Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 376888 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Killllllllll FRENZY!]
« Reply #1920 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:28 am »

2) Black holes do not dissapear over time. They keep growing as long as there is mass to absorb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:18 pm »

2) Black holes do not dissapear over time. They keep growing as long as there is mass to absorb.

((I said "as long as there is mass to absorb". There is plenty of mass in the arena, even in the form of air. So the black hole shouldn't collapse, unless it is not a black hole and it is another phenomenon))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 18, 2013, 01:59:10 pm »

((I said "as long as there is mass to absorb". There is plenty of mass in the arena, even in the form of air. So the black hole shouldn't collapse, unless it is not a black hole and it is another phenomenon))
((A wormhole to the land of lost socks is the only logical explanation.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:39 pm »

((People keep calling it a vacuum, but it doesn't act much like one. Nor much like a black hole. I'm hunching that Mydidia is some kind of attractive force, perhaps gravity.))
((It seems to work as an extreme lack of matter in a given point (with unnatural matter levels below 0). If it were a black hole, it wouldn't cease to exist, as it should actually grow. The vacuum also explains why it dissapears: because it has been filled.))
((Hence:))
((People keep calling it a vacuum, but it doesn't act much like one. Nor much like a black hole. I'm hunching that Mydidia is some kind of attractive force, perhaps gravity.))
((But a kind of attractive force wouldn't make matter dissapear, and also wouldn't dissapear on its own. That's why I say it's a kind of point with a negative matter))
((As to the first: It could easily crush matter similarly to how black holes do, just to a lesser extent and with a lesser mass, so it doesn't go far enough to make a gravitational singularity. As to the second: Why not?
And if it was negative matter, somehow, how would people made of Myxidia not be destroyed when they "absorb" an amount of matter equal to their mass? And while I'm at it, what happens to the matter? The closest thing to that which exists is antimatter; this and any other method of destroying matter would release energy, and this energy release would be obvious.
Further evidence: It is on the same page as the repulsive force and other words which I could classify as "energies".))

Hah ha, bother me.  Who says you're not just giving me ideas?
Are you implying that you don't know what Myxidia is?
((While discussing these things is fun, I sometimes find that as it already is defying the laws of physics this doesn't have much sense, but I will keep on discussing anyway.
Arguments:
1) If it crushes matter, then there would be at least a point of an incredible wheight where the black hole used to be. hat point would inmediately fall and maybe break the floor.
3) People made of black hole-thing has to do an endurance roll upon absorbing stuff, thus absorbing stuff weakens them, unless they roll high enough
4) As it is not "antimatter", but an impossible physically but mathematically feasible "negative matter", that, as negative numbers and positive numbers, negates its opposite.
5) The "classification" argument may be invalid considering how Toaster is not sure of what it is exactly))
((1. The arena was unaffected by any of the massive forces we have brought to bear against it. I can see a speck of neutronium or something smacking into the floor and being ignored.
2. When did I say this was a black hole? I guessed it was a massive, temporary (usually) attractive force.
3. The way I read it, absorbing stuff DISRUPTS them, because it is an uneven force on their body unlike the even force that pulling in air would be. If it was like you've claimed, absorbing stuff would be like more hit points, which would be lost over time as air was absorbed.
4. Physically impossible and extremely nonsensical. Especially since matter with negative mass ("negative energy," it's called) has a repulsive effect, not an attractive one.
5. It's circumstantial evidence, but it's circumstantial evidence on the same side as many other convincing arguments.))

((A wormhole to the land of lost socks is the only logical explanation.))
((If you weren't being satirical, I would disprove that hypothesis heavily.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »

For the record, there's a hole blown in one wall of the cavern and big chunk missing above the eastern door in the Pit room.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: September 18, 2013, 09:17:43 pm »

For the record, there's a hole blown in one wall of the cavern and big chunk missing above the eastern door in the Pit room.
:D

Quote from: Bigfoot
My turn almost got missed because I didn't post to the thread!

No subtle reminders here or anything.

Oops.  :-[
ANYWAY!

TURN THINGS! SCIENCE! AND MAGICALS!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »

((I dont know the meaning of the word satirical. seriously i dont, is it like jesting?

Anyways a wormhole between the arena and empty space aka vacuum is the only explanation that allows for sustained attraction, ignoring gravity and the dissapearance of absorbed mass.

Due to the fact that the wormhole links to vacuum the matter sucked through would simply be flung into the depths of space allowing for a practically infinite amount of matter to be absorbed.

As it is an energy based phenomenon it would be largely unaffected by gravity and therefore would not fall after creation.

Also having to make endurance rolls when absorbing large objects could ostensibly be caused by them impacting the wall of the space/time tunnel causing it to destabalise and possibly collapse in on itself.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:13 pm »

((I dont know the meaning of the word satirical. seriously i dont, is it like jesting?
((More or less.))

Anyways a wormhole between the arena and empty space aka vacuum is the only explanation that allows for sustained attraction, ignoring gravity and the dissapearance of absorbed mass.
Due to the fact that the wormhole links to vacuum the matter sucked through would simply be flung into the depths of space allowing for a practically infinite amount of matter to be absorbed.
As it is an energy based phenomenon it would be largely unaffected by gravity and therefore would not fall after creation.
Also having to make endurance rolls when absorbing large objects could ostensibly be caused by them impacting the wall of the space/time tunnel causing it to destabalise and possibly collapse in on itself.))
((Why would it not destabilize from taking in large amounts of air?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:40 pm »

((GWG, I'm going to quit this discussion about Myxida. We will eventually end up eventually in circular logic because of the "Fuck physics" initial point from where we are discussing. It was fun while it lasted, though))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:29 pm »

((Agreed.

Once we get all the words, shall we commence science on the nature of Myxidia?))
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »

((More or less.))

((Why would it not destabilize from taking in large amounts of air?))
((Its like a drainpipe in a bathtub, without external help it cannot drain the atmosphere fast enough to do damage to itself.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:54 pm »

((Air's not that much less dense than random objects...and with the quantities that it would be rushing in from, from every square inch of surface area, that is a significant quantity of air. Much more in a single turn than all the solid objects he could be expected to absorb.))
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:52 pm »

((Air's not that much less dense than random objects...and with the quantities that it would be rushing in from, from every square inch of surface area, that is a significant quantity of air. Much more in a single turn than all the solid objects he could be expected to absorb.))
((But air is also nearly weightless and therefore goes exactly where the attractive forces take it whereas a rock has much greater weight and will fly off course at the slightest provocation, the heavier the object is the greater the effects of its own inertia will be on its trajectory.

Thus heavy objects strike wall and air does not.))

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1934 on: September 19, 2013, 01:10:12 am »

Welp i found the pattern.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 198