Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 69937 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Rocket man.
« Reply #660 on: August 14, 2013, 11:25:51 pm »

Hah, just a flesh wound. Now come here, ya weakling!

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 14, 2013, 11:26:19 pm »

(Looks at two Piecewise posts in a row.) And that is the problem with PM'ing everything. The thread is practically dead.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 14, 2013, 11:41:12 pm »

Well, I would post in the thread, if I was in the match. But I'm not. :(

I WANT FIGHTS
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #663 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:42 pm »

Well, I would post in the thread, if I was in the match. But I'm not. :(

I WANT FIGHTS
Fill out a character sheet and I'll throw you in vs whoever wins.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:27 am »

So far that's looking like me.

I'm considering just waiting to see how long it takes for him to bleed out at this point. He doesn't have any points in medicine.

Sending PM.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 15, 2013, 07:29:13 am »

question aboout modular airship test. Will we just have infinite parts?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 15, 2013, 08:46:34 am »

Delicious blood.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:47 am »

Oh dear. Well, PM sent.

Regarding weapons, I have come up with my own system and thought you might be interested - weapons are organized into very broad classes, eg. Pistol SMG Shotgun Chaingun etc, then each weapon has a certain number of modification slots, each modification is different, such as 50% larger clip, Auto fire, etc. Just 2 cents on how to keep customisation high and complexity low.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #668 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

question aboout modular airship test. Will we just have infinite parts?
Yes and no. Your only limit is your money. Everything has a cost but there are no limits on parts, you can have as many of any part as you can afford. It will become clearer once the manual is put up. Cael's been busy, so I'm still waiting on his input before I post something incomplete.

Oh dear. Well, PM sent.

Regarding weapons, I have come up with my own system and thought you might be interested - weapons are organized into very broad classes, eg. Pistol SMG Shotgun Chaingun etc, then each weapon has a certain number of modification slots, each modification is different, such as 50% larger clip, Auto fire, etc. Just 2 cents on how to keep customisation high and complexity low.
Hmm. Well, that seems like it would be good for weapon modification, something that hasn't come up yet, but in terms of the skill system I'm not sure. I mean, I could split the skills up further; ie what is just crushing and hacking now becomes Axes, cleavers, hammers,clubs, maces, etc. But they would all still be strength weapons and doing that could result in overspecialization; characters that are really good with say an ax but terrible with everything else. That we end up with melee and ranged just becoming singular stat skills and then people would end up pigeon holed.

See, the reason this is set up as it is, is because I've tried several different combat systems before and they always had the problem of either forcing people into a narrow stat focus or creating god stats. Agility, for instance, since it determined who attacked first and if you could dodge. Or forcing someone to stat heavy into dex just so they could use any ranged weapons. I like this system because it lets people have long and short range capacities with a variety of skills and none of them stand out as massively better then the others. I'm rambling.

If the current system really bugs people I can just change it to be something more traditional; an Agi for who goes first, dex for aiming, strength for damage in melee, etc. sort of thing. Or split the weapons skills up further.  Although, I'd like to see it perform in melee before I scrap it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:50:01 pm by piecewise »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »

Although, I'd like to see it perform in melee before I scrap it.
You want people to melee, you have to give people incentive to melee. Currently, it means sacrificing a shooting turn, and running into your opponent.

And that's probably exactly the way it will perform in game. i.e.: not be used much. Mind you, I'm not anti-gun. It's just that this is not a JRPG, and people aren't going to use swords when they can use guns. Unless you give them reasons that is.

I'll shut up about the rest of what you said since you already heard a lot of me. Maybe I'll start speaking again on the topic after several days.

after all, most weapons share the same features
... :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:34:15 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 15, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »

Oh no, I like the combat system! For melee, just have the the str dex and agi weapons generalized into 3 categories - after all, most weapons share the same features - str hits slow but hard, etc. Then you name them on a case by case basis and change anything required.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 15, 2013, 03:51:19 pm »

If you want players to be melee, give them incentives. Swords can't hit enemies on nearby ships, not ones across your ship, or really anywhere very far from arm's reach, but if you add charging mechanics or something people might take up the sword.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/THNPX31.png
My character.

I'd like a Longsword and a Revolver, if I can. Revolver is dex, right?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 15, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

By the way, are the any disadvantages to using a rifle butt as a strength weapon, compared to a hammer?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #674 on: August 15, 2013, 08:46:23 pm »

Oh, I wasn't saying I want to force or even encourage it. I just want to see how the system handles it. I'm curious. Anyways:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toastarrr sidles along the wall and pops out around the corner as Dave tries to run north. The bullet catches Dave straight in the throat; it tears through his larynx and clips his carotid artery. He stumbles forward, into the high cover of the wall, gurgling blood through the hole in his throat.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 55