Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 3852 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Does anyone else have this problem?
« on: October 19, 2013, 01:37:03 am »

This isn't so much as a "problem" as it is a really dumb quirk of mine, and I want to know if anyone else has this issue or what your thoughts on it are.

At the place where I work, we don't have an employee restroom, we have to use the same one as the customers, which doesn't really bother me, because the men's bathroom isn't actually "public", there's only a single stall, and there's even a lock on the door.
The bathroom is arranged as a U, with the sink at one end, and the toilet at the other end, and the door comes in from the side of the sink, so there is a little wall blocking line of sight to the toilet.
Now, if you walk in, and look around the door, there is a mirror on the wall that lets you see to the toilet without actually having to step all the way into the room, just peer your head inside, which I like, because walking in on someone on the toilet because they didn't realize there was a lock on the door is embarrassing for both parties.
Now here's the issue.

I've developed this routine that I do whenever I go to the restroom. I walk up to the door, listen for 1 second for any obvious noises, then knock 3 times, wait 2 seconds for a reply, then peer in the door at the window....
And then I leap into the restroom, and face the toilet to make sure that there isn't a vampire sitting there that I couldn't see through the mirror.

I am not making this up.

For the record, I don't believe that vampires exist, I don't believe in any other creatures that could be invisible through a mirror, and I don't think that a vampire would be using the toilet if they did exist, either.
I have literally no idea as to why I do this, and I want to know if anyone has this, or if I'm just totally paranoid or something.
I've never heard of a problem like this before.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:35 am »

I've developed this routine that I do whenever I go to the restroom. I walk up to the door, listen for 1 second for any obvious noises, then knock 3 times, wait 2 seconds for a reply, then peer in the door at the window....

Okay, sounds somewhat reasonable. No big deal.

And then I leap into the restroom, and face the toilet to make sure that there isn't a vampire sitting there that I couldn't see through the mirror.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hang up some garlic in there, i guess.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:15:14 am »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:18:12 am »

Haha, well the only advice I have is to not be embarrassed by this little quirk of yours. In fact I'd use it as a sort of badge of pride for being a bit eccentric.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:20 am »

It's pretty normal to do things like this. People might laugh if they see you literally jumping into the restroom. But the overall principle is normal, if silly.

For example, for years I touched the lightswitch when I walked into an already-lit room in my house. To make sure I wasn't subject to some sort of illusion affecting my eyes but not hands, I guess. Not that I believed such a thing was possible.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:20:45 pm »

Hang up some garlic in there, i guess.
I would, but I don't think the customers would appreciate it much. Or my boss, for that matter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's awesome.

Haha, well the only advice I have is to not be embarrassed by this little quirk of yours. In fact I'd use it as a sort of badge of pride for being a bit eccentric.
I'm not embarrassed by it, just confused. Not sure about a badge of pride, though, but thanks.

It's pretty normal to do things like this. People might laugh if they see you literally jumping into the restroom. But the overall principle is normal, if silly.

For example, for years I touched the lightswitch when I walked into an already-lit room in my house. To make sure I wasn't subject to some sort of illusion affecting my eyes but not hands, I guess. Not that I believed such a thing was possible.
Thanks, and I don't let people actually see me do this, I first take a normal step in, to make sure I'm not seen by any people outside, and then jump in and pull out the wooden stakes that I keep in my back pocket.
The Derail Thread

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »

Thats actually a good contingency, if you ask me.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »

If it helps, I find it really difficult to close car doors due to unpredictable negative reinforcement from static shocks.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »

Vampires and illusions and shocks, fine, just make sure you have always calculated an efficient escape strategy to deal with the real threat - *velociraptors!* http://xkcd.com/87/  http://xkcd.com/135/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:29:44 pm by gimlet »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »

Vampires and illusions and shocks, fine, just make sure you have always calculated an efficient escape strategy to deal with the real threat - *velociraptors!*
Pssshhht, They all dead, everybody knows that Abraham Lincoln wiped them out in the Cold War.

Right after he repelled the Mongols.
The Derail Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »

If I know somebody else is in the bathroom with me, I absolutely can't do my business. Nothing will happen until they leave. I'll just sit, completely silent, wishing for them to go away.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:24:31 pm »

If I know somebody else is in the bathroom with me, I absolutely can't do my business. Nothing will happen until they leave. I'll just sit, completely silent, wishing for them to go away.
This is why I'm so happy my workplace has a lock on the bathroom door, I have the same problem.
The Derail Thread

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:26 am »

It isn't quite that bad for me, but I hate public bathrooms with a burning passion as well.  I generally go well out of my way to avoid them.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:05 am »

It isn't quite that bad for me, but I hate public bathrooms with a burning passion as well.  I generally go well out of my way to avoid them.

Just so long as you go well out of everyone else's way as well that shouldn't be a problem.

;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:40:15 am »

I've been on long drives and decided to duck my head down and to the side in case there's a sniper trying to shoot me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: [1] 2