Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 497959 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #960 on: July 24, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »

just got my coal working and it is nasty.
Code: [Select]
inorganic_stone_mineral_SKH

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]

[INORGANIC:COAL_SKH]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE_HLG]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:coal][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:136]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:34]
[IGNITE_POINT:11000]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:14000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1400]
[IS_STONE]

[INORGANIC:COAL_DOOM_SKH]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE_HLG]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:coa l][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:136]
[IS_GEM:coal:STP:OVERWRITE_SOLID]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:COAL_SKH:CLUSTER_ONE:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:34]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:32000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1400]
[IS_STONE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:Monoxide]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL]
[SYN_INHALED]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYES:ALL:START:0:END:6000]
[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:ALL:START:0:END:6000]
[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:5:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYES:ALL:START:0] Slight chance of perma-blinding vicitm
[CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION:SEV:100:PROB:5:BP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:ALL:START:0]
[SYN_INHALED]
[CE_COUGH_BLOOD:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:100:END:1000]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:100:END:2000]
[CE_BLISTERS:SEV:100:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:RESISTABLE:START:0:PEAK:100:END:2000]

also the heat can start grass fires

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:37 am »

Everything we touch turns to death. The beer is toxic. The tobacco is toxic. The casts are toxic. The animals are all out for blood. Many of the animals are toxic. The incense is toxic. The cloth is toxic. Now, the coal, too, is toxic, and evidently will spontaneously combust. Some of the trees will set your skin on fire. Some will freeze it solid.

I think the only things by now that are unqualifiedly not out for the blood of the players are the meat, and the atmosphere itself.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 25, 2013, 01:49:45 am »

Waiting for Evil Rain to get customized :P

Also the coal itself isn't toxic, nor does it combust. That would be the occasional toxic byproduct. Something similar to what I did with iridium, but haven't seen due to not seeing any iridium or oxyline. I may have to tweak the frequencies.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 25, 2013, 02:00:50 am »

I think the only things by now that are unqualifiedly not out for the blood of the players are the meat, and the atmosphere itself.
I'm working on both of these issues.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 25, 2013, 02:24:40 am »

Which is why I must create:

1)More benevolent/passive animals

and

2)An indestructible race of otherworldly observers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:20 am »

Also the coal itself isn't toxic, nor does it combust. That would be the occasional toxic byproduct. Something similar to what I did with iridium, but haven't seen due to not seeing any iridium or oxyline. I may have to tweak the frequencies.

actually it is in the main coal veins (about 1 in 60) not a byproduct when you mine it
so anyway when you mine it it explodes.
i am also going to add peat, which will appear in the soil layers and be gaverable as clay so you can burn the boulders to get bars, it will be inefficient but an infinite fuel source

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 25, 2013, 03:37:08 am »

I have finally decided to contribute to this modding effort, and I am currently working on a new creature called the "wheeler," that likes nothing better than to kill and eat our dear hobbits.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #967 on: July 25, 2013, 05:53:30 am »

i am also going to add peat, which will appear in the soil layers and be gaverable as clay so you can burn the boulders to get bars, it will be inefficient but an infinite fuel source
+1.

Infinite fuel that isn't as hard to acquire as magma? Awesome.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:09 am »

It would be interesting from an evolutionary standpoint to see what "defenses" the halflings and other creatures will develop to counter the extreme toxicity of the world as it stands.  Halflings have "free(ish) will, of course, but it would be strange for them to be living unchanged in an environment where they didn't evolve defenses to the "natural" dangers around them.

Therefore, I humbly suggest a rare caste of mutant "superhalflings" who are dumb as rocks (and about as tough) but who produce offspring at a prodigious rate.  Perhaps make these mutants have a lifespan of only a couple years as an adult and be incredibly naturally agile to survive the rigors of the world and keep the halfling race alive "in spurts" as it were?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 25, 2013, 09:21:58 am »

Also the coal itself isn't toxic, nor does it combust.

O really?
Code: [Select]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:32000]

On further review, it seems the sole reason this does not spontaneously combust is because it explodes into a cloud of monoxide gas first. Carry on.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:39 am »

It would be interesting from an evolutionary standpoint to see what "defenses" the halflings and other creatures will develop to counter the extreme toxicity of the world as it stands.  Halflings have "free(ish) will, of course, but it would be strange for them to be living unchanged in an environment where they didn't evolve defenses to the "natural" dangers around them.

Therefore, I humbly suggest a rare caste of mutant "superhalflings" who are dumb as rocks (and about as tough) but who produce offspring at a prodigious rate.  Perhaps make these mutants have a lifespan of only a couple years as an adult and be incredibly naturally agile to survive the rigors of the world and keep the halfling race alive "in spurts" as it were?

Sorry to be wet blanket... While sort of cool, my take on all this is that despite environmental toxicity the world must remain playable for a vanilla human-like race (halflings) without enhancements like that. If we freely embrace an arms-race mentality, we'll eventually end up with a world of our version of hardened adamantine colossi trying to survive against interactions instantly nuking the entire embark site with fire burning at 150 million degrees urist (just let your thermonuclear fusion demon cause an instant material emission on every target on the map). Sort of awesome, but a genuine design problem because a) it constantly obsoletes and makes irrelevant the contributions of earlier players and b) reduces this to something that's fun to play for 5 minutes.

So that's why the rules say it must remain playable with any vanilla-like race choice and I think not hardening the halflings makes them a good "base" race to test the world against. This means any attempt to make the atmosphere deadly will be rejected by the rules, even if there were another race that could deal with it. :P Also I feel that if the world becomes too hostile it's time to take a step back and reconsider whether your contributions are actually contributions to the world at that point and not just "hey let's see if I can make players die faster". Furthermore if player reactions are like, this makes me not want to play, it's time to remove that part as this thing is pointless if it's just us demonstrating new raws we write and nobody wants to or can play the world anymore. But we're not there yet, all that's there is just more risks and those are good.

I'm going to mostly trust mod turn holder judgment on this one to simply not include completely broken things or ones that ruin player experience, even if they are posted. You probably want people to be able to enjoy your additions after all.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:45 am »

i think halfling has a point.
i am going to add somethings to try and make the half lings lives easier. i have done my peat so i might add some kind of large halfling war beast. this way we can have our fat little hobbits comfortable in their villages shut out from the rest of the world.
and then i may add some harmless wild creatures to dilute all the others   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:18:18 am by sackhead »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:39 am »

Okay, but I have to say that wasn't my point though, as I don't feel like it's gone that far. My point was more along the lines of let's not go there. Adding more deadliness into the world is good but it shouldn't be so much that it starts wiping out the possibility for "normal" play as a "normal" race, IMO, but neither the tarnish stuff nor coal explosions nor dangerous beasts does that. Last lines were more about that I'm sure that there's cool non-toxic stuff to add too.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 25, 2013, 12:03:11 pm »

Really what we need are dozens more passive animals, so that not everything that walks onto the map makes a beeline for your fort. Just roving herds of landsquids and dirigible antelope. Great lethargic slugs that are only dangerous if you actually attack them. Psionic bone-faced whales with valuable brains who roam through peacefully. Xenophyophores as vermin.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »

dirigible antelope

Please make that  :o
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 261