Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 487676 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Order of the Stick: 985 Down the Winding Path
« Reply #1215 on: May 14, 2015, 12:50:25 am »

Huh...

For being an acolyte unused to their blindfold, that gnome caught the coin pouch awfully well... Its probably nothing, but I'm suspicious of them and how easily they gave away important information.
I don't think there's too much to read in to there. I might be wrong, but "did he just say 'vampire'?" is probably indicative of a lot more trouble.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 14, 2015, 12:58:48 am »

Oh hey, blindfolded cleric are coincidentally immune to gaze attacks that do things like dominate their wills.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:28 am »

Things are definetly not going the way vampire spirit wants them to go.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:12 am »

Given that the last group of on-screen clerics who saw the vampire tried to Turn him without another word(besides "Turn Undead!"), it's probably just an instinctual reaction to the walking dead walking down the street. Or possibly guidance from their respective deities who are highly likely very aware of what Hel is doing but cannot directly tell their clerics what's going on but can still tell their clerics what to do.

The real question is, what the hell in Hel's name is Durkon trying to do? If he needs a cleric that's powerful enough to cast Resurrection, maybe he just needs a cleric that can cast 7th-level spells. But what spell? Refuge? Greater Scrying? Those are the only two I can think of that might be useful for Hel. And Durkon should be able to cast those already anyway. Alternately, he's trying to remove any possible source of a resurrection.

Huh...

For being an acolyte unused to their blindfold, that gnome caught the coin pouch awfully well...

She held out her hand when Roy said "Here's a donation to your temple.", then he threw it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 14, 2015, 11:37:12 am »

Durkula apparently is looking for something a bit more specific than that, given that he's apparently fishing for an excuse to drag Roy out after them.  Given that we have a situation where a large number of high-ranking clerics all gathering, ostensibly in secret (judging by the fact that they kept largely mum about it without any celebrations or feasts, and the only person willing to talk about it was a single newly-minted acolyte who apparently didn't know she wasn't supposed to speak of it), and including at least one high priestess, I wouldn't actually be surprised to find that all of the visiting clerics were high priests or priestesses, or at least their closest and most powerful confidants.  Hel (and by extension Durkula) knows about whatever is happening, but she didn't have any clerics as powerful as them before Durkon since they kept getting killed by adventurers, so she couldn't participate.  As Roy notes, the Pinnacle Mountains are a haystack covering 2000 miles/3200 km; that wouldn't be "Good enough" unless Durkula already knows where the needle is hidden or has a really good magnet.  It's described as some sort of pilgrimage, which seems to suggest that there's a specific, religiously-significant destination they're heading to, but it's apparently one that Durkon himself would not and does not know about, given that Durkula's going through this whole song-and-dance instead of mentioning to Roy that, hey, there's this cleric retreat in the Pinnacle Mountains that we could try; he wants to "stumble" across them by "accident," very probably at the last minute to avoid the whole Turn Undead thing mentioned above.

Essentially, I don't think he's looking for a cleric capable of casting Resurrection or other 7th level spells; as you say, Akura, he can do that himself.  I think, rather that the operative question is: what kind of pilgrimage would call for so many powerful clerics to gather together at the same time in the rear end of nowhere, outside of dwarven lands?  One that involves all of the North Gods except Hel?  Are the vague situational similarities with another outcast Evil God we know about with a plot to blackmail the gods in order to ensure their own power and the protection of their followers, the Dark One, bugging anyone except me? 

EDIT: Thought of another question.  Why would Durkula need Roy and the Order of the Stick, instead of just heading off himself in the night?  Also, and it might tie into that question, Durkula wants to get there ahead of the rush - he wants a fast ship to take him along the pilgrimage, and explicitly not to actually follow the pilgrims.

EDIT 2: ...he doesn't want the clerics at all.  He wants to get to the pilgrimage site before them.  Let's say you have some sort of powerful ritual you need to cast with a bunch of high-level casters in a particular location; what would happen if the place where you do it in was secretly contaminated or desecrated by a high-level but opposing caster before you ever got there? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:45:55 am by Culise »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 14, 2015, 11:59:10 am »

For one, Roy and company would likely go out of their way to get their friend's body back... and they ain't exactly a newbie adventuring party.  At least for now, they provide very effective cover, protection and a safe source of replenishment.

Yea, the pilgrimage site is the likely destination...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 14, 2015, 12:01:18 pm »

Huh...

For being an acolyte unused to their blindfold, that gnome caught the coin pouch awfully well... Its probably nothing, but I'm suspicious of them and how easily they gave away important information.
I don't think there's too much to read in to there. I might be wrong, but "did he just say 'vampire'?" is probably indicative of a lot more trouble.

I don't see how much trouble it COULD cause. It's already common knowledge (due to their temple searches) in the town that a black human male is running around with a Dwarf vampire, so one more cleric finding out can't make much difference.

Now, Roy insisting on seeing this Elf, THAT is going to be a big deal - particularly if that particular elf heard about Roy and Durkula at one of the other temples and is prepared to counter vampire tricks.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »

New one is up.

Not what I expected from a cleric.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 986 Inn Doubt
« Reply #1223 on: May 18, 2015, 12:37:03 pm »

More importantly, she seems like the kind who would actually tell them what Durkula needs

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »

New one is up.

Ditzes manage to get into every profession somehow. Fantasy professions are no different, I'd imagine.
Which is wierd, since Wisdom is the ability of common sense and Clerics.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 18, 2015, 01:39:15 pm »

New one is up.

Ditzes manage to get into every profession somehow. Fantasy professions are no different, I'd imagine.
Perhaps it's true for PCs but realistically, some characters would simply be incompetent at their jobs. Scatterbrained Clerics, ugly-ass, boring Bards... Rule of Fun and/or Drama.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 18, 2015, 01:42:31 pm »

New one is up.

Perhaps it's true for PCs but realistically, some characters would simply be incompetent at their jobs. Scatterbrained Clerics, ugly-ass, boring Bards... Rule of Fun and/or Drama.

They might be very wise in some things, and not so much in the other. After all, you can get very intelligent people who can be thick as bricks in everything outside their area of expertise.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 18, 2015, 02:05:02 pm »

Trait: Trusting - overly trusting with strangers
Skill - Skullduggery: Inept

Probably much more interested in what she is doing/food then bothersome social things like caring about who knows what she is doing and trying to figure out if the people they are talking to are belligerent or not.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 18, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »

Also a new blog post.  The elf priestess is based on the character of a Kickstarter backer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 18, 2015, 10:54:29 pm »

The fighter is also named on a much respected GiTP forum member who died of cancer in 2013
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 311