Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 821886 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2295 on: March 04, 2017, 02:34:42 pm »

Mountains are also climate controlled, so if you're on a mountain you can try and dig deeper, under 'overhead mountain'.  It can spawn bugs, but it's also a decent way to avoid instant overheat.

I just don't like bugs... I turned them off and never looked back.

Challenge me with sieges and raids... not this cheapness :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 04, 2017, 03:00:11 pm »

Insects and exploding power lines are pretty much 100% cheating.  Neither have any good defense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

Exploding power lines is the most hilarious

So I can build a geothermal power plant... But I lack the knowledge to build fuses?

I am pretty sure... and feel free to quote me on this... that one technology begets another here.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 04, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »

It's not surges though.  The event literally describes 'a fault in the power line' which implies the wires are frayed or not insulated well.  Which would be a construction problem, which you CANT take effort to prevent.

There's two mods I've seen, one (my favored) adds fuses and circuit breakers, the other adds heavy wire which doesn't explode ever.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: March 04, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »

Exploding wires would be fine if they were caused by poor construction quality, so you'd create the risk yourself by leaving poor wiring around and/or using unskilled constructors in the first place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: March 04, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »

Man I wish I could make my construction quality mods work... The one where they will keep trying to make something until it hits a minimum.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: March 04, 2017, 04:29:42 pm »

I use the fuses mod. It's interesting.

I dislike that the early fuses are, well, fuses. You need the multianalyzer to get circuit breakers because for some reason it's spacer tech

As a sidenote: Hastur: The main problem I have with this guy is that it has one of the best spells in principle (summon Byakhee) but it's heavily bugged, and the rest are not so good. IMO The King in Yellow should provide insta-prisoner conversion or somesuch.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: March 04, 2017, 10:35:19 pm »

Haha, now I'm playing on an even more intensely hot environment.
This heat wave has bumped outside temperatures up to over 60 degrees, and it's bad enough in the mountain where it isn't far off 40-- I've been encouraging everyone to "chill" in the freezer. Naturally, though, the one thing on everyone's mind is giving the new horseshoes pin outside a whirl. Huckin' ringers as the blazing sun scorches the flesh off their bodies right before their eyes. Nice going, guys. :))   
Things were getting pretty bad, we had one of the starting group badly injured and  threatening to go berserk again, a newcomer with unfortunate pyromaniac tendencies (who was a very good medic which I needed in this area to deal with infections), and everyone else lying crammed in the freezer with minor injuries and ready to snap as well.

The heatwave kept dragging on, temperatures outside usually above sixty.

Our salvation was a cargo pod.
A cargo pod filled with friggin' spliffs.

It was a pretty amusing moment, I set my fast-walker to unrestricted zones, made a stockpile and had him run out through the deadly heat to grab them. His heatstroke went up a level just during that quick trip, but afterwards things were sweet. Administering joints is pretty handy, not to mention hilarious. Everyone was chill enough to last out the heatwave without killing each other... now we just have to scrounge up some food before the munchies sets in.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:00 am »

I've been having a blast thus far playing Rimworld that I made my own drop pod strike team! :D Of two people (because we're high tech folks with armor versus a whole pirate outpost, in melee)

After devastating the outpost (and quickly claiming the doors so they turn their allegiance to ME and lock the enemies in), and being sadly too slow to catch up with one person, the imagery is beautiful (albeit full of dead people :<), I carry the essentials I brought alongside my two colonists--steel and components, alongside chemfuel. I plan to drop pod back HOME.

And it is beautifully possible. After strapping one pod filled with loot off (and hilariously being able to target anywhere possible that isn't overhead mountain, crashing the loot pod into my constructed roof storage warehouse), I quickly make another one after deconstructing sandbags (which...give steel) and mining for a few components. I made a caravan beforehand so there's a 24 hour timer remaining. o_o At this point, there's 3 hours left. With a note to self: Do not drop in tired folks--they were extremely tired just because I spent the yesterday not giving them sleep ._.;

Now to load one pod and deconstruct its platform for loot efficiency--and my first colonist is away! (She's the other colonist's wife), and the drop pod lands safely into my base with the normal deviation of around 5 tiles and breaking another roof. :P
I imagine the last colonist being all methodical and organized despite sleep deprived and needing to use the bathroom (because I have that mod which adds hygiene...), and as soon as she loads herself into the pod, as the person is the last one to load into the pod...

Bugs happen
And this is the game kind of bug, not the in-game infestation or otherwise.

The game snapped to world view and nothing is left of my colonist and the base/outpost. Checking the social tab of the previous colonist, her wife was 'now part of the nearest non-tribe friendly faction'. >_> And that was purely because I assume 'there were no "colonists" on map'. And there was no way to reclaim or otherwise get her back.
Well that ruined quite a good raid. :-\ Fun with early access games... I hope this gets fixed soon as I've no idea how to report these.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: March 05, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »

So I have this Cthonian that popped up in the other corner of the map and started demanding sacrifices, while emitting this aura of insanity to pressure me.

Only... the damn thing is on the other side of the map. So it doesn't hurt my base.

Not only that, but the aura of insanity has already wrecked some would-be raiders.

Right now I'm better off sharing the parcel with DEEP SEVEN than either hunting them or granting them a sacrifice so that they leave.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: March 05, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »

So I have this Cthonian that popped up in the other corner of the map and started demanding sacrifices, while emitting this aura of insanity to pressure me.

Only... the damn thing is on the other side of the map. So it doesn't hurt my base.

Not only that, but the aura of insanity has already wrecked some would-be raiders.

Right now I'm better off sharing the parcel with DEEP SEVEN than either hunting them or granting them a sacrifice so that they leave.
Is... is this a Laundry Files reference? Could it be?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »

Is... is this a Laundry Files reference? Could it be?
All this possible talk about Cthulu (and I have no idea what that is but it seems interesting >_> just like how I grew up with Stephen King thanks to my dad's collection of books), and I'm interested in this one mod--the 'cosmic horrors' bit.

Problem is, I plan on only downloading that one and it adds an 'insanity' thing. The only thing I've noticed via skimming is the 'notebooks and otherwise' are in another 'industrial mod', but I fear that that may overwrite stuff I have. :<
Could I ask tips from nice folks here about this ._. My colonists are very happy that their mood bar is almost always full given the care I give them, and I usually play in hardcore mode (not the 'auto save without your permission' mode though, it messes up my laptop)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2307 on: March 06, 2017, 01:49:02 am »

a) Any changes made by properly installed mods will be (with regards to a new game) immediately reverted upon disabling the mods. Use a new game to check for mod incompatibilities for possible but easily spotted conflicts.

b) In general, furniture and item mods are relatively independent of other mods. For Call of Cthulhu, that mod is practically a requirement to combat the effects of the vast number of sources of insanity. If you're alright with the other things that come with the Call of Cthulhu mods, then I'm sure the Industrial items pack will be fine as well.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: March 06, 2017, 03:27:38 am »

Worth noting that sanity loss is an affliction rather than a direct mood effect. One you sjould strive to deal with too, as when it goes to extreme your colonists go permanuts.

Also worth noting that eating strange meals results in sanity loss. Consider selling or refining the meat.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:45 am »

Consider selling or refining the meat.

Yeah the meat is probably the biggest issue with those mods.

I've used the strategy of... Just don't butcher them, and let them rot outside somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 278