh gods why is the code box tiny.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 12, 2015, 10:38:46 pm »

Oh gods why is the code box tiny.
It isn't for me ???
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 236