Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255198 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2355 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:57 am »

"The Moon, huh.  Yeaaaaah..."  Larry is also silent and avoiding eye contact, then jumps at the conversation change.  "But yeah, magic.  Good stuff, yeah.  Cal gave me some holy or something, so I wouldn't die or whatever out here, and it helped with the magic.  How's that all work together?  Gotta figure out how to get the most out of the power."

((Exposition!))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:19 am »

Harry! Everyone knows how something can buzz sadly, it a low oscillating drone that pierces your heart and makes you know of all the wrongdoings of your life all the... all the horrors you have wrought on people coming down to exact terrible vengeance under the soundtrack of all of your repressed hatred, your own little world of emotions shown as the  tainted and despicable shrivelled shadow of what it once was...
And that is why you should never invite me to parties.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:00 am »

"The Moon, huh.  Yeaaaaah..."  Larry is also silent and avoiding eye contact, then jumps at the conversation change.  "But yeah, magic.  Good stuff, yeah.  Cal gave me some holy or something, so I wouldn't die or whatever out here, and it helped with the magic.  How's that all work together?  Gotta figure out how to get the most out of the power."

((Exposition!))

"You're part angel now, bathically."

"Yeah, that's one of the ways you can go. Get more power from the Source, and you slowly become more than that. I don't know if you can become a full angel, but I don't really see why not, either."

She stops rooting through the pile.

"You know, Beagle, I'm sort of wondering if it even is here."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:04 am »

((I like how everyone with magic treats all this insanity extremely casually.  "Oh hey, you found a guy that shoots canned goods and watermelons?  Have a drink!" and "Oh look, I'm suddenly in a house floating above Saturn.  Think I'll show off my hat and smut tricks!"))
((Don't forget "I appear to be horribly mutated and in a realm of my own creation populated by sapient undergarments. Better make a deal with the dark mold gods and lay siege to a city."))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:22 am »

Larry nods and grins a bit.  "Heh.  Sweet.  Do you still do that whole flaming sword bit or whatever it was?"

He glances at the pile.  "I could try to get some more if you can't find it.  Cal probably knows where more are too; some pawn shop guy had a bunch but he moved them somewhere."

((Also, question; how do multiple plusses work?  If I cast a divine spell (two separate +1s) and get a natural five, is it 5+1->ExplodeDieResult+1?  What if the power roll becomes +2?  How does that affect a 5?  Just curious because Larry could become overshoot city with divine spells if he adds more affinity or picks up more bonuses.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 23, 2014, 12:00:22 pm »

Larry nods and grins a bit.  "Heh.  Sweet.  Do you still do that whole flaming sword bit or whatever it was?"

He glances at the pile.  "I could try to get some more if you can't find it.  Cal probably knows where more are too; some pawn shop guy had a bunch but he moved them somewhere."

"I'm not really sure what you mean by the flaming sword bit, so I guess not. And yeah, conjure up some more, please."

((Also, question; how do multiple plusses work?  If I cast a divine spell (two separate +1s) and get a natural five, is it 5+1->ExplodeDieResult+1?  What if the power roll becomes +2?  How does that affect a 5?  Just curious because Larry could become overshoot city with divine spells if he adds more affinity or picks up more bonuses.))

Two +1s are actually something I do purely to differentiate origin (so that you know that the origins are different) - there's no difference mechanically between a +1+1 and a +2, so if you have a 5+1+1, that's the same as a 5+2 and roughly equivalent to a 6-->4 in spell research and a 6-->5 for most other things. This system is actually geared to decrease prevalence of overshots as attributes increase, with them becoming impossible (along with critical failures) right when you get a +3. To get a +3, you need to either specialize uselessly hard (kind of like Dave right now) or accrue contextual bonuses in combination with high Affinity (like Larry) - Larry currently has a 1/3rd possibility of getting a +3 on Affinity with a Divine or Angel spell, and that's with all of what he's done so far.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »

"I'm not really sure what you mean by the flaming sword bit, so I guess not. And yeah, conjure up some more, please."

Two +1s are actually something I do purely to differentiate origin (so that you know that the origins are different) - there's no difference mechanically between a +1+1 and a +2, so if you have a 5+1+1, that's the same as a 5+2 and roughly equivalent to a 6-->4 in spell research and a 6-->5 for most other things. This system is actually geared to decrease prevalence of overshots as attributes increase, with them becoming impossible (along with critical failures) right when you get a +3. To get a +3, you need to either specialize uselessly hard (kind of like Dave right now) or accrue contextual bonuses in combination with high Affinity (like Larry) - Larry currently has a 1/3rd possibility of getting a +3 on Affinity with a Divine or Angel spell, and that's with all of what he's done so far.
Specialize uselessly hard?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »

Specialize uselessly hard?

Well, not exactly uselessly hard, since you can still cast magic somewhat effectively if given a turn to prepare, but still past the point of diminishing returns. Not that Mind is the worst stat to specialize in, of course.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 23, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

Delicious!

Drink/eat the concoction.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »

"Can do!"

Vomit up more smut.

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)

So how does a +3 work if it prevents overshoots?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 23, 2014, 12:26:30 pm »

So how does a +3 work if it prevents overshoots?

An overshot happens if you roll 6, then less than 4 - if you have a +3, the lowest you can roll is 6-->1+3, which is 6-->4, and a critical success. Naturally, a 6-->6+3 will also have many elements classically associated with overshoots, but this is unlikely to harm you or others you have not intended to harm in the first place (unless said harm lies from misunderstanding the full logical consequences of a certain action, like conjuring a storm of cocaine centering on your own location). So no real ER-style overshoots for you past that point, though I feel that maybe I tend to be a bit lenient with them even when they are actually supposed to happen.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:54 pm »

Ah.  I was thinking that a 6 was an overshoot regardless, while the exploding dice determined the direction and magnitude of the extra effects (so a 6->4 would be a milder overshoot with generally helpful (though still not free of unintended consequences) while a 6->1 would be "you did what you wanted to do but now you've got a new problem that needs attention now."  I get what you're saying now.

And nothing can prevent the stupidity of characters from putting themselves in danger.  Not that we'd want it to, anyway.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2367 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:51 pm »

"Because... it might be related to all those strange thongs happening around the city lately? That sounds like a good enough reason to investigate to me." Eta repeated herself, kinda confused from the question, given that she had already answered it.
"Yes, I suppose we've established that already. Follow me."
"Uuuhh... Sure, just a moment, I need to make sure my friend is OK. Where are we going officer...?"

See if Lois is capable of walking with my assistance.

((Hopefully she just wants to talk to me and not hand me over to the MIB or worse.))

"Because... it might be related to all those strange thongs happening around the city lately?

((Freud appreciates your typo there.))
((Whoever pot I next to O needs to be shot. Because it is a valid word, my spell-checker doesn't underline it so I miss it.
Still, given that "underwear" is a valid spell component word, strange thongs probably have been happening around the city lately, as illustrated by the underwear comet.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »

"Uuuhh... Sure, just a moment, I need to make sure my friend is OK. Where are we going officer...?"

See if Lois is capable of walking with my assistance.

She seems quite capable of walking with your assistance, though very much unsteady on her feet.

"To the local precinct. I'd like to ask you some questions. And to maybe get some medical aid for your friend if she needs it."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2369 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:24 pm »

"Uhh... Sure. Lead the way."

Follow.

((I can think of so many ways this can go wrong...
Trusting others is in Eta's character. And I have a lawyer with me. And powerful magic on my side.
Despite that, I've watched enough Law and Order\Criminal Minds to know that things can go terribly wrong in a million ways when police and prosecutors are involved.
Especially when there's a chance you accidentally became a wanted magi-terrorist and then booked a hotel room that later became the scene of a magi-crime you have no knowledge of.))
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 244