Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Reboot Plot? (Don't vote yet)

Time Skip to Future (Several years, no current threats, heavy magic restrictions, living their own lives for the moment)
Matrix Wake Up -Layar- (Lost the final battle and were captured by the Layar. Have woken up to worl taken over. MUCH weaker than believed in 'Matrix')
Matrix Wake Up -Osmodias- (Dreamworld due to mass mind control and mind domination. Powers lost or exaggerated in the dream state)
Ashley Void Takeover Plot? (Void being takeover)
???
??????
Random Voters thingy for those who feel like voting for nothing.

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls IC OOC (Currently voting for V3 RotMG)  (Read 252068 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls IC OOC (Currently voting for V3 RotMG)
« Reply #7440 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:11 pm »

Yes, but Yuri's family were just trying to gain power! They didn't give a fuck about magical threats!
If anything, it's a bit too late for you to start demanding a revocation of an axiom that the entire setting hinges on. @Elf approved the lore, I accept that. What precisely was the lore? Did you set out what they were doing specifically before the Layar invasion?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:58 pm »

Yes. In fact a lot of the beginning of V2 took place in the main building in Florida, right up till the cross over.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:37 am »

Well, what exactly did that lore cover?

In order to prevent violating the entire setting outright, there must have been no major threats. Supernatural killers wandering around and whatnot would be fine, but massive issues like the present ones would have never occurred. If your lore violates that, then I would presume that @Scapheap's one would win out simply from existing for a longer period of time.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: May 31, 2014, 12:03:06 am »

Of course not. The worst thing was probably a very poorly written Alex Mercer rip off.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: May 31, 2014, 12:05:26 am »

So back on topic, seeing as there is no lore conflict, how was magic unknown by the general public prior to the Layar invasion if major corporations knew about it already?

@Scapheap's lore indicates that magic was not publicly known and your own statements indicated that IRIS was a secret organization. So the question is, how does it get funded by large corporations but remain secret?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: May 31, 2014, 12:22:00 am »

How did Cerberus from Mass Effect do it?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:49 am »

What's Cerberus?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: May 31, 2014, 04:30:03 am »

Then you should have said so when she literally said 'replace magic with guns and people will be saying the laws aren't tight enough'.
Well I didn't notice that and so we'll go with Emp's interpretation because it sounds less X-Men like. For gods sake we're not the X-Men. Hasn't anyone watched any magical girl shows so we can model this off those (apart from me but as I've only watched a bit of Sailor Moon and Puella Magi not the best example)?

Last time I checked, magical girls were not world famous and working for magical girl associations with infinite resources - this is what super heroes do. They cared very much about not being exposed and yes, depending on which show you mean in particular, there would have been serious trouble if they got exposed. Imagine what kinda stuff would happen in puella magi when the military found out about this putting your soul into some weird egg thing so the main body can fight and not give a crap about damage etc. The girls would become guinea pigs faster than you can say "dystopia"
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: May 31, 2014, 04:34:14 am »

...I also said something somewhere about this NOT being Puella Magi, I'm sure of it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: May 31, 2014, 04:35:56 am »

And @SmurfingtonTheThird has now given a takeover bid hijack offer. Not entirely sure if it's still considered a hijack if he politely offers it :P

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: May 31, 2014, 04:42:29 am »

And what do they have that military organizations would want? The ICARUS project is a failure and lasers haven't really demonstrated many advantages over bullets, especially considering blooming.

Failure? Last time I checked ICARUS kicked massive ass, and the other 6 Prototypes are doing their respective jobs pretty well. Remember the current ICARUS project is like some early alpha access. 7 different versions, ultimately one get picked, patched, upgraded and be put up for production and subsequent sale to governments and organisations worldwide that think "hey, we really could use some robots that are good at taking down supernatural bullshit". The problem is that IRIS happened to outfit them with heavy weaponry completely ignoring all international weapon laws. Last time I checked, producing high tech military hardware equipped with weapons that go against the geneva convention in some cases and then distributing them around the world to fight (and often kill) criminals, no matter how magical and dangerous said criminals are, is illegal.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: May 31, 2014, 04:44:42 am »

I meant failure as in your aforementioned "got caught on camera committing what appeared to be an act of terrorism in a different country" issue.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: May 31, 2014, 04:50:09 am »

well, dem cellphones are fucking everywhere :P

there is simply no way to do supernatural stuff in a major city and not have a camera aimed at you from somewhere

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:53 am »

Well, you could secretly murder every single person in the city, that tends to remove the problem :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: May 31, 2014, 03:39:22 pm »

Because he's a famous magic user who would inevitably be given a deal he doesn't want by some government and if he tried speaking out against this idea he would probably be made out as a villain and have a fall from grace and really it's just simpler over all to fake his death or go into hiding.
What, Kyle's against being registered and such? He's starting to sound like those crazy people who live in the woods and blame everything on the government.

Yes, he goes into hiding because... well have you seen the Incredibles? something like that would probably happen.
Ignoring for a second how no one's suggesting anything remotely like that...remember how Mr. Incredible was separated from all of his friends from his superheroing days? Neither do I. He lived with Elastigirl, hung out regularly with Frozone, and it's implied that he kept in contact with other supers before they got, you know, murdered. Spoiler alert for a ten-year-old extremely popular movie, by the way.

So in other words, he's even more paranoid than Cyrielle.
Cyrielle's not paranoid, she just doesn't really want to be a hero.

Donations from big companies.
Who and why?

Anti-magic generators for one.
Lots of data on magical threats, some purely magical weapons, and the schematics for Kyle's power armor.
They're sharing all that? News to me.

They use a completely custom coding language, if people attempt to take it by force the base is nuked, and if the employees take something that could be a real problem they are put on d-class duty. Less severe punishments are given for less severe or more beneficial deals.
Wait, hold on a sec. How does that work, exactly?

And D-class duty puts you with the mean stuff. Not deadly. Just painful.
Said like a true non-SCP-Foundation-reader!

How the hell was magic unknown by the general public prior to the Layar invasion if major corporations knew about it already?
Because kj doesn't think things through? Ever?
I think the question is, What were Yuri's family and IRIS doing before the invasion?
See above.

Fairly certain this is falling into GM jurisdiction since Scapheap was the one that let Yuri's thing go on and Elf is the one who was okaying the lore for IRIS.
Don't blame Elf for anything, we all know he never does any GMing. (Sorry.)
As for scapheap, I don't think Yuri's family originally did much except exist and keep the one thing bound.

And really now's a bit late for you to bring that up.
It's when it's coming up. And smaller parts have come up before.

How did Cerberus from Mass Effect do it?
I assume lazy writing. Or the threats weren't secret. Or crime. I dunno, I haven't played Mass Effect.

...I also said something somewhere about this NOT being Puella Magi, I'm sure of it.
So, you want it to be based on magical girl shows (which almost no one watches), but not all of them, just specific (unnamed, unwatched) ones.

And @SmurfingtonTheThird has now given a takeover bid hijack offer. Not entirely sure if it's still considered a hijack if he politely offers it :P
Interesting.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499