Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 69926 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Grid-based man-shoots and People Stabs.
« Reply #570 on: August 11, 2013, 01:20:00 am »

At least until some indie game developer contacts piecewise for the right to his ideas.
You mean Toady? :P

I think we've seen pretty well that it's the DM who makes the game, not some random indie developer. But if Piecewise ever decides to develop and publish this, I definitely want to be in the loop and contributing.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 11, 2013, 01:26:02 am »

I've been putting it off a while, mostly for fun, but I'll tell ya about the Fleshers now.

They're the alternative to clockwork or steam ships, living airships and flying mounts. They're kinda neat in that you actually grow them; raising them from an egg and effecting their stats and physical characteristics using injected chemicals and proteins as they grow.

The fleshers themselves are a faction within the game, a secretive and almost cult-like organization that makes use of esoteric surface tech and reveres the planet encompassing meta-organism they call "The Worm". They're responsible for archiving what broken bits of knowledge remain from the days when man dwelt on the surface of the earth, and for keeping the floating machine city that the game takes place on airborne. They are often feared by the lower classes and ignored by the higher, but their influence is wide reaching and their effects on society are great. Players who start as one of them in the final game will find themselves playing very differently then players who decide to start from a more normal point; they have a lot of resources, but they're also very strict. You may find yourself doing patrols of the outer shell for a while before you manage to get hold of an Egg of the Worm and start raising your future mount.
((Oh god. Way to hype this up, Mr. Molyneux. Was ER your first DM'ed game? Because I think we will see a definite progression as you become more experienced. I so want to try out the different options and character builds now, a shame we will only have a single game going at once, with each of us playing a single character.))
Perhaps in the full game we could have multiple characters, and choose one to use for a specific mission?

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2013, 01:33:45 am »

I've been putting it off a while, mostly for fun, but I'll tell ya about the Fleshers now.

They're the alternative to clockwork or steam ships, living airships and flying mounts. They're kinda neat in that you actually grow them; raising them from an egg and effecting their stats and physical characteristics using injected chemicals and proteins as they grow.

The fleshers themselves are a faction within the game, a secretive and almost cult-like organization that makes use of esoteric surface tech and reveres the planet encompassing meta-organism they call "The Worm". They're responsible for archiving what broken bits of knowledge remain from the days when man dwelt on the surface of the earth, and for keeping the floating machine city that the game takes place on airborne. They are often feared by the lower classes and ignored by the higher, but their influence is wide reaching and their effects on society are great. Players who start as one of them in the final game will find themselves playing very differently then players who decide to start from a more normal point; they have a lot of resources, but they're also very strict. You may find yourself doing patrols of the outer shell for a while before you manage to get hold of an Egg of the Worm and start raising your future mount.
((Oh god. Way to hype this up, Mr. Molyneux. Was ER your first DM'ed game? Because I think we will see a definite progression as you become more experienced. I so want to try out the different options and character builds now, a shame we will only have a single game going at once, with each of us playing a single character.))
Perhaps in the full game we could have multiple characters, and choose one to use for a specific mission?
40*3... oh dear. I don't think that would work. Not to mention the obvious metagaming that would be happening. Easier to have several games running, if it comes to that. Maybe if Piecewise quits his job, but I don't think that is possible.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #573 on: August 11, 2013, 01:40:13 am »

Finished my sheet
Gentlemen.
I can't access that so...Nope.

>I'll join, Making a character right now:

Stats:
Dex:4
Agi:2
Chr:0
Int:0
Str:0
Per:2
End:0
Will:0

Skills:
Dual Weilding (ranged) - 5
Stealth - 3
I'll assume we put 1 into skullduggery and then 2 into stealth so that actually works.

Sure.

Toastarrr

(Anything not listed is 0)

Stats:

Dex: 4
Agi: 2
End: 2

Skills:

Stabbing/Piercing: 3
Hand Guns: 5

I'll take a rapier and a SMG.
Same with you. I'll assume 1 into melee, 1 into ranged, 3 into hand guns and 3 into stabby-pierce

Raalup

Stats:
Agi: 5
Dex: 1

Slashing and Cutting 5
Rifle 3

Items:
Sword
Rifle

Tada!

You said not to be specific...
And again.

Well... Both. I've seen professionally written rule sets that handle things a lot worse than what you have. Plus my emotions tend to handle a bit like a sledgehammer - I'm not very emotionally subtle, so to speak. Anyways, IN.

Dave Stevens

Stats:
Dex: 0
Agi: 3
Chr: 0
Int: 0
Str: 1
Per: 1
End: 3
Will: 0
Skills:
Ranged Weapons:1
    Handguns:2
    Rifles?:2
Medical:1
    First aid:1
Melee:1
Preferred weapons:
Shotgun
Uzi
I think I got that right.
Looks ok.

Raalup

Stats:
Agi: 5
Dex: 1

Melee 1
Slashing and Cutting 3
Ranged 1
Rifle 3

Items:
Assault Rifle
Longsword

This better then?

Oh, there you are...That looks better. Good.

Cromwell Jackson

Stats:
Dex: 3
Agi: 2
Str: 3

Melee 1
-Crushing/Hacking 1
Ranged 1
-Sprayers/Explosives 3
Fighting Opposites 2

Items:
Halberd
Rocket Launcher
Senor Carlos Danger and his rocket launcher. Good and good.

Alright, lets see thats...5 people. Rolling...2 and 4...thats...Toastar and Octobomb! Now lets just....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/at7b9lfflwh8ld3/octobomb%20sheet.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f13cyw0e09qlbp/toaster%20sheet.png

And

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmicujen70afgak/test%20arena.png

Toaster is Red, Octo is Blue. Light gray is low cover, Dark is high. Light has 5 hp, gray has 10. And at this point neither of you have a shot at the other.  So you can either post your action here or PM it if you want to get a drop on the other guy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:47 am »

Those are the coolest looking character sheets I've ever seen.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 11, 2013, 01:44:21 am »

Not the coolest, but astronomically better compared to ER. Where'd ya get them? Or Paint?

Also, not Toasterrr, bit Toastarrr

PS: Any ideas for how to make the values in the character sheets match vertically? Copypasting the numbers from Excel might work, or have a vertical line to match them off. Alternatively, maybe someone on this forum can make a program for these. It shouldn't be too hard.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:49:43 am by Thearpox »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #576 on: August 11, 2013, 01:50:01 am »

At least until some indie game developer contacts piecewise for the right to his ideas.
You mean Toady? :P

I think we've seen pretty well that it's the DM who makes the game, not some random indie developer. But if Piecewise ever decides to develop and publish this, I definitely want to be in the loop and contributing.
I intend to, once it's all put to paper, throw it up somewhere like Drivethrurpg as a "Pay what you want". Of course by that point it will probably consist of 3 booklets like this, one for standard player stuff, one for the ship building and related items, and one for the GM which would include world stuff like lore, roll tables, maps of the Cloudbearer, etc. Not sure how far off that is, but I'm working my way there, slowly.

MSpaint. Not normally called "Cool".

Not the coolest, but astronomically better compared to ER. Where'd ya get them? Or Paint?

Also, not Toasterrr, bit Toastarrr
Made'em. And I'll change that if toaster actually cares. If not, I'll go take a nap.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 11, 2013, 02:02:23 am »

MSpaint. Not normally called "Cool".
I call it cool, it's all I know how to use.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:07 am »

You should definetly sell this game, it could totally become more popular then DnD.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 11, 2013, 03:48:08 am »

You could also post about it in other places, like /tg/ or so.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:20 am »

Wow. That is a pretty complete rulebook.

Spoiler: Pilate the Pilot (click to show/hide)
This is the pvp test :P.
It is?
Dangit. I forgot weapons too. Well, don't do this kind of thing late at night...new character incoming. Except that the test is starting.

You should definetly sell this game, it could totally become more popular then DnD.
I doubt it. It has great potential, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 11, 2013, 06:29:57 am »

Your move, Toastarr. Sent my pm, but will probably end up dying or something. Anyway, PM sent!
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 11, 2013, 12:59:34 pm »

Moe Ridger

Stats:
Dex: 0
Agi: 0
Chr: 0
Int: 0
Str: 2
Per: 0
End: 6
Will: 0

Skills:
Crushing and Hacking 8

Items Desired:
Sledgehammer
Flamethrower
Clerical errors have it in for me :/.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 11, 2013, 01:50:25 pm »

I'd actually prefer one point in stabby moved to general ranged, but it's not really a huge deal for the test.

PM sent.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #584 on: August 11, 2013, 02:20:20 pm »

Currently working on the airship design documents. Basic body design continues to advance; with the current system you can create ships of any size or shape and the system should be able to deal with them. Damage models may require a bit of abstract thought though; what with having to mentally "stack" the different levels of blueprints to see the whole in your head.

Preliminary tests with the indomitable doughnut ship are looking positive. Powerful cannonballs punch through multiple walls, buzzblades ricochet around inside the structure and the Ultra cannon's explosive shell plows straight through the thing so fast that it doesn't even have time to detonate. Next we test the "Snake" a ship, a ship that looks sort of like a sin wave, undulating up and down across several vertical levels and requiring many sets of stairs.

Now, on to that melee...

Toastarrr and Dave begin their dual with an immediate sprint to cover, the central high cover blocking any chance they have to shoot at each other until the very instant they reach their destinations and dive behind cover. Toastarrr decides to hold his fire; technically he could take potshots at Dave's hiding place, but Dave seems to be hunkered down and not showing himself, giving Toastarrr no chance to hit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmicujen70afgak/test%20arena.png
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 55